"Will Baring Our Breasts End The Culture Of Rape?"

Started by MacKenzie, Apr 04, 2014, 08:59 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

MacKenzie

The Huffington Post - need I say more?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/toni-nagy/will-baring-our-breasts-e_b_5077204.html

Will Baring Our Breasts End the Culture of Rape?

According to a recent survey, 65 percent of Brazilians either partially or wholly believe that "if dressed provocatively, women deserve to be attacked and raped." The findings also revealed that 58.5 percent think, "if women knew how to behave, there would be less rape."

In response to these shocking stats, Brazilian women have launched a campaign posting semi-nude images of themselves, yet covering their nipples with a sign that reads #NãoMereçoSerEstuprada, which translates to #IDontDeserveToBeRaped. The message is clear. No matter what I am wearing, or not wearing, I don't deserve to be violated.

The mentality of blaming the victim holds women entirely responsible for being raped, while simultaneously excusing men for their actions. That is as absurd as suggesting it was my fault I got mugged because I had money in my wallet that a robber wanted. Can you imagine a police officer telling someone if they didn't want to get their car stolen, it shouldn't have been parked where it could be seen and desired?

I appreciate this campaign as it directly challenges the offensive notion that "she asked for it." An appalling number of people are living with the belief system that the clothes a woman chooses to wear can be linked to whether a man rapes her or not. This logic confuses me. Women in Burka's get raped. Were they asking for it by exposing too much eyelid? Indigenous tribal cultures, where women are bare chested, aren't plagued with rape as a societal issue. Men don't rape because of an alluring mini skirt. Men rape for power.

We live in a culture of dominance, and most boys are raised and conditioned to think about how to dominate others. The alpha male complex permeates past the physical realm, and deep into the psyche. Men dominate each other. Bosses often dominate employees. Politicians too frequently attempt domination over society. War is how we often solve problems in the geopolitical atmosphere. This culture of dominance has saturated nearly all facets of life.

The paradigm of domination is embedded into the archetype of the successful man. This mentality is ingrained in the definition of manliness and what is means to be powerful. It is not hard to make the leap to see how this indoctrination bleeds into a man's sexuality.

The campaign these Brazilians launched is a response to the assumption that women are at fault for being the victim of sexual assault. I applaud their pushing the envelope on this issue. The reality is I could be naked and passed out in front of 20 guys who would never take advantage of my vulnerability. I could also be minding my own business, wearing a potato sack, and attacked by a man in broad daylight.

Dressing like a nun and avoiding dark alleys does not dissolve the culture of rape. The only way women won't be raped by men is when men stop raping women. Shaming women will never end this pandemic. According to the National Violence Against Women Survey, 1 in 6 U.S. women has experienced an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. Whether or not we're aware of it, we all know someone who has been raped. Statistically that means we also know a rapist. Let's follow the Brazilian's initiative and expand this conversation. It is time we heal the stunted masculinity that drives men to commit heinous acts against women. Rape doesn't stop with women, it stops with men.
FEMINISM IS A CULT THAT TRIES TO MAKE BOTH SEXES EQUAL BY FOCUSING SOLELY ON ONE OF THEM

outdoors

need I say more?

No.

CaptDMO

Which culture of rape is THAT?

bluegrass

"Shaming women will never end this pandemic."

But apparently shaming men will.

Guess what honey, there's always going to be criminals.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

Cysterhood

Apr 07, 2014, 04:34 AM Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 04:51 AM by Cysterhood

The Huffington Post - need I say more?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/toni-nagy/will-baring-our-breasts-e_b_5077204.html

Will Baring Our Breasts End the Culture of Rape?

According to a recent survey, 65 percent of Brazilians either partially or wholly believe that "if dressed provocatively, women deserve to be attacked and raped." The findings also revealed that 58.5 percent think, "if women knew how to behave, there would be less rape."

In response to these shocking stats, Brazilian women have launched a campaign posting semi-nude images of themselves, yet covering their nipples with a sign that reads #NãoMereçoSerEstuprada, which translates to #IDontDeserveToBeRaped. The message is clear. No matter what I am wearing, or not wearing, I don't deserve to be violated.
This attitude that women have:
"I should be able to do, say and treat any man the way I like" and be immune from any negative outcomes can cause problems. Like oubursts of vindictive spite. If women treated men with more respect and didn't use their attractivness to flirt manipulate, gain favour and privilages then perhaps the small percentage that might might react in vidictive spite may lessen.
I as a man don't get the privelage to treat people however I like and be immune from negative results. As a man how you dress and behave affects the way you are treated, particulaly by women. I have been treated like a potential paedophile, rapist or wife-basher simply by being near women or children. So women clearly think that men should be treated this way based on how some men behave, similar to how Brazilians think that if women knew how to behave, there would be less rape.
But I don't believe women deserve to be raped.

The mentality of blaming the victim holds women entirely responsible for being raped, while simultaneously excusing men for their actions. That is as absurd as suggesting it was my fault I got mugged because I had money in my wallet that a robber wanted. Can you imagine a police officer telling someone if they didn't want to get their car stolen, it shouldn't have been parked where it could be seen and desired?
The mentality that women should do whatever to whoever at anytime and be immune from the results means women have no responsibility for their actions - or respect for anybody else. If you walked down the street waving thousands of dollars in cash in everybodys face each day it wouldn't be a suprise if it was eventually stollen by somebody. Here I've heard many times the Police telling people not to leave valuables visible in thier car, or their car unlocked. Why? Because it may get stollen. There are allways certain places, occasions when you shouldn't do certain things.
But I don't believe women deserve to be raped.

I appreciate this campaign as it directly challenges the offensive notion that "she asked for it." An appalling number of people are living with the belief system that the clothes a woman chooses to wear can be linked to whether a man rapes her or not. This logic confuses me. Women in Burka's get raped. Were they asking for it by exposing too much eyelid? Indigenous tribal cultures, where women are bare chested, aren't plagued with rape as a societal issue. Men don't rape because of an alluring mini skirt. Men rape for power.

A number of people might believe that how you behave and dress might sometimes have something to do with how you are treated. Like being treated as a paedophile based on how you (males) look. If I were to put on a dress, a wigg and makeup and appeared to be a woman I wouldn't be treated that way. That treatment would be based on what I wear. Indigenous cultures might not be plagued with rape because the Feminists have not arrived to do any surveys yet. I don't really know why some men rape, but I doubt its for power. Women fixate on that point because its the time when they have the power that is given them taken away. But I don't believe women deserve to be raped.

We live in a culture of dominance, and most boys are raised and conditioned to think about how to dominate others. The alpha male complex permeates past the physical realm, and deep into the psyche. Men dominate each other. Bosses often dominate employees. Politicians too frequently attempt domination over society. War is how we often solve problems in the geopolitical atmosphere. This culture of dominance has saturated nearly all facets of life.
The culture of dominance exits to benifite women. It forces men to compete against one another so women can pick the winners for themselves. As soon as the most desireable women in society start marrying the local toilet cleaner and not the highest placed male they can get, it will stop. Should we ignore the very clear desire of women to dominate men in modern days? The enless campaign to show how women are better at everything and how usles men are. But I don't believe women deserve to be raped.

The paradigm of domination is embedded into the archetype of the successful man. This mentality is ingrained in the definition of manliness and what is means to be powerful. It is not hard to make the leap to see how this indoctrination bleeds into a man's sexuality.
Yeah,but I don't see how that might make him into a thief.

The campaign these Brazilians launched is a response to the assumption that women are at fault for being the victim of sexual assault. I applaud their pushing the envelope on this issue. The reality is I could be naked and passed out in front of 20 guys who would never take advantage of my vulnerability. I could also be minding my own business, wearing a potato sack, and attacked by a man in broad daylight.
Yet the culture of dominace should make them all try to rape you, but none of them did. It will however changed their interaction with you, though it shouldn't - apparently. I look forward to the day I can walk naked and not be charged with (being male) anything. Yet if I did that people would interperate my behaviour and intentions wrongly. But I don't believe women deserve to be raped.

Dressing like a nun and avoiding dark alleys does not dissolve the culture of rape. The only way women won't be raped by men is when men stop raping women. Shaming women will never end this pandemic. According to the National Violence Against Women Survey, 1 in 6 U.S. women has experienced an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. Whether or not we're aware of it, we all know someone who has been raped. Statistically that means we also know a rapist. Let's follow the Brazilian's initiative and expand this conversation. It is time we heal the stunted masculinity that drives men to commit heinous acts against women. Rape doesn't stop with women, it stops with men.
If its a pandemic for women then if you consider the point that if you include the numbers from prisons more men are raped than women - it must be a double pandemic. A triple pandemic if "accidental" pregnancy was included. But then this is all done for power, couldn't have anything to do with sex money or wanting to get something from the interaction. Statistically it doesn't mean we know a male rapist because 90% of rapists are recidivists. A very small number of men commiting most of the rapes. Yet "we" have a rape culture apparently, even though only the potato sack rapist succeded. That might give you a clue that most men aren't crosswired enough to rape - despite the culture - or misinterpret how you treat them . I am probably unaware of how many female rapists I know, I'll agree. Must do a studdy.

But I don't believe women deserve to be raped. But I do believe men and people are treated certain ways based on how they look, and there are two sides to a coin and a story.

I'm mad.
I'm furious.
I've enough rage to fuel a thousand suns.

CaptDMO

This attitude that women have:

*sigh*
This attitude that some women have:
apply throughout.

Remember: " According to a recent survey..." that was positively debunked as utter garbage within two days of publication.
The ENTIRE piece,  "data", statistics, alleged survey response,  put fourth within, is rendered "suspect" at best,
certainly unworthy of further peer review/rebuttal, as are any subsequent "citations",  and simple propaganda graffiti at it's worst.

Go Up