Women laughing at prostate cancer

Started by Mr Benn, Nov 24, 2004, 08:59 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Mr Benn

Even when they try to help, they have to degrade and laugh at men:

http://www.brprostate.org/

Includes a photo of a naked man covering himself up and the phrase:

What do we have to do to remind you to get a prostate screening? Try a ribon about it?

Photo of a man and a woman with the phrase:

How to make sure he gets a screening: no screening, no nookie.

A photo of a man only from the waist down, with the phrase:

This ad is intended to hit you below the belt.

A photo of a black man with the phrase:

Finally it pays to think with your dick

And, the award for the most tasteless concept? Two different photos of women with the phrases:

I suffer from prostate cancer.

Yep, we should have known, its the poor little women who are the ones who suffer, even when it comes to prostate cancer.

Please look at the site, and if you feel as disgusted as I do, contact them and let them know:

250 West 57th Street
Suite 716
New York, NY 10107

Phone: 866.489.0727 (toll-free)
Fax: 212.582.0173
Email: [email protected]

1616 Walnut Street
Suite 1520
Philadelphia, PA 19103

Phone: 215.732.2300
Fax: 215.732.7575
Email: [email protected]

(Thanks to Zenpriest for alerting us to this.)
ww.CoolTools4Men.com

LSBeene

Can you imagine if the ads for BREAST cancer went like this:

If she won't go for screenings hold up her bra and remind her that after her mastectomy that she won't need to wear this any more.

Remind her during sex that if she doesn't get screened that she won't have anything for you to hold on to.

Don't like men staring at your breasts?  Don't have a breast exam for lumps and you won't have to worry about that any more.

Can you just SEE the burning bras and screaming women outside the building of this advertising agency if those were ads for breast cancer?

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Setaseba

Sorry but I can't get behind you on this one bud. It's like winning a house in a lottery and then complaining because the trim isn't the right colour.

I read everything word on their site. Yes, they make fun of us but they also point out that our ignorance is the same as women's was at the beginning of breast cancer awareness efforts. They are taking it upon themselves to educate us (and society) and they think that the best way to do that is to rag on us. Be truthful, that's how we guys kid around amongst ourselves isn't it? They're doing what they think will work with men while getting a laugh of sympathy from women.

Since we're being honest here - they're right. Most men won't go near a doctor unless he's lost an arm or something. Most of us hate doctors and it's our women who generally have to nag us to go. Personally, I don't have a problem with that IMO there are far too many women in clinic waiting rooms and clogging up emergency rooms for silly problems. But this site was created by women and that's how they see us. They see themselves as the custodians of their loved ones health.

But most importantly, they want to set up centres of wellness for men to do research into a cure and to provide support for men and their families. Personally, I don't mind a little ribbing by smug females if it means one man's life is saved because of it.

LSBeene

On the link he provides there is a "contact us" screen.  And further there is a "E-mail us" on the NEXT screen.  Up pops a little "form letter" screen.

Here is what I sent:

I want to applaud your effort to raise awareness of prostate cancer.  But I must also add how deeply concerned about your advertising campaign I am.  Specifically:

What do we have to do to remind you to get a prostate screening? Try a ribon about it?

Photo of a man and a woman with the phrase:

How to make sure he gets a screening: no screening, no nookie.

A photo of a man only from the waist down, with the phrase:

This ad is intended to hit you below the belt.

A photo of a black man with the phrase:

Finally it pays to think with your dick

I think these advertisments are tasteless, condescending, wirtten by women who think this life altering disease is a JOKE, and hardly sympathetic or helpful to men.

If you think I am being "over the top" allow me to reverse the genders and show you how it would look if the same people wrote breast exam advertising:

Quote:
If she won't go for screenings hold up her bra and remind her that after her mastectomy that she won't need to wear this any more.

Quote:
Remind her during sex that if she doesn't get screened that she won't have anything for you to hold on to.

Quote:
Don't like men staring at your breasts? Don't have a breast exam for lumps and you won't have to worry about that any more.

Do THESE advertisments seem "playfull", "quirky", or "eye-catching"?  I'm sure to some mysoginistic male advertising writer who cares not a whit for women they seem hilarious and very appropriate.

But for a cancer that strikes at a very personal area of man (or woman's) anatomy the advertisments on your site are truly mirthless.

I belong to many men's and father's groups and I will be passing your site name, examples of your ads, and my opinion along to them.

Show ads that will make men think, but not insult them about this highly personal and debilitating disease.

And get rid of your advertising staff.  They do you a complete disservice.

L. Steven Beene II

I'm going to pass this along to Men's Activism to see if we can't get a few letters going on this.

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

dr e

We all need to be treated with dignity and respect.  I think some of those ads fail to do that.  We need to treat men and boys with the same respect we do women and girls.

Our culture has consistently seen men as expendable and I think that devaluation can be seen in some of these ads.  Notice that they show women as "suffering from prostate cancer".  The message is that men need to take care of women (the valuble ones) by getting checked.  Have you ever seen a breast cancer ad that showed the man as suffering from breast cancer?  We just don't see men as valuable.

The problem is that the health care system is not created to be male friendly.  An interesting bit of research came out a while back that showed that men were less likely to make appts to doctors since they would be forced to wait for an hour or more.  The women didn't mind this as much and simply waited.  If we want to get men in to see docs we need to start adjusting the system and make it "male-friendly."  In order for us to do this we first need to think of males as valuable and worth changing the system in order to save them.  At this point we are not there.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

dr e

No mammogram, no shopping money.
:roll:
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

daksdaddy

If we want to get men in to see docs we need to start adjusting the system and make it "male-friendly." In order for us to do this we first need to think of males as valuable and worth changing the system in order to save them. At this point we are not there.

At the very least, The unthinking populace, might be inclined to see a doctor based on these adverts.

Sorry but I can't get behind you on this one bud. It's like winning a house in a lottery and then complaining because the trim isn't the right colour. [quote/]

It's not that i disagree with LS or The Dr, But why beat the sheeple on the skull with it? Seems to me that you get it, or you don't. Besides the mortality rate on (Planet earth) is %100.
t is perhaps a terrible thing to say, but "rights and freedoms we are not willing to fight for are rights and freedoms we don't deserve."

Alpha Male

I think they need to be encouraged to continue their work in a more positive way. Here was my response:

Your site was brought to my attention by other men on a men's issues website. I wanted to see it for myself. After viewing the ads I have to admit I am torn. While I would commend your efforts to raise awareness I believe that some of the ads are misappropriate. Going with my gut on this, I wouldn't have responded positively to some of those ads if I was ignorant of the disease. Neither would have my father who did not survive his bout with this disease. I mention this because I want you to understand I am sincerely interested in you continuing your efforts. I just think that you aren't going to have the impact you hope to achieve if you belittle men. We respond to facts much more that we respond to emotion, threats, or insults.
Thank you for your efforts thus far and I pray you will continue to work towards better education in a positive and constructive light.
Sincerely,
ies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

angryharry

Written two years ago - for what it's worth  ...

In a recent popular medical series entitled Trust Me I'm A Doctor, one of the programmes contained information about testicular cancer. It was treated as if it was some sort of joke. You know, jokes about men’s testicles and the way they hang and what have you. But in the same series they covered the topic of breast cancer. This topic was treated with absolute seriousness and concern.

Is it therefore surprising that young men do not learn to take their health seriously when influential programmes on the BBC do not take such matters seriously themselves but, instead, poke fun at the men whom they are purportedly concerned about?
ttp://www.angryharry.com ... the only site in the entire world with the aforementioned domain address

jaketk

this was my response to their site:

I admire your desire to increase awareness about prostate cancer. It is a much avoided, less advertised diseases that affects and kills thousands of men every year.

However, as much as I would like to support your organization, I am unable to due to the tone of your ads and your website.

Statements such as:

"What guys never wanted to know"

"Most men don't know their prostate from their elbows. "

"Women are aware, informed and proactive!
Men are none of the above. "

Such statement suggest not only that men care nothing about their lives, are ignorant (not of knowledge, but essentially "dumb"), and that men lack the same qualities as women, but that prostate cancer is a joke to your organization. I followed the breast cancer link provided, and I could find no advertisement of similar tone, nor have I ever seen one, and I live in a major city.

Such ads and comments would not be tolerated if they were said about women, even in jest. To base your entire organization around it implies that this issue does not truly concern you. Given the severity of the affect of the disease, I am truly appalled by your organization's lack of respect towards men.

I will be passing organization's name along to men's and father's rights group.

I hope that you will think about this and not just toss this email aside. Prostate cancer is serious, and the men affected by it should not be treated as imbeciles or reckless, hormone-driven idiots.

D

Quote from: "angryharry"
Written two years ago - for what it's worth  ...

In a recent popular medical series entitled Trust Me I'm A Doctor, one of the programmes contained information about testicular cancer. It was treated as if it was some sort of joke. You know, jokes about men's testicles and the way they hang and what have you. But in the same series they covered the topic of breast cancer. This topic was treated with absolute seriousness and concern.

Is it therefore surprising that young men do not learn to take their health seriously when influential programmes on the BBC do not take such matters seriously themselves but, instead, poke fun at the men whom they are purportedly concerned about?

All a part of the demonization process.  My guess is they'll be gassing men for being men before to long.

Stallywood

Quote from: "LSBeene"
Can you imagine if the ads for BREAST cancer went like this:

Don't like men staring at your breasts?  Don't have a breast exam for lumps and you won't have to worry about that any more.

Can you just SEE the burning bras and screaming women outside the building of this advertising agency if those were ads for breast cancer?

Steven

Great analogies.
Stally
Gentleman is a man who consciously serves women. I prefer the golden rule.

Behind every great man, is a
parasite.

Women who say men won't commit, usually aren't worth committing to.

Go Up