awkward moment on CNN this morning

Started by bluegrass, Jan 22, 2004, 06:09 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

bluegrass

I was watching the news and having my coffee this morning and they were doing that segment on CNN where a British talking head comes on to tell us what's in the papers across the pond.  The subject this morning was the inquiry into the alleged suicide of the British official with all the inside information on the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

Anyway,  one of the papers the woman held up had on its front page a very small headline relating to this story while in gigantic bold letters was another headline that read something like  "WITNESS SAYS, I SAW WIFE BEATING HAWKING' -- regarding the recent allegations that brilliant wheelchair bound Stephen Hawking has been frequenting emergency rooms with severe injuries lately and refusing to reveal the source of these injuries.  It's been alleged his wife is attacking him.  Check MND for a story on this.  The two female anchors kind of did a double take at the headline with a semi-disturbed and perplexed look on both of their faces.  Of course neither said anything about it.  

Another interesting fact is that if you read the story from the link at MND, you'll see that they suspect the wife of "suffering" from Munchausen syndrorome by proxy.  God, they'll look for any excuse to let a woman off the hook.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

bluegrass

In the last few minutes since I posted this, I've been looking around for more info on Hawking.  Abolutely nothing at CNN.com, but a few stories at Yahoo news which were interesting.  All the reports call it alleged assault with allegations going back to 2000.  One of the stories mentioned that he was left in his wheelchair in the garden of his home on the hottest day of the year and suffered heat stroke and severe sunburn.  Wonder who could have left him out there?  Not one story mentions his current wife as a possible suspect.  The most recent story quotes him as requesting the police drop the investigation as the allegations are untrue.  Though it is quite easy to threaten someone confined to a wheelchair.

One interesting story I found at CNN.com was about a tell all book his previous wife has written about how awful he is and how hard it was to deal with his disability.  She eventually began an affair with a family friend during the marriage.  A story on yahoo said he married his current wife "after he left his previous wife.

There was also a mention from the tell all book that once when he was suffering from pneumonia, his first wife considered turning off his life support.  This guy's like another Isaac Newton, but she wants what she wants....
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

Sir Jessy of Anti

You have to be one sick mother fucker to beat someone as disabled as Hawking.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

Sir Jessy of Anti

NURSE: I SAW HAWKING'S WIFE ATTACK HIM

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13843387_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-NURSE--I-SAW-WIFE-ATTACKING-HAWKING-name_page.html

ELAINE CUT HIS THROAT, BROKE HIS WRIST AND MADE NURSES WATCH THEM HAVING SEX - EX CARER'S CLAIMS YESTERDAY Jan 22 2004
EXCLUSIVE: WHAT I SAW IN HAWKING HOME

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13843393_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-ELAINE-CUT-HIS-THROAT--BROKE-HIS-WRIST-AND-MADE-NURSES-WATCH-THEM-HAVING-SEX---EX-CARER-S-CLAIMS-YESTERD-name_page.html

Assault on helpless Hawking
- Police investigate allegation of several recent injuries
(includes life-support shut-off claim)

Laura Gentry, who helped transcribe Brief History, defended the professor. She said: "Hearing him described as a cruel, scheming man really upsets me."

Gentry claimed that in 1985, when the scientist was suffering from pneumonia, Jane Hawking, who was already involved with Hellyer-Jones, contemplated switching off her husband's life-support machine.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1040120/asp/frontpage/story_2806334.asp
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

bluegrass

Quote from: "Sir Jessy of Anti"
You have to be one sick mother fucker to beat someone as disabled as Hawking.

Which makes me ponder how all this will eventually be portrayed in the media.  Probably something like -- women are so much more often the caretakers of the infirm in their families and look how they crack under the strain because no one else will help them.

devia

This may sound a bit crass but I would think that you'd have to be a bit odd to want to marry him.

I can understand a student memorized by brillance, but to have that mean you would marry someone you have no chance of having sexual relations with, who could have very little interaction with any children, and who would need you to give constant care to seems a bit odd.

Cetainly much different then a spouse becoming in need of care after marriage, or marrying someone with a disabilty but still able to be a partner.

nebulousone

Still not a reason to beat the shit out of him on a regular basis.

Hi, there's the door.  Get to it if you're not happy.
i]Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.[/i]
~Abraham Lincoln

PowerMan72

Whew!  Devia you're tough!  Cripples need love too!           :P
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

bluegrass

Quote from: "nebulousone"
Still not a reason to beat the shit out of him on a regular basis.

Hi, there's the door.  Get to it if you're not happy.

Well....maybe having absolute control over someone and torturing them is what makes her happy.

Is this going to be the story that starts to bring female perpetration into the cultural consciousness?

nebulousone

No, because there will always be a dozen doctors who will say she's sick, or she had stress.  

If we're REALLY lucky, they'll invent a syndrome just for her because, you know, people can't EVER be evil, *especially* women.
i]Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.[/i]
~Abraham Lincoln

Sir Jessy of Anti

Quote from: "devia"
This may sound a bit crass but I would think that you'd have to be a bit odd to want to marry him.

I can understand a student memorized by brillance, but to have that mean you would marry someone you have no chance of having sexual relations with, who could have very little interaction with any children, and who would need you to give constant care to seems a bit odd.

Cetainly much different then a spouse becoming in need of care after marriage, or marrying someone with a disabilty but still able to be a partner.

Well he's quite well off so some women would want him just for that, and he does have three children - so he must be capable (somehow) of reproducing.

PowerMan72

Sounds like that sumbitch gets more tail than I do!           :o
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Rayden

Devia typed:

Odder than marrying Walmart clerks?

So far, Devia's list of unfit people for marriage:  
Walmart Clerks
Geeks

Go Up