Good Reddit link

Started by Virtue, Oct 31, 2013, 06:37 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Virtue

Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

mens_issues

Unfortunately, the woman who wrote this ruins it with her edit below.  Here is what she wrote:

I moved to Japan in my mid-twenties. I had no idea how much I had instinctively come to expect preferential courtesy from Western men until it suddenly disappeared from around me. It honestly blew my mind. Elevator doors would open, I'd go to step in, and be blown back by all the Japanese men rushing to get on while women waited patiently for them. Men went through all doors first. Men were served first at bars. Men took seats on trains while women stood. Anywhere women get preferential treatment in Western countries, men do in Japan.

I'm not saying the reverse is right. I'm saying I was honestly shocked by just how much I expected the reverse, without even thinking about it. I sent a group mail apologising to all my male friends for never noticing before. And now I see women everywhere expect it, the same way I did, and get the shits on the rare occasions it doesn't happen. I do consider that sexist.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean benevolent sexism. I'm talking about door-opening, for fuck's sake. This is not some kind of comment on wider matters of privilege (for which the pendulum, in all countries, still firmly swings up on the side of men - there you go, there's the wider comment), and the MRA tools in here who have used it to start whining about the wimmins and their eternal sucking of the poor mens into the fires of hell can kindly fuck right off.

Men's Issues Online - a voice for men's advocacy http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MensIssuesOnline

Follow Male Positive Media on Twitter - https://twitter.com/MalePositive

neoteny

the woman who wrote this

... is a 37 years old feminist lesbian from Oz. Seriously. Just click on her handle and read some of her other comments.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

Go Up