Tsunami's salt water may leave islands uninhabitable

Started by daksdaddy, Jan 07, 2005, 12:25 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

daksdaddy

While they are waiting, people will have to rely on imported water, expensive desalination plants or simply catching the monsoon rains.

Ironically, in many places, the dependence on wells results from past aid efforts. Since the 1980s, aid agencies have persuaded millions of communities across the region to abandon traditional surface-water sources in favour of new wells to tap safer underground water.

In Sri Lanka, salt has poisoned thousands of rice farms and plantations of bananas and mangoes. It is already forming a crust on fields as they dry out. "The fields that these people rely on are beyond use for at least another year or two because they have received so much salt water," said Gordon Weiss of UNICEF, the UN children's agency.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6840

Well Duh!
t is perhaps a terrible thing to say, but "rights and freedoms we are not willing to fight for are rights and freedoms we don't deserve."

LSBeene

Man,

The scope of the devastation and all ... I have nothing but sympathy for these people

God be with them!

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Go Up