What Makes a Man: 22 Writers Imagine the Future

Started by Titurel, Jul 08, 2004, 04:56 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Titurel

Here's an interesting excerpt from a new book by feminist/author Rebecca Walker (daughter of Alice Walker) about societal expectations about masculinity and manhood. Thought-provoking....

"Mom, I need to play sports"

In this excerpt from What Makes a Man: 22 Writers Imagine the Future, Rebecca Walker recalls her son's worries about fitting in in the sixth grade, which led her to question how American society wages war on boys who aren't butch enough.

An Advocate.com exclusive posted June 17, 2004

Rebecca Walker-whose essay on Warrior Poet: A Biography of Audre Lorde appears in the June 22 issue of The Advocate-believes in shedding old skins and crossing old borders. As an editor, she took on questions of political and personal identity in 1995's To Be Real: Telling the Truth and Changing the Face of Feminism. As a writer, she impressed critics, readers, and thinkers with her 2002 memoir, Black, White, and Jewish: Autobiography of a Shifting Self, an elegantly written account of growing up to be a woman who inhabits all three categories but is defined by none.

This year Walker the editor is back with What Makes a Man: 22 Writers Imagine the Future (Riverhead, $24.95), a collection of essays that test the old definitions of manhood and masculinity from the perspectives of writers of numerous gender, sexual, and racial identities. Included are pieces from Michael Moore (Fahrenheit 9/11, Bowling for Columbine, etc.); Anthony Swofford (Jarhead); Howard Zinn (A People's History of the United States); Choyin Rangdrol, an African-American Lama in the Vajrayana tradition of Tibetan Buddhism; and former MTV executive producer Tajamika Paxton.

In this excerpt from her introduction, Walker explains how the book began:

The idea for this book was born one night after a grueling conversation with my then 11-year-old son. He had come home from his progressive middle school unnaturally quiet and withdrawn, shrugging off my questions of concern with uncharacteristic irritability. Where was the sunny, chatty boy I dropped off that morning? What had befallen him in the perilous halls of middle school? I backed off but kept a close eye on him, watching for clues.

After a big bowl of his favorite pasta, he sat on a sofa in my study and read his science textbook as I wrote at my desk. We both enjoyed this simple yet profound togetherness, the two of us focused on our own projects yet palpably connected. As we worked under the soft glow of paper lanterns, with the heat on high and our little dog snoring at his feet, my son began to relax. I could feel a shift as he began to remember, deep in his body, that he was home, that he was safe, that he didn't have to brace to protect himself from the expectations of the outside world.

An hour or so passed like this before he announced that he had a question. He had morphed back into the child I knew, and was lying down with a colorful blanket over his legs, using one hand to scratch behind the dog's ears. "I've been thinking that maybe I should play sports at school."

"Sports?" I replied with surprise, swiveling around and leaning back in my chair. "Any sport in mind, or just sports in general?"

A nonchalant shrug. "Maybe softball, I like softball."
I cocked my head to one side. "What brought this on?"
"I don't know," he said. "Maybe girls will like me if I play sports."
Excuse me?
My boy is intuitive, smart, and creative beyond belief. At the time he loved animals, Japanese anime, the rap group Dead Prez, and everything having to do with snowboarding. He liked to help both his grandmothers in the garden. He liked to read science fiction. He liked to climb into bed with me and lay his head on my chest. He liked to build vast and intricate cities with his Legos and was beginning what I thought would be a lifelong love affair with chess.

Maybe girls would like him if he played sports?
Call me extreme, but I felt like my brilliant 11-year-old daughter had come home and said, "Maybe boys will like me if I stop talking in class." Or my gregarious African-American son had told me, "Maybe the kids will like me if I act white."

I tried to stay calm as he illuminated the harsh realities of his sixth-grade social scene. In a nutshell, the girls liked the jocks the best and sometimes deigned to give the time of day to the other team, the computer nerds. Since he wasn't allowed to play violent computer games-we forbade them in our house-he was having trouble securing his place with the latter, hence his desire to assume the identity of the former. When I asked about making friends based on common interests rather than superficial categories, he got flustered. "You don't understand," he said huffily. "Boys talk about sports, like their matches and who scored what and stuff, or they talk about new versions of computer games or tricks they learned to get to higher levels." Tears welled up in his eyes. "I don't have anything to talk about."

He was right; until that moment I had had no idea, but suddenly the truth of being a sixth-grade boy in America crystallized before me. My beautiful boy and every other mother's beautiful boy had what essentially boiled down to two options: fight actually in sport, or fight virtually on the computer. Athlete, gladiator, secret agent. The truth of his existence, his many likes and dislikes, none of them having to do with winning or killing of any kind, had no social currency. My son could compete and score, perform and win, or be an outcast or worse, invisible, his unique gifts unnoticed and unharvested, the world around him that much more impoverished.

That night I went to sleep with several things on my mind: the conversation I planned to have with the head of my son's school about the need for a comprehensive, curricular interrogation of the contours of masculinity; the way girls find themselves drawn to more "traditional" displays of masculinity because they are more unsure than ever about how to experience their own femininity; and the many hours and endless creativity I would have to devoted to ensuring that my son's true self would not be entirely snuffed out by the cultural imperative.

And then there was the final and most chilling thought of all:
A bat, a "joystick." What's next, a gun?
It occurred to me that my son was being primed for war, was being prepared to pick up a gun. The first steps were clear: Tell him that who he is authentically is not enough; tell him that he will not be loved unless he abandons his own desires and picks up a tool of competition; tell him that to really be of value he must stand ready to compete, dominate, and, if necessary, kill, if not actually, then virtually, financially, athletically.

If one's life purpose is obscured by the pressure to conform to a generic type and other traces of self are ostracized into shadow, then just how difficult is it to pick up a gun, metaphoric or literal, as a means of self-definition, as a way of securing what feels like personal power?

"Sissy, wuss, freak, fag, bitch, punk, pussy, homo, queer."
If I didn't get it that night, I got it after talking with all of the men who were willing to write or share their stories for this book: There is a war being waged on boys, and it starts before they are even born. It is a war against vulnerability, creativity, individuality, and the mysterious unknown. It is a war against tenderness, empathy, grief, fear, longing, and feeling itself. In its determination to annihilate the authentic self, it is a war against peace.

Over the last two years every man I know shared his own version of the same basic story: a few years filled with wonder and freedom cut short by the subtle and not-so-subtle demands of being a man; a sudden and often violent reduction of individuality into a single version of boyhood.

In what seemed like a moment but what was actually a slow buildup over time, an insidious and deceptively gradual occupation of psychic territory, young men were expected to change, to follow spoken and unspoken cues: don't feel, take control, be physically strong, find your identity in money and work, do not be afraid to kill, distrust everything that you cannot see. Don't cry.

This war against what is considered feminine that is wounding our sons and brothers, fathers and uncles, is familiar to women, but now we see that it is killing the other half of the planet too. But instead of dying of heartache and botched abortions and breast cancer and sexual trauma and low self-esteem, this half is dying of radiation from modern weaponry, suicidal depression, and a soul-killing obsession with the material. This half is dying of prostate cancer and heart attacks and workaholism and an overwhelming sense of failure, of missing something exceedingly important that they cannot name, of disconnection from the source of life itself....

Reprinted by permission from What Makes a Man: 22 Writers Imagine the Future, (c) 2004 by Rebecca Walker, published by Riverhead Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA).

typhonblue

A war being waged on men by women.

If a man is human he is useless as a machine, as a work horse and as a wallet. A man should have no needs outside of those of his own--er...wife.

Stallywood

Quote from: "Titurel"
Maybe girls would like him if he played sports?
Call me extreme, but I felt like my brilliant 11-year-old daughter had come home and said, "Maybe boys will like me if I stop talking in class." Or my gregarious African-American son had told me, "Maybe the kids will like me if I act white."

It occurred to me that my son was being primed for war, was being prepared to pick up a gun. The first steps were clear: Tell him that who he is authentically is not enough; tell him that he will not be loved unless he abandons his own desires and picks up a tool of competition; tell him that to really be of value he must stand ready to compete, dominate, and, if necessary, kill, if not actually, then virtually, financially, athletically.

Over the last two years every man I know shared his own version of the same basic story: a few years filled with wonder and freedom cut short by the subtle and not-so-subtle demands of being a man; a sudden and often violent reduction of individuality into a single version of boyhood.

In what seemed like a moment but what was actually a slow buildup over time, an insidious and deceptively gradual occupation of psychic territory, young men were expected to change, to follow spoken and unspoken cues: don't feel, take control, be physically strong, find your identity in money and work, do not be afraid to kill, distrust everything that you cannot see. Don't cry.

This war against what is considered feminine that is wounding our sons and brothers, fathers and uncles, is familiar to women, but now we see that it is killing the other half of the planet too. But instead of dying of heartache and botched abortions and breast cancer and sexual trauma and low self-esteem, this half is dying of radiation from modern weaponry, suicidal depression, and a soul-killing obsession with the material. This half is dying of prostate cancer and heart attacks and workaholism and an overwhelming sense of failure, of missing something exceedingly important that they cannot name, of disconnection from the source of life itself....

).

First of all, does this boy have a father?  Secondly I would like to know how do you compare wanting to play sports as a way to attract women, to a black man wanting to be white? What a stretch, what Bullshit.
She wants her boy to be a girl. Not gonna happen, and I feel sorry for the kid for what she is going to put him through.  I noticed also how she mentions the war, and states as if common knowledge that "it is already familiar to women". So thusly she shows her true colors, that  she basically (in my view) sees men as the enemy who before this realization/awakening was only to have been seen as the enemy of
women. Now that  she's had an epiphany she can plainly  see that men are destroying Both sexes. More BS
Needless to say, I wont be buying her book (trash).
Stally
Gentleman is a man who consciously serves women. I prefer the golden rule.

Behind every great man, is a
parasite.

Women who say men won't commit, usually aren't worth committing to.

Sir Jessy of Anti

Bang on Stally.  

Her idea of being a boy is essentially being a girl, to the point where she sees the socialization of 'toxic' masculinity in the symbolic representation of baseball bats.  

Did it ever occur to her that 'boys will be boys'?  Or even that male behaviour is inherently biological?  Also, did it ever occur to her that females today suffer from uncertainty about their femininity because they have too many choices?

I think it's only a matter of time until her ilk opines that all these choices are 'oppressive'.  Black is white, freedom is slavery - and all that jazz.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

CaptDMO

Quote from: "Titurel"
Here's an interesting excerpt from a new book by feminist/author Rebecca Walker (daughter of Alice Walker) about societal expectations about masculinity and manhood. Thought-provoking....

quote]

Thanks for the publishers excerpt, now,
What about the REST of the book?
What's YOUR opinion?
Is there a better direct link? (I found navigating the Advocate site archives annoyingly awkward.)

neonsamurai

My boy is intuitive, smart, and creative beyond belief. At the time he loved animals, Japanese anime, the rap group Dead Prez, and everything having to do with snowboarding.

Okay, you'll let your son watch the most violent cartoons on the planet, listen to a rap group with such song titles as:

Cop Shot, Assassination, The Pistol, Mind Sex and Behind Enemy Lines.

With Lyrics like:
We learn the chokeholds with fishermen's
Thread
I read the art of sun-tzu in a couple of
Fuckin days
Used to practice kung-fu with this nigga
That's like, double my age
And you can put this on the government's
Grave
Somebody payin for the way we have to
Suffer and slave
Assassination, word up

But you're worried that by playing softball he might be 'being prepared to pick up a gun'?

My advice to this woman is to lock her son in the basement and only let him watch the Care Beras movie and play with Barbie dolls. She can let him out when he's 20 and everything will be fine.

tell him that he will not be loved unless he abandons his own desires and picks up a tool of competition; tell him that to really be of value he must stand ready to compete, dominate, and, if necessary, kill, if not actually, then virtually, financially, athletically.

Tell you what though love, why not forbid him to do any of the above and I'm sure he'll grow up a fine and balanced young man. We all know that competition is evil.
Dr. Kathleen Dixon, the Director of Women's Studies: "We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech!"

dr e

This woman is so guilty of raping diversity that it ain't funny.  She wants her son to be like her!  This is the danger of a single mom.  If he is not like her (or at least what she wants to be) chatty, open, sweet, nice, then something is wrong with him. Any man would understand his desire to be on a team.  Someone needs to give her a clue and let her know that the masculine development is dependent on a "quest."  Boys become men often through a quest of sorts and men stay vibrant when they have a mission to accomplish.  It can be anything...but it leads the boy to learn more of himself.  Sports teams (or even being a fan of a team) are diluted examples of these quests as are video games when examined in microcosm.  The native American vision quest is an even better example.  If  boys are not allowed access to quests her wish will come true and he will stay much like her until he is strong enough to rebel.

Did she forbid her daughter from using make-up?  From wearing stylish clothes or trying to look attractive?  If not, then there is a definite double standard working here.  

Of course, girls are exalted simply due to their attractiveness.  Farrell calls this the worship of the "genetic treasure".  Some girls don't have to do anything in order to be worshipped and adored.  Others of course are not so lucky and live a life of catch up through weight loss, cosmetics, self-help etc.  The boys though are almost never adored just for their inborn genetics nor can they use cosmetics as a means to be more adored.   They are very aware that in order to be adored they must DO SOMETHING.  This of course is the essence of Farrell's writing: That boys are only valued for what they do and not for who they are.  I do agree that we need to value men and boys as humans.  Typhonblue said it very well when she said:

If a man is human he is useless as a machine, as a work horse and as a wallet. A man should have no needs outside of those of his own--er...wife.

Exactly.

OTOH we need to honor a boys different path in reaching maturity and not try to fit him into a feminine cookie cutter like this woman seems to be doing.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

bluegrass

Well there certainly is a lot going on here.  These idiots just plain worry too much about the personal being political -- so much so that they'll compromise a healthy childhood for their own children.

One thing I've learned in my almost four years as a father of a little girl, is that raising children is very basic.  Give them trust and guide yourself with one simple question:  "What is loving about what I'm doing right now?"  It will direct everything you do for that kid and invariably bring a positive outcome.  In the end, the kid ends up instructing you how to raise him or her.

She's asking herself how she wants him to be, not helping him in forming his identity.  She acts from the perspective that she has all the answers and is infallible in her judgement of human nature.  

In the end, she's not much different than the parent who lives vicariously through the athletic son.  They are moral equivalents.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

Titurel

Shame is a natural fear of abnormality.  Only a normal person can feel it.  Feminists like Mzz Walker fear and loathe normality.  What happened to her?  It is time once again, my patient, long suffering friends, to post a link to the papers of Howard S. Schwartz.  Gird yourselves with the breastplate of knowledge and the shield of insight.  Cut through confusion with the sword of...  Oh, enough preaching, here's the link:

http://www.sba.oakland.edu/faculty/schwartz/Papers.htm

neonsamurai

Bluegrass said:
She's asking herself how she wants him to be, not helping him in forming his identity.

I think you hit the nail on the head there and made an excellent point.

It's like these parents who say that they don't want their kids playing war or having toy guns. As if making it taboo will stop boys from growing up wanting to be soldiers, but it always reminds me of chief Wiggum in 'the Simpsons'.

"What is it with you kids and my forbidden closet of mystery?"
Dr. Kathleen Dixon, the Director of Women's Studies: "We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech!"

Titurel

>Is there a better direct link? (I found navigating the Advocate site archives annoyingly awkward.)<

Actually Captain, I don't usually cruise the Advocate site, didn't even know it existed in fact.  I got the review from a FEMINIST message board.  It sure sounds like their kind of book.

Andyong

Encouraging children to take part in competitive activities is a good thing to do, especially the physical ones like sports. Ultimately children will grow up to become adults and they who would complete with each other in the society whether they like it or not.

In competitions conflicts are inevitable, asking kids to participate in compeitions and at the same time teaching them how to resolve conflicts with the spirit of generosity and sportsmanship is the right thing to do. Sadly, very seldom do I see schools doing that anymore, the lack of male roles models can be very damaging to boys.

This women is foolishly banning her son from taking part in competitions altogether believing that it would solve all problems, but it's inevitable that the boy will be completing with other boys some day. It is best for him to learn how to handle wounded pride, failures, rejections and all it takes to be a good competitor when he is still young. Instead of having to deal with violence/suicide that might happen when he grow up not knowing the right way to complete.

Go Up