Started by Sir Jessy of Anti, Dec 08, 2004, 03:59 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Sir Jessy of Anti

The problem with men
Obvious link between masculinity, violence has long been ignored
By BEVERLY MCPHAIL

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/2930952

Much media attention and water-cooler conversation has centered on the Detroit Pistons-Indiana Pacers game that ended in violence. The usual suspects were rounded up: race, celebrity, gangsta mentality and a general decline in civility. However, the elephant in the living room was rarely mentioned, that is, men and masculinity. Although gender is the major organizing category by which people come to know themselves and others, we act as if we don't know it. The word "gender" is most often used as a proxy for women and girls. Masculinity thus becomes invisible. Our society plays a big price for that ignorance, for men have a gender, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Carefully defining what constitutes a problem is of vital importance because the definition guides the solution. When the toxic results of masculinity remain hidden, solutions are crafted that have nothing to do with the problem. Such erroneous thinking happens frequently.

For instance, several years ago much hand-wringing followed a rash of school shootings that occurred across the country. Fingers were pointed at the accessibility of guns, youth violence and the rural-suburban locale of many of the shootings. However, the larger point was missed: The perpetrators were not generic youth, but boys and men.

Pointing out the obvious grows tiresome and a little dangerous when one is a woman and a feminist. Charges of "man-hater" abound. But it is not about hating men to point out the dangers of masculinity as it is presently constructed. In fact, it is done out of a caring for men and the desire for them to escape from an oppressive masculine script that mandates that they come out of the womb with fist raised in order to be real men.

In our world today, to be masculine, a man must be in control, independent, competitive and aggressive -- with the capacity for violence. Aggression and the willingness to fight are tightly tied to masculinity and proving one's manhood. When there is a challenge to a man's masculinity, a shove on the basketball court or a cup of ice thrown, he must respond with aggression and violence if he is to be perceived as a real man. The loss of games played or salary earned pales in comparison to the importance of asserting one's manhood.

These contests of masculinity occur off the basketball court and in every other public venue as well.

Psychologist Stephen Ducat's new book, The Wimp Factor, illuminates the struggle to avoid being called a wimp in the political arena. Ducat names "anxious masculinity" as the real culprit when masculinity is a precarious and brittle achievement that must be constantly asserted, day by day and moment by moment. It's a definition of masculinity based on domination and the fear of being seen as feminine.

This played out in the presidential election when the Bush team succeeded in portraying its man as hypermasculine -- he doesn't consult others, doesn't admit error, goes on the offensive, drives a pickup truck, swaggers like a cowboy and marries a woman who appears subordinate. In contrast, John Kerry was painted as having feminine qualities -- he looks for consensus, consults others, is well-spoken and marries an opinionated woman.

Even policy issues are gendered. Public assistance programs and environmental issues, for example, are coded feminine and thus viewed negatively.

Not only is anxious masculinity a problem for men, it creates real problems for women. The underlying issue for men is fear and hatred of the feminine, both perceived feminine qualities in themselves and flesh-and-blood women. Such attitudes underlie many of the problems women face today, ranging from gender inequality at home and work, to domestic violence and rape.

Although basketball is viewed by many as just a game, sports is symbolically linked with warfare and masculinity, for players and the fans alike. Boys learn how to be men on the nation's fields, courts and diamonds. They are often castigated for poor play and effort with gender-based insults, such as when they are called "girls" and "ladies," learning to disdain not only girls and women, but also any perceived feminine qualities in themselves.

What happens when they walk off the field and out of the stands and into roles as father and lover? Often they bring the tests of masculinity and violence with them.

If we keep pointing the finger at sports or lack of societal civility in general, we are missing a vital opportunity to have a conversation about masculinity. Although the success of the women's movement was an expansion of roles and attributes for women, men remain in a small box of restricted masculinity. This restriction of human qualities causes much unacknowledged grief for men, women, children and our world as a whole. It's time -- no, past time -- to redefine what it means to be a man.

McPhail is a Houston-based writer who writes frequently on women's issues.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

daksdaddy

You know.
Beverly McPhail may have a point there.
But if she parted her hair differenty, It might not show!

Carefully defining what constitutes a problem is of vital importance because the definition guides the solution. When the toxic results of masculinity remain hidden
:P  :P
t is perhaps a terrible thing to say, but "rights and freedoms we are not willing to fight for are rights and freedoms we don't deserve."

Gabriel

I think the problem with men is that we are too awesome and perfect that women are jealous of us and have to invent things to try and make themselves appear and feel equal to us, and they want to feel equal to us because they got some stupid amendment passed like 82 years ago.

Alpha Male

What misandrist tripe!
The only bit of truth in there that matters is that men are confined in a small box.
ies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

FEMINAZIHATEMARTYR

It's time — no, past time — to redefine what it means to be a man.

Shes got it backwards. Its long overdue to define hate-speech from a tort standpoint. Time to penalize this kind of feminazi hubris to its ultimate end; exile to North Korea. :twisted:

Heres the email link for her and the Houston Chronicle. I asked the Chronicle to reject any and all further articles from radicals like her for their intrinsically bigoted slant.

[email protected]
[email protected]

"Theres nothing that I detest more than the stench of lies." Colonel Kurtz

Heres a sample of the intensely bigoted propaganda being brainwashed into the universities these days;

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Ir-vhbjcyuQJ:www.sw.uh.edu/schedules/summer04/SOCW6304.pdf+BEVERLY+MCPHAIL+contact+email&hl=en

Utterly despicable. :evil:
What good fortune for government that people do not think."
                         Adolph Hitler

"Where madness rules the absurd is not far away."

We must not make the mistake of thinking that all those who eat the bread of dictatorship are evil from the first; but they must necessarily become evil....The curse of a system of terror is that there is no turning back; neither in the large realm of policies nor the 'smaller' realm of everyday human relationships is it possible for men to retrace their steps."
- Dr. Hans Bernd Gisevius
(1904-1974)

angryharry

Believe it or not, I am a wimp.

You don't find many men much more 'unmasculine' than my good self.

I don't like sports, don't drink and have never 'womanised' - i.e. gone round having one-night stands.

And so while Mzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Beverley Mcphail might like to think that 'maculinity' is the problem, she is wrong - at least with regard to the future.

In the future, men like my good self are going to be the problem.

i.e. men-who-sit-at-screens

And 'macho' men will simply be their puppets.

Mzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Beverley Mcphail is looking in the wrong place.
ttp://www.angryharry.com ... the only site in the entire world with the aforementioned domain address

neoteny

McPhail is a Houston-based writer who writes frequently on women's issues.

I guess naggin' at men and giving uninvited advice regarding how we should run our lives is the perennial "women's issue"...  :lol:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

alien

A vision starts ... yes a vision ... it's coming to me as I write ... I see a woman ... yes a young woman ...  in some jail ... yes I see her clearly now ... she's walking something ... using some sort of leash ... yes something is being lead around on a leash ... it looks like a man ... a man ... a prisoner ... yes a naked prisoner ...  vision ends.

Well that doesn't make any sense ... how can a woman do such a thing?

Tony Ananda

In late ages which may be proud of their humaneness there remains so much fear, so much superstitious fear of the "savage cruel beast," to have mastered which constitutes the very pride of those more humane ages, that even palpable truths as if by general agreement, remain unspoken for centuries, because they seem as though they might help to bring back to life that savage beast which has been finally laid to rest.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

That is what we are seeing here.  These sentiments are expressions of superstitious, primordial fear.  It is pre-rational, immune to arguments and even experience.  It has the flavor of, "Oh my God, the Huns are real!  They live among us disguised as respectable citizens."  

http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/bgept7.htm
When the going gets weird, the wierd turn pro.

neonsamurai

I saw the Pixar Studios movie 'The Incredibles' this weekend and I think it covered this subject very well indeed.

Super heroes who aren't allowed to use their superpowers because people feel threatened by them? Men aren't allowed to be men because people feel threatened by them?

Not to give too much away, but the film kind of centres around a guy called Mr Incredible who is forced to retire from being a superhero after some of the people he saved from certain death sue him for trying to help. He ends up doing a job he hates having to act in the exact opposite way than he used to. Funnily enough he's quite depressed about this.

Of course stopping men from being men or boys from being boys wouldn't make any of us depressed at all, would it?

It's a good film and worth watching.
Dr. Kathleen Dixon, the Director of Women's Studies: "We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech!"

Alpha Male

LOL. I know it is only an animated children's movie but I am glad I am not the only one who caught this, Neon.

After the movie this was exactly the point we ended up discussing.
Generaly, when a man is allowed to act within his nature, he excels, has a good sense of self and well being, he is happy. And it trickles down to the family.
ies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

Go Up