Unbelievable case

Started by Galt, Feb 14, 2014, 11:22 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Galt

Feb 14, 2014, 11:22 AM Last Edit: Feb 15, 2014, 03:34 AM by Galt
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/14/update-texas-teen-faces-8-years-in-prison-over-facebook-comment/

A guy named Justin Carter was getting frustrated on a Facebook interaction and sarcastically wrote this:

"I'm fucked in the head alright, I think I'ma SHOOT UP A KINDERGARTEN... AND WATCH THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT RAIN DOWN... AND EAT THE BEATING HEART OF ONE OF THEM."

Later in the text (according to a different news story), he wrote "LOL" and "just kidding".

He was arrested and spent months in jail. The police said they would let him out if he confessed to writing it. He did - and his bail was jacked up to $500,000.

The Washington Post's Radley Balko said of the case:

"Carter spent months in jail. While he was there, his attorney says he was beaten and sexually assaulted. And he's still looking at up to 10 years in prison. The fact that the prosecutors at one point offered him a plea bargain with an eight-year sentence suggests they plan to put him away for as long as the law will allow."

Scary.

Edited to add: I now see with a Google search that a woman had been taunting him on that threat - she was probably the one who sent a screenshot of the thread and allegations to the sheriff's department. The sheriff allegedly arrested him without ever seeing the real Facebook posting.

Go Up