OH LORD, HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

Started by Bender, Jul 07, 2004, 02:41 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Bender

Just a quick show of hands.
How many of you have received this reaction when bringing up gender equity issues in other places?

Scenario:  You bring up something about men and injustice in  the workplace or in the family courts, etc and someone immediately says something to the effect of "OH LORD, HERE WE GO AGAIN"

Is this an attempt to ridicule us into silence?  Just curious.
color=red] You have no Constitutional right not to be offended and I'm here to make sure this non-existent Constitutional right is honored.
[/color]

<<<---Ya know ya want one.

Mr. Nickle

Almost everyday!  :D But, I don't let it stop me.

I work at a newspaper and when I bring these issues up the women start with the 'poor widdle baby' comments. All I have to do to make my point is pick up ANY edition of our paper and show them story after story and PSAs up the ying-yang about women's issues and that we don't have any about men's issues. They can't deny what is reality when you shove it in their face.
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

Johnny

Is this an attempt to ridicule us into silence?

Not really. Since you brought the topic up there is a strong likelyhood that you may be armed with facts. Feminists hate that ;)
Openly Straight.

Stallywood

In my circles, I am known as a woman hater because of this very thing.
I think some men just dont like to talk about it even if they agree, and some men dont want to talk about it until it directly affects them.
Stally
Gentleman is a man who consciously serves women. I prefer the golden rule.

Behind every great man, is a
parasite.

Women who say men won't commit, usually aren't worth committing to.

CaptDMO

Oh?

Where have you heard this before?
So...... this has come up with you alot?
I'm not sure, .........What have you heard about this?
Gee....you sound versed in this subject. What is the conventional wisdom here?
Oh,...I'm sorry, I thought you might be interested in this equal rights stuff.
Again?... It hasn't  been resolved YET!

This ought to get you started. I hope you can come up with better bridges to disscussion than mine as these are a little on the stale side, cliche, and women are quite familiar with their use  as  
casual introductions to "WARNING-word twisting will be needed here"
exchanges.
   A PROPOSED EXPERIMENT IN SOCIOLOGICAL OBSERVATION re; "(insert exclamitory here),HERE WE GO AGAIN"
  If one hears this from a masculine sorce-are they "proclaiming" their readyness to make their point, and looking right at you?
 If one hears this from a feminine source -is it "wailed" like a battle cry, and the speaker PHYSICLY looking desperately to others for support-even if no one else is there?
("proclaiming" and "wailed" subject to percieved tone nuance of course)

In all fairness, I've found that the former case comes from a position of surity and the latter case comes from a position of sophistry-regardless of gender.
I've also found it to be an omnigender, universal case amongst ALL my friends- whenever I start anything with "When I was young......"

Sunchyme

Just a quick show of hands.
How many of you have received this reaction when bringing up gender equity issues in other places?

Scenario: You bring up something about men and injustice in the workplace or in the family courts, etc and someone immediately says something to the effect of "OH LORD, HERE WE GO AGAIN"

Is this an attempt to ridicule us into silence? Just curious.

It is an indirect attempt to do so.  Anybody can see this.

My reply is always, "Yes, here we go again and not a better moment for Professor Misogynist to educated you.  [Big smile on my face] Sitting comfortablely?  Now, we shall begin."

Then I lecture on the gender issue at hand and why it is anti-male.

I end with "Any questions?  Good.  I will test you on this subject tommorrow"  [Big, warm smile on my face]  [Angry, mean, faces on the women]
ometimes you got to make your own sunshine.

Titurel

Picture: Titurel is sitting at a table in a public space with several women.  They are so accustomed to my presence that they slip into their usual male bashing.  You know, men this and men that.   But then one of them catches herself and hastily adds, "But not Titurel.  He isn't like that."  What to do?  I usually say, "Yes, I AM like that.  It includes me too."  [The bitches].

neonsamurai

Stallywood mentioned:
In my circles, I am known as a woman hater because of this very thing.
I think some men just dont like to talk about it even if they agree, and some men dont want to talk about it until it directly affects them.

Amen Stally.

I get a similar response, but it's not like it was. Three years ago a couple of the guys told me to 'go and be gay' because I 'hated' women so much. Since then one has lost contact with his daughter and lives in a bedsit and the other's wife made £65K in share options and left him (after spending most of his inheritance). Guess who they came running to for advice?

The thing I've learned is that you just have to pick your arguments more carefully. I rarely bring up men's rights unless it's in response to some feminist BS.

Like Johnny said, the moment you start backing up arguments with stats and reasoning the conversation is swiftly changed. I debunked the whole 1 in 4 abuse argument recently with friends by asking how many of the guys had been hit by their partners. All the guys had! But NONE of them had hit their spouses. You could see the girls squirming as they tried to justify their actions.
Dr. Kathleen Dixon, the Director of Women's Studies: "We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech!"

Go Up