Scott Peterson-- what does it tell ya?

Started by Bender, Dec 14, 2004, 11:27 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

daksdaddy

Lack of emotion has been used against defendants, emotional responses have been used against defendants.

Do ya? or Don't Ya?
t is perhaps a terrible thing to say, but "rights and freedoms we are not willing to fight for are rights and freedoms we don't deserve."

The Gonzman

Quote from: "angryharry"
Re: lack of emotion

I think that people - especially men - often 'freeze' in circumstances in which others would expect them to display emotions.

I think that this also happens in things like war.

I can tell you for a fact it does.

In males, the ability to seperate the logical and the feeling sides of our brains is a vital survival mechanism.  Get in a firefight, or any combat - be hunting, or the hunted, and males will easier be able to quell panic by simply not feeling anything.  It's what also gives men the ability to concentrate on a single task, and filter out any distractions.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

dr e

Exactly Gonzo.  The male brain is very different from the female brain.  When both men and women are stressed oxytocin is released in the bloodstream.  This hormone encourages women to "tend and befriend" when stressed, that is, to nurture and be nurtured.  The man's oxytocin is neutered by his testosterone which puts the man into the traditional "fight or flight" response which focuses on action rather than interaction.  Deeds trump feelings.  A woman named Shelley Taylor did the fascinating research on this and wrote a book titled "The Tending Instinct."  Slowly these sorts of physiological gender differences are breaking through the lace curtain.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

MacKenzie

Personally, I think Peterson knew by that point that he would be found guilty of the crime no matter what he did during the trial.

Why bother with them. The impartiality of the jury was compromised a long time ago by the incessant months of media coverage.

So, does anyone think that "Connor's Law" will have an effect on the rights of the unborn now that Peterson was found guilty by the jury?
FEMINISM IS A CULT THAT TRIES TO MAKE BOTH SEXES EQUAL BY FOCUSING SOLELY ON ONE OF THEM

Alpha Male

I agree. Men do not get as emotional even in life and death situations. Add to this that men are trained socially from a very young age to contol and hide emotions. At least I was. Men that display emotions are generally ridiculed and shamed.

As for Connor's Law... yeah, I think we're about to see some major slugfests in the political/legal arena. The precedent has been set. Religious backed lobbies are going to attempt to solidify and cement the idea that an unborn child is, none-the-less, a child and is due the same protection as any other human. Gay, aetheist, medical, and womyn lobbies are going to attempt to block it. Again using the argument that any restrictive legislation in this area will prevent the doctor from employing what he may feel is the best/safest course of action for the patient. In essence they will attempt to argue that such legislation will endanger the health and well-being of women.

It will be very interesting to watch how things unfold here for the next couple of years. As soon as they convicted SP of the murder of Connor a double standard was created. I expect that those lobbies may try to appeal the second charge of murder before or after SP is put to death.(I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure how that would work of if it is really possible.) They don't care if he is convicted of the first.
ies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

angryharry

Dr Evil

When both men and women are stressed oxytocin is released in the bloodstream. This hormone encourages women to "tend and befriend" when stressed, that is, to nurture and be nurtured. The man's oxytocin is neutered by his testosterone which puts the man into the traditional "fight or flight" response which focuses on action rather than interaction. Deeds trump feelings. A woman named Shelley Taylor did the fascinating research on this and wrote a book titled "The Tending Instinct." Slowly these sorts of physiological gender differences are breaking through the lace curtain.

This helps to explain many many things.

Such as ...

1. Why women tend to like dominant and/or difficult men.

2. Why the behaviours of such men are positively reinforced **by women** and, hence, are perpetuated.

3. Why, as a result of 1 and 2 above, date rape accusations etc (misunderstandings) are so frequent.

... and a host of others things that I don't think I'll mention lest I get an earful - from you know who!

LOL!
ttp://www.angryharry.com ... the only site in the entire world with the aforementioned domain address

Roy

Gonz observed --

In males, the ability to seperate the logical and the feeling sides of our brains is a vital survival mechanism. Get in a firefight, or any combat - be hunting, or the hunted, and males will easier be able to quell panic by simply not feeling anything. It's what also gives men the ability to concentrate on a single task, and filter out any distractions.

So this is very good news, and further evidence that the "Y" chromosome is doing its diabolical work!

And, since all men are now "in combat" with the Feminocracy... hunted... in fact, legally defined as merely "prey...."

Time has come for focus, concentration, and action.

( I recall what it was like being shot at... and being in peril. I became very much focused on the present moment. I am still typing because of that horrible Patriarchal genetic deficiency.)  :oops:
It's a terrible thing ... living in fear." (Roy - hunted replicant. "Blade Runner.")

D

Lack of emotion?

Heh.

How borish.  

Actually I think the death penalty eforced on him will help him here.  It will force greater scrutiney of the case.  Perhaps it implies reasonable doubt on the part of the jury.

Mr.  Niceguy said the "circumstantial evidence was overwehliming".  I beg to differ.

Unfortunately the case comes down to a 'tribalistic'account of why marriage is bad for women.   This is what's been promoted all along,  that the most dangerous place for a pregnant woman to be is with the husband.   Ironically it is the safest place for a woman to be but that's besides the point.

I will leave you with what I saw written in graffitti on a giant oversized billboard on the main strip in the city.    "THE MEDIA IS LYING TO YOU

:D

typhonblue

I don't think men lack emotions at all. They just are honest about their expression, whereas women, who've learned to manipulate others with their *own* emotions, are not.

Plus in a society where men's relationships with eachother determine their status (rather then their relationship to a woman), they also have the "tend and befriend" instinct, because their relationships to other men are important to them.

Part of that study might just be an artefact of a society in which women gain status through same-sex relationships and men gain status through same-sex competition.

Gabriel

My only interactions with the court system has been traffic court, in it I have had the joy of

Watching cops lie on the stand. That is cops, not a cop.
Prosecutors attempt to suppress evidence.
Other witnesses lie on the stand.
A judge stopping my line of questioning without a prosecution objection (or a good reason)

and have been found guilty every single time I fought (I fought it myself). I was innocent in 3 of the 4 cases I fought.  If a cop  is willing to lie for a traffic ticket, then they are willing to do 100 times worse than that for a murder case. That goes for the prosecutor too.

Beyond a reasonable doubt or not, those are just words. People don't take them seriously. There is innate aura of guilt that hangs over defendant, after all, if he were innocent, why would he be a here?

The way things are supposed to be set up, is that we would rather let 20 guilty people go, than convict an innocent one. But we have far too many innocent people convicted to believe that the theory of our justice system has anything to do with reality.

I do not believe the evidence was convincing to convict Scott Peterson.  I would have found him not guilt, based on the evidence that has come to my attention. But, someone has to pay. Better safe than sorry right? Cause he could do it again and we all would be to blame.  

As a direct result of my traffic tickets, I have made a decision to avoid positioning myself in anyway that an accusation might be leveled against me.

Go Up