Coppertone advertisement

Started by dr e, May 23, 2004, 07:06 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

dr e

I saw a commercial on TV today for Coppertone sun tan lotion.  They were rightly pointing out the importance of avoiding excessive exposure to the sun.  Then they said how important it is for WOMEN to be careful in the sun in order to avoid skin cancer.  They made some reference to how many women get skin cancer and how important avoiding the sun is for women.

I was shocked since I knew that the majority of every major diagnoses for skin cancer are men! I went to their web site and saw the following:

http://www.coppertone.com/edu.aspx?sunsafeid=1

*More than 1 million new cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year in the US!
*Every 5 minutes another women is diagnosed with skin cancer.
*Skin cancer is increasing at a faster rate than any other cancer.
*Every sunburn increases a child's chance of getting skin cancer as an adult.

So what they don't tell you is that probably every four minutes there is a man diagnosed.  

We need the Men's Health Act to be passed in Congress.  We need a Men's Health Commission for this country to begin to bring some balance to the uncountable government sponsored women's commissions.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Daymar

Because it's mostly women who are going to be paying attention to the commercial. More female tv viewers and more female tv viewers who actually pay attention to the commercials.

dr e

Yes Daymar, quite correct the women will be watching.  It is also true that it is the ladies that will likely be buying the stuff so they are wise to market to them.  However, notice that they are framing the problem in terms of how it affects women and ignoring that it affects men.  Why not note that men were often the victims of this disease and that it would be good for everyone to help men avoid this by using more coppertone.  Or even to say how skin cancer is on the rise and everyone needs to be protected.  But that is not what they did.  They focused solely on women and children.  Why?  Because women and children are worth protecting and caring for, men are not.  They know they can sell more lotion by playing to the importance of protecting women and children.  Both men and women will buy a product that does this.  If they framed it in terms of its solely helping men there is little doubt their sales would slump.  

Since it is mostly men who receive diagnoses of skin cancer it is blatantly obvious that the commercial is bigoted and sexist.  Protect the women and ignore the men.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Daymar

I think in this case though that women are the target audience just because they're more likely to be paying attention. Would men buy sun tan lotion for women if they saw a commercial like this? Probobly not. I think in this case the only reason sales wouldn't go up if they didn't mention women is because it's mostly women paying attention to the commercial. It's a product that you would only buy for yourself or your kids.

Stallywood

I think it would be very easy for them to market this product to BOTH Sexes. But no one is concerned for men, therefore the scare tactics to sell it to WOMEN and thru them to CHILDREN.  If men do benifit thru the product, it is like gravy to the company.  Consider this, as a single father when I have my daughter It would behoove them to sell the product to men also, not just women. And there are many men who would also make a viable target for Sun Tanning Lotion. The company is ignoring a segment of society in their quest to sell. I think it is sexism and I dont give a sh#tism  over money.
Stally
Gentleman is a man who consciously serves women. I prefer the golden rule.

Behind every great man, is a
parasite.

Women who say men won't commit, usually aren't worth committing to.

Daymar

"I think it would be very easy for them to market this product to BOTH Sexes."

Yeah, but by only saying women are getting cancer without their sun tan lotion they're making the women watching it think the lotion is a necessity for them as women. If mostly men were going to see this commercial they would only say men are getting cancer without their lotion.

neonsamurai

I was discussing something similar to this at the weekend.

Apparently in the States alot of the advertisers for men's products are complaining to the networks because they feel that they should be paying LESS for advertising men's products on TV because most programs are aimed at women and the percentage of male viewers is shrinking.

My girlfiend's friends boyfriend (I know, I know) works for one of the UK channels as a researcher for viewing trends and marketing. He said that the same thing is happening in the UK too, but not to the same degree as the US. But from the point of view of the TV stations this is bad, mainly because men are seeking other forms of entertainment such as the internet, where adverts have far less impact.

He also mentioned (because I'd said how sexist alot of the adverts on TV are) that most are designed to effect people in a personal manner, which is why they often play the 'sisterhood' card. This advert about skin cancer is a double whammy. It divides the population (making it personal) and implies a threat (which is always good for sales).

But the advertisers are making a rod for their own backs, the more they sideline men, the more time we'll spend not watching their adverts or the channels that show them.

I maybe watch 2-3 hours of TV a week now. There's nothing on the box that I particularly enjoy anymore.
Dr. Kathleen Dixon, the Director of Women's Studies: "We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech!"

Mr Benn

I totally agree Neon.

Men, particularly young men, are less and less likely to be watching TV ads these days.

Not only due to us using the Internet, but most young men prefer other forms of entertainment like Video games, the cinema, sports, or watching DVDs.

Personally, I watch almost no TV any more, and certainly dont sit through the ads. Also, I'd like to block out as many attempts to sell me things as I can, that way I'll be able to save more!

Plus, the new generation of technologies like TiVo mean that its easier than ever to record the shows you like in digital format on a hard drive and simply cut out/fast forward through the ads.
ww.CoolTools4Men.com

Bilbo

Quote from: "Dr Evil"
*More than 1 million new cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year in the US!

and.....

*Every 5 minutes another women is diagnosed with skin cancer.
sunburn increases a child's chance of getting skin cancer as an adult.

So, that equals 288 women diagnosed per day x 365 days= 105,120 cases of the 1 million are women, or...<11%!  A tragedy to be sure, but wtf?!
I do understand that the ads are directed toward women, who are the primary purchasers of these products, but how about an ad to the effect of, "even though you are not the primary person at risk..." or something like that?
It is impossible to reason a man out of something he was never reasoned into in the first place- Swift

"The cardinal principle of judicial restraint--if it is not necessary to decide more, it is necessary not to decide more."

dr e

I was watching less TV also...until we recently got HiDef.  Now I can't stop watching the freaking Discovery Channel or sports in HD.  Damn! :shock:

Daymar

"but how about an ad to the effect of, "even though you are not the primary person at risk..." or something like that?"

Because it would make them less money... a business minded person has an ad created for one purpose. This has nothing to do with discriminating against men... If anything, this would just show that women are not as interested in using sun tan lotion to protect men against cancer as they are about themselves and their children, for whatever reason.

Daymar

I don't watch hardly any tv either. Sometimes I flip through the channels but I don't have any shows I watch on a regular basis at the moment. Awhile ago I was watching some of the reality shows and stargate sg-1 but I've stopped. Not only do a lot of the shows bore me but some of them piss me off.

PowerMan72

I was watching less TV also...until we recently got HiDef. Now I can't stop watching the freaking Discovery Channel or sports in HD. Damn!

:D
PARTY AT DR. EVIL'S HOUSE!!!
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

Go Up