Lily Ledbetter act -- could it backfire?

Started by bluegrass, Jun 08, 2012, 09:29 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

bluegrass

I was thinking today about this.  Now if salaries at a business become transparent, could somebody use that to claim discrimination if, say, all the men are getting paid the same as the women even if the men are generally logging more hours with more experience?

Seems like it could go both ways.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

neoteny

Seems like it could go both ways.

Yeah, like VAWA goes both ways, even in its title.  :rolle:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Bobby

I tend to think our social tinkering is making disincentives for men while making incentives for women to litigate. How will this all evolve?
A different approach to different times; Independent

Everytime you feel trapped in a feminst dystopia, just repeat this mantra to yourself: "there are 3.1 billion women on earth"; SIGE

CaptDMO

[quote ]
I tend to think our social tinkering is making disincentives for integrity, while making incentives for parasites (and rent-seekers) to litigate.
[/quote]
Fixed it for ya'.
Except once "social tinkering" is disingenuously renamed as delusional "rights", and
subsequently becomes "law", well then, it's no longer "social" nor "tinkering".

Mere whiny semantics, I know.
The original point was not lost on me.   

Peter

Little Bedwetter or not, when laws are sometimes in force and sometimes not men will lose.

Damn it, when laws are selectively enforced, it is like having no law at all, scary close to dictatorship.

Quote from: 1984
The thing that he was about to do was to open a diary. This was not illegal (nothing was
illegal, since there were no longer any laws), but if detected it was reasonably certain that
it would be punished by death, or at least by twenty-five years in a forced-labour camp.
Winston fitted a nib into the penholder and sucked it to get the grease off.

BM-NByw7VE2PwjfTtsVdeE5ipuqx1AqkEv1

Bobby

¨I tend to think our social tinkering is making disincentives for integrity, while making incentives for parasites (and rent-seekers) to litigate.¨

Well, that encompasses the reality of modern America better, a more universal way of thinking( beyond just the gender angle)  than what I expressed in my drive-by posting.

Any thoughts on how this might evolve in the future for men?

As misandrist as our present reality is, I think that men continue to try and make rational choices with what information is available to them. These choices will probably make for results that were never expected by the social tinkerers.
A different approach to different times; Independent

Everytime you feel trapped in a feminst dystopia, just repeat this mantra to yourself: "there are 3.1 billion women on earth"; SIGE

Virtue

It wont stand supreme court scrutiny
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Quentin0352

Yup! Just like the VAWA has been stuck down by them, paternity fraud, child support to sex criminals from the victims and others that everyehing thinks would be easy decisions for them but either they refuse the cases or just excuse away the abuses.

BRIAN

Yup! Just like the VAWA has been stuck down by them, paternity fraud, child support to sex criminals from the victims and others that everyehing thinks would be easy decisions for them but either they refuse the cases or just excuse away the abuses.

This will effect them too though Q. It's different when your OX gets gored.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

Go Up