Stand Your Ground Forums > Main

Transgender golfer barred from women's tournament

(1/5) > >>

Mr. Nickle:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/07/18/sports1615EDT0222.DTL

Transgender golfer barred from women's tournament

Sunday, July 18, 2004

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A golfer who was born a hermaphrodite was banned from a woman's tournament because her birth certificate lists her gender as male.

Instead, 40-year-old Danielle Swope will play in Saturday's qualifier for the Fort Wayne Men's City Tournament.

"I have respect for the men for at least giving me the opportunity to play. The women I don't have any respect for," Swope said in The Journal Gazette on Sunday.

Swope said she was born in Meridian, Miss., with both male and female reproductive organs and underwent gender-reassignment operations to become completely female.

But her Mississippi birth certificate states she was born male. The Fort Wayne Women's Golf Association said that was why Swope could not play in the Women's City Golf Tournament. Swope, who took up golf about two years ago, also was barred from last year's tournament.

"I feel sorry for her all around," said Linda Franze, president of the Fort Wayne Women's Golf Association. "I can't imagine what she's going through. But there are rules and they apply to all of us."

The LPGA Tour, U.S. Golf Association and the Ladies European Tour have policies that players must be female at birth. The Indiana PGA and the Indiana Women's Golf Association adopted similar rules last fall after Swope entered the Indiana Women's Open.

Swope, 5-foot-4 and 160 pounds, said she was raised a boy but underwent a series of operations to make her completely female from 1995-97. She legally changed her name from Daniel Swope to Danielle Swope in 1996.

---------

I love this quote

"I have respect for the men for at least giving me the opportunity to play. The women I don't have any respect for," Swope said in The Journal Gazette on Sunday.

So much for inclusiveness and all that. It's really astounding how many stories you come across about how women will not accept a transgendered person into their groups.  This person was born with a beaver and a lever. She was no more male than female. What are they afraid of? A little competition? I thought women could beat men at golf after all that hoopla-a-la Annika Sorenstam.

And I love how they pull out the rule book when it suits them.
But there are rules and they apply to all of us.

Unless, of course, you're a woman and want to play in a men's competition and don't want to play from the men's tees, :roll: or have to qualify like everyone else.

dr e:
Where's Martha Burk when ya need her?  She should be outraged!  Is the LPGA an exclusive women's club?  Oh my!

Stallywood:
If women really thought they were equal to men, this situation would not happen.  Its amazing how this society can live with such beliefs that are so schizoid.  I mean you have to be to believe such opposing ideals.
Stally

neonsamurai:
Stallywood said:

--- Quote ---If women really thought they were equal to men, this situation would not happen.
--- End quote ---

I tried to argue a similar point on a radio phone in program, but I was talking about tennis. It's like you said Stally, there's hypocrisy surrounding this whole issue. I can see why they're doing what they're doing and refusing the let Danielle play, because she'll have an unfair advantage. But it's the fact that they won't admit the reason why she can't play, preferring to result to saying that it's the rules.

But can you imagine if it turned out there'd been a mix up and it turned out Danielle had been recorded as a woman on her birth certificate? They would try and find another legal reason why she couldn't play, blaming it on her hormone levels or something.

Mr. Nickle:
But she's not even much bigger than most of the women.

--- Quote ---Swope, 5-foot-4 and 160 pounds
--- End quote ---

She sounds short and chunky. It's not like she is one of those female east German athletes from the cold war. I don't see why they are so afraid of her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version