Chemists' name for honesty: testosterone

Started by Peter, Oct 17, 2012, 03:04 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Peter

http://motls.blogspot.com/2012/10/chemists-name-for-honesty-testosterone.html

The steroid hormone seems to reduce men's lying

Have you ever wondered whether there is a simple explanation why maths and exact sciences are mostly boys' game, why physics is a macho subject of a sort, why Feynman and Einstein slept with many women while Schrödinger lived both with his wife and his mistress, and why assorted lying bitches such as the global warming alarmists have small penises?

Well, Maria Shriver might agree that this guy won't be the best example of the testosterone link to "no cheating" and "no lying" but I wanted a recognizable symbol of testosterone here, anyway. ;-)

A new research partly funded from a "Starting Grant" by the European Research Council and freshly published in PLoS One may bring you the explanation you've been looking for:

Testosterone Administration Reduces Lying in Men

A German-Dutch collaboration consisting of Matthias Wibral, Thomas Dohmen, Dietrich Klingmüller, Bernd Weber, and Armin Falk took 91 men, and transdermally improved 46 of them with 50 mg of testosterone while the remaining 45 males got a placebo replacement. Then...

Then they made all the men play a game in which they could increase the profit by lying and cheating. Lying and cheating was omnipresent. However, the dishonestly accumulated profit among the men unsupported by the testosterone was significantly higher than it was for the testesterone-improved men - and the excess stands at the 99% confidence level, something like 2.5 sigma.

The research was described by International Business Times, Eurasia Review, and others.

You see that the reported signal isn't overwhelming, relatively to the particle physics standards, but it looks nontrivial, too. At the same moment, there are many reasons to think that testosterone is responsible for reshaping the human body and probably also the human mind in many respects. In some sense, it makes it more structured and sharper, less smooth - just look at what it does with the muscles.

Of course, the testosterone can't be a totally flawless infallible universal explanation for everything. For example, I used to have debates about those matters with my former fellow Junior Fellow who is also a string theorist and female. I conjectured that she and other women who are achievers in physics had a higher level of testosterone. She replied that she had either a reduced level of testosterone or excess estrogen or something like that so my prediction failed - assuming that she had enough testosterone to tell me the truth about her hormone levels, of course. :-)

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0046774

Abstract Top

Lying is a pervasive phenomenon with important social and economic implications. However, despite substantial interest in the prevalence and determinants of lying, little is known about its biological foundations. Here we study a potential hormonal influence, focusing on the steroid hormone testosterone, which has been shown to play an important role in social behavior. In a double-blind placebo-controlled study, 91 healthy men (24.32±2.73 years) received a transdermal administration of 50 mg of testosterone (n = 46) or a placebo (n = 45). Subsequently, subjects participated in a simple task, in which their payoff depended on the self-reported outcome of a die-roll. Subjects could increase their payoff by lying without fear of being caught. Our results show that testosterone administration substantially decreases lying in men. Self-serving lying occurred in both groups, however, reported payoffs were significantly lower in the testosterone group (p<0.01). Our results contribute to the recent debate on the effect of testosterone on prosocial behavior and its underlying channels.

BM-NByw7VE2PwjfTtsVdeE5ipuqx1AqkEv1

dr e

Fascinating.  Peter you are keeping me busy and very interested.  Some good ones lately.  Thanks.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Nillerz

I took testosterone boosters once. I almost stabbed a dude.
Evolution doesn't stop at the neck.

Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum

Nillerz,

I am taking 'T' bosters now and freaking love it.  I don't feel like a teenager again but like a man in his mid-to-late 20's.  More energy, better muscle tone, not falling asleep in the middle of the afternoon....

~Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum

Peter

Fascinating.  Peter you are keeping me busy and very interested.  Some good ones lately.  Thanks.

I am happy that the articles that I have found are interesting to others also.

BM-NByw7VE2PwjfTtsVdeE5ipuqx1AqkEv1

Russ2d

Cute, but the study quite frankly is nonsense. I agree completely with your theory Peter on women and physics.

Testosterone like all hormones are messengers; what's really interesting and important are the cells that respond to it, specifically male cells.

A similar thing happened to me Nillerz. I took a 'T-booster' (during my heavy powerlifting days) which is suppose to remove the binding protein from the unused portion in the blood and my temper went threw the roof -along with my blood pressure. Now I just take ZMA and the occasional Arginine supp, and doing great.

dr e

Cute, but the study quite frankly is nonsense. I agree completely with your theory Peter on women and physics.

Testosterone like all hormones are messengers; what's really interesting and important are the cells that respond to it, specifically male cells.

A similar thing happened to me Nillerz. I took a 'T-booster' (during my heavy powerlifting days) which is suppose to remove the binding protein from the unused portion in the blood and my temper went threw the roof -along with my blood pressure. Now I just take ZMA and the occasional Arginine supp, and doing great.

Indeed. We now know that at about 2 months in utero boys (mostly) get what is being termed "testosterone priming" and this sets up their receptors to later be more responsive to the hormone.  This has solved some of the questions about how it is that little boys and girls have similar T levels but such a different behavioral response. Now we now it is related that that early flood in utero.

My biggest worry about T is that we need to start teaching our men, boys and especially our young men about the impact on their psychological state of this hormone.  What it is, how to use it, how to work with it for best advantage.  Right now the only education boys get is that they are testosterone poisoned.  Fuck sake.  The reality is that T has quite a bit to do with success....but the feminists shudder in their biophobia at the mention of this.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Russ2d

Indeed. We now know that at about 2 months in utero boys (mostly) get what is being termed "testosterone priming" and this sets up their receptors to later be more responsive to the hormone.  This has solved some of the questions about how it is that little boys and girls have similar T levels but such a different behavioral response. Now we now it is related that that early flood in utero.

My biggest worry about T is that we need to start teaching our men, boys and especially our young men about the impact on their psychological state of this hormone.  What it is, how to use it, how to work with it for best advantage.  Right now the only education boys get is that they are testosterone poisoned.  Fuck sake.  The reality is that T has quite a bit to do with success....but the feminists shudder in their biophobia at the mention of this.

Yes Dr E,

I studied sex differences and embryonic development years ago, and yet today with all our technology, schools are still teaching the majority of students that "sex" is largely irrelevant and that "gender" which is now claimed to be different from sex is a social construct- the same ol feminist lunacy from the 70s. Hell the UN has panels to inform other countries that there are 5 genders (and maybe more), instead of the truth which is there are 2 genders, male and female, and all the "rest" are the result of developmental errors in utero- in other words males born with female cells and females born with male cells...

Which brings me to my biggest worry about T for males today- that it's getting fucked up by the sea of hormone mimicking chemicals which screw up the normal development of male and female fetuses... hell we couldn't even get rid of Bisphenol A, let alone B and F, and the shit load of other mixtures and compounds out there.

dr e

This is exactly what Warren Farrell has been focusing on for boys.  It will be a part of his next book on boys. Some of it can be found in Sax's "Boys Adrift."

Nillerz

Nillerz,

I am taking 'T' bosters now and freaking love it.  I don't feel like a teenager again but like a man in his mid-to-late 20's.  More energy, better muscle tone, not falling asleep in the middle of the afternoon....

~Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum

I'm in my early 20s and it made me feel like shit. :\
Evolution doesn't stop at the neck.

Go Up