Liam Magill fighting fund

Started by Pernicious, Mar 25, 2004, 12:42 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Pernicious

http://www.kittennews.com/kn_extras/l_magill.htm

Liam Magill fighting fund
John Gardiner

It is estimated that at least 25% of children living in the western world aren't the biological offspring of their legal fathers. Many men are supporting and raising other men's children without knowing or suspecting that they've been the victims of a mother's deceit. Since DNA testing has become widely available, the facts of these cases are now being revealed.

Liam Magill is one such victim. Having watched the births of his children, as he was led to believe, he was to learn years later that only one of the three children delivered by his wife during their four year marriage, was his biological child. His wife lied to him as well as made false declarations on the children's birth certificates.

Following a separation, Liam maintained full child support for eight and a half years for these children before learning the truth about his wife's paternity fraud. It was deeply shocking and hurtful for him as indeed it would be for any man. Needless to say that he had endured considerable hardship over that time and then finally, the emotional pain and suffering that followed the discovery of the truth. Sadly, Liam is not the first man to have this experience and as the estimates go, he is unlikely to be the last.

There is however, one thing that sets Liam's case apart from those of other men - his is the first and only case, which has successfully challenged the age old prejudices of the courts, sued his ex-wife for fraud and won. In November 2002, in a Victorian County Court, judge John Hanlon, found that Meredith Magill, his ex-wife, had lied about her children's paternity and was liable for compensation for the economic loss, pain and suffering caused to her ex-husband. (Herald Sun, Dec 18th, 2002). This was a landmark legal finding, not only for Liam, but for all men.

The case has created a precedent upon which many men around the world may seek similar compensation. Knowing the large number of estimated defrauded fathers in the world, women's groups, acting in the best interests of deceitful mothers, have naturally been displeased by this outcome. The women's movement have decided to put their entire weight behind the matter and are working on an appeal to overturn the finding.

In seeking to overturn this outcome, the Victorian Women's Legal Service is backing a fully tax payer funded appeal in the Supreme Court on behalf of Mr Magill's ex-wife. The case is listed to proceed shortly and is only awaiting the Women's Legal Service team to compile their court books.

Although having been awarded some $70,000 as compensation, Liam has no access to these funds until the appeal is resolved. Even then there is no guarantee that he'll ever see a cent of this money. Fighting this case has cost him his life's savings and as a result of his miseries and hardship he is now dependent solely upon a disability pension for income. He is now in a situation where he cannot fund a defence against the appeal.

Without the funds to fight, he may very well loose the case, his compensation and more importantly, the significant legal landmark finding.

This is why an appeal has been established to provide Liam Magill with a fighting fund of $30,000. It's not only for him that the funds are needed, but for every man in the future, who finds himself a victim of a fraudulent woman. One day, that could be you.

So help yourself by helping Liam Magill fight for justice and compensation that should rightfully be his. Donate today any amount you're able to spare, and please give generously.

For more information, contact -

Vivian Mavropoulis & Associates - solicitor
Phone (Int'n) - 61 3 9555 7558
Fax (Int'n) - 61 3 9553 7044
Phone (Aust) - 03 9555 7558
Fax (Aust) - 03 9553 7044
Post - PO Box 170 Highett, Victoria 3190, Australia
E-mail - [email protected]

A trust account has been established by the above solicitors for donations with the Commonwealth Bank. For direct deposit please use the following bank account information -

Commonwealth Bank of Australia
East Bentleigh Branch, Victoria
Ac name: Vivian Mavropoulis & Associates in trust for Liam Magill
Ac No: 06 3126 10216004

Note: In the event that the appeal does not proceed, any excess funds accumulated in the trust account shall be donated to charity.
 do what I need to do to protect my loved ones, friends, and family. This is what men do.

LSBeene

That is an absolutely stellar post Pernicious.  OUT-FREAKING-STANDING.

I'm gonna offer that up to Glenn and see if I can't get it posted on Men's Activism.

Wow, gem of a find for our cause man.  A+

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

LSBeene

I E-mailed Glenn about Liam and sent a link too.  I am hoping he will mention this guy on the air.

Also, I took the liberty to make a suggestion to Glenn and I hope I can ask the other members here for support on this: I told him we should pick a major company that uses violence against men as a sight gag to sell their product.  

So, what I am asking is for any motivated members here to help me find this company.  And in fact if anyone can help with the criteria of the company we want to target.

Here is what I am thinking:  Large powerful company with a wide and varied product line that uses at least 2, and preferably more, commercials that use violence against men as an advertising tool.  If it uses this "humor" in more than one product and commercial all the better.

Further, even if we "lose" and they don't pull the product (worst case scenario) we win.  We get print for our efforts, awareness of our cause, get awareness from politicians, Glenn's show gets more name recognition and with that more people knowing what we are doing, and more men and women will know about our issues.  
If we win, it's all gravy.

I would really appreciate any help or feed back on this issue.  I plan to submit this same suggestion to Men's Activism, Angry Harry, and the Men's Hour people.

As I said, I already E-mailed Glenn and am hoping to hear back from him about Liam, and the new campaign.

Thanks,

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

tricycle

I remember this case, the story was on a current affairs show.

The part that got me the most was Liam's pain and misery at finding out that 2 of his beloved children weren't his.

It was awful to watch this man expressing his anger and hurt, and saying that he couldn't abandon the 2 children that weren't biologically his.

The show had me in tears, and I am stunned that this is happening to him.

I bank with the Commonwealth Bank, and next time I am in there I will be making a donation to Liam's fund.
trange little girl ....

Cain

Steve I'm not sure if this is the sort of ad you are looking for but the other day i came across an ad that left me speechless,the only problem is that it is on a web page and is a macro-media flashplayer ad,which means everytime i reload the page it reloads a differant ad.I keep reloading the page but the same ad hasnt come up again.

The ad itself was for the Honda Pilot.The ad is constructed so that we see the wife's face in a bubble in the upper left of the screen as the images click by and as she delivers the text,the text itself reads "My husband was raised by wolves" but "Just like all husbands" " He loves the 240 horsepower " and as the last line is delivered the image that loads is of the right side of the vehicle with the family dog leaning out the back window with his face in the wind as all dogs do,and it also shows the husband leaning out of the front window with his face in the wind,presumably " just like all husbands" do.The ad doesnt use direct examples of "violence" but the intent of the ad is fairly clear,in this case the husband is being portrayed as little more than a family pet under the direct guidance and control of the wife.Sit,stay,dont mess the carpet,support my kids and do as your told !!!

I also remeber a few years back Honda was running an ad about a female anthropologist sneaking through the woods to study this odd creature which of course turns out to be men,so this isnt a unique approach for Honda.

Ill supply the link and hopefully the ad will load for some of you,as it still wont re-load for me.

Link: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20040322/earthlife.html
All you Fascists Bound To Lose" - Woody Guthrie

Odysseus

Yeah, I've seen that ad a while ago. They had the man acting totally feral.

Go Up