Awesome Brad Pitt quote

Started by Assault, Aug 06, 2004, 04:22 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Assault

"You shouldn't speak until you know what you're talking about. That's why I get uncomfortable with interviews. Reporters ask me what I feel China should do about Tibet. Who cares what I think China should do? I'm a damm actor! They hand me a script. I act. I'm here for entertainment, basically, when you whittle everything away. I'm a grown man who puts on makeup."

- Brad Pitt

You know what, I totally respect this guy. He seems like a humble guy who understands his limitations, I think that is an admirable trait that is in short supply in the media nowadays. 8)
Feminism is the product of female selfishness, compounded by male chivalry.

- Peter Zohrab -

mr niceguy

Well, China and Tibet are kind of remote to us here in the U.S., so I'd say that only those who have studied the situation closely (and that may or may not include Richard Gere) are qualified to speak on the issue.

However, I think that American entertainers such as G. Garofalo, B. Springsteen, Natalie Maines, and (for a little balance I'll throw in) Toby Keith are just as qualified to speak on "American issues" --- such as whether or not we should have invaded Iraq --- as most of the blowhard pundits that clutter my TV screen.

Assault

Quote from: "mr niceguy"
Well, China and Tibet are kind of remote to us here in the U.S., so I'd say that only those who have studied the situation closely (and that may or may not include Richard Gere) are qualified to speak on the issue.

However, I think that American entertainers such as G. Garofalo, B. Springsteen, Natalie Maines, and (for a little balance I'll throw in) Toby Keith are just as qualified to speak on "American issues" --- such as whether or not we should have invaded Iraq --- as most of the blowhard pundits that clutter my TV screen.

It's not so much a matter of who's qualified to speak on any given issue that's the problem for me. The thing I don't like is when these celebrities and the public in general act as though thier opinion carries more weight than the average person.

Just because you happen to be famous doesn't somehow make you an all knowing being that the masses should follow. Plus, depending on the circumstances, I pay to see an entertainer do his job, not to give me his opinion.

- Peter Zohrab -

napnip

Reminds me of that commercial on television a few years ago:   "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV...."

Or in Martin Sheen's case, "I'm not a public official with access to top secret documents, but I play one on TV, therefore you should listen to me and pattern your political and world views after me, because I'm enlightened and socially aware, and you're not."
i] We drank our toast to innocence,
We drank our toast to now.
We tried to reach beyond the emptiness,
But neither one knew how. [/i]

mr niceguy

It's not so much a matter of who's qualified to speak on any given issue that's the problem for me. The thing I don't like is when these celebrities and the public in general act as though thier opinion carries more weight than the average person.

Just because you happen to be famous doesn't somehow make you an all knowing being that the masses should follow. Plus, depending on the circumstances, I pay to see an entertainer do his job, not to give me his opinion.

I'll concede this: such entertainers are exercising not only their rights, but their power. Their power to persuade, their power to be seen and heard. But if someone in the media stuck a camera in my face (a man-in-the-street interview, perhaps), I would want to exercise that same power, assuming that I was articulate and coherent enough to pull it off. It's not that the entertainer's opinion carries more weight; it's just that the camera happens to be in his face.

It's true that you're paying entertainers to do their job, but they're usually not pontificating about politics when you're paying them, are they (on their CDs or in their films)? They're pontificating for free on TV or on the op-ed page. An analogy: the head waiter at your favorite restaurant, when he's not working, volunteers his time at anti-drug youth rallies. Well hell, you're paying him to wait tables, not get kids off drugs! But what he does on his own time is his right and his business, wouldn't you say? And who is he hurting by doing that?

Assault

It's true that you're paying entertainers to do their job, but they're usually not pontificating about politics when you're paying them, are they (on their CDs or in their films)? They're pontificating for free on TV or on the op-ed page.

I was thinking more along the lines of concerts, plays, etc....basically live shows of some sort.

- Peter Zohrab -

mr niceguy

I was thinking more along the lines of concerts, plays, etc....basically live shows of some sort.
Oh --- OK. That I can see. But I also think that conservatives who are subjected to that sort of public pontificating by liberals have a particular tendency to overreact. An example is when some Linda Ronstadt fans in Vegas practically rioted in protest against her when she dedicated a song to Michael Moore. As Bill Maher recently said: if Toby Keith dedicated a song to Sean Hannity, liberals would just roll their eyes and move on with their lives.

Assault

Oh --- OK. That I can see. But I also think that conservatives who are subjected to that sort of public pontificating by liberals have a particular tendency to overreact. An example is when some Linda Ronstadt fans in Vegas practically rioted in protest against her when she dedicated a song to Michael Moore. As Bill Maher recently said: if Toby Keith dedicated a song to Sean Hannity, liberals would just roll their eyes and move on with their lives.

Yeah, but you see my argument is that I disagree with that garbage regardless of your political stripe. If I went to a Metallica concert and they started spewing something about how they support Stephen Harper (Canadian Conservative leader), I would still be upset.

I'm paid to do my job and only my job. I expect the same from entertainers whom I spend my hard earned dollars on.

I agree though that many people wouldn't complain if "thier" politics were discussed in this manner. My point is that I don't want to hear about it period.

- Peter Zohrab -

mr niceguy

I hear ya, Assault.

You know what pisses me off? When a performing singer holds the mike up in the air and expects the audience to sing the whole damn song without him/her. To encourage a little bit of audience participation is fine --- and if I want to sing along, I will, whether I'm invited to do so or not --- but don't abdicate your own responsibilities as a working musician.

Gabriel

"You shouldn't speak until you know what you're talking about. That's why I get uncomfortable with interviews. Reporters ask me what I feel China should do about Tibet. Who cares what I think China should do? I'm a damm actor! They hand me a script. I act. I'm here for entertainment, basically, when you whittle everything away. I'm a grown man who puts on makeup."

- Brad Pitt

I've always enjoyed his movies and selections of roles.  Although I am a heterosexual, I'd rather look at a good looking male actor than a not good looking male actor. A good looking male actor is still easier on my eyes.

Part of me respects this statement (my initial thoughts), but I get the feeling that he says stuff like this to combat his pretty boy image and to win respect from men.

Assault

Quote from: "Gabriel"

Part of me respects this statement (my initial thoughts), but I get the feeling that he says stuff like this to combat his pretty boy image and to win respect from men.

That's a possibility. He does do some funny "guy stuff" such as the prank he and some t.v. show pulled where Brad Pitt was walking around downtown, and of course people were ogling, etc. A van pulls up and a couple guys jump out and forcefully kidnap him, much to the crowds suprise. Pretty funny stuff, but like you suggested, it could be he's just trying to offset his pretty boy image. :lol:

I just think he's a cool guy though. :P

- Peter Zohrab -

Pernicious

That was the show Jackass...

Pretty funny stuff... So many people were calling the police..
 do what I need to do to protect my loved ones, friends, and family. This is what men do.

Go Up