Autistics and women handling stress

Started by HarryPawedHer, Jan 25, 2005, 02:12 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

HarryPawedHer

UCLA Study

1.) Women handle stress better than men because of the hormone oxytocin which causes them to "tend and befriend."

2.) Oxytocin is a hormone commonly linked to feelings of trust.

3.) Autism is claimed to be a case of the extreme "male brain."

4.) Autisitcs tend to be too trusting.

Final verdict: Somebody's fibbing.

1.) The UCLA study that claims women handle stress better than men encourages women to seek social support from other women, because these friendships stimulate oxytocin production.

2.) One of the biggest factors in making the world such a distrustful place is the inability of so many people to befriend people different from themselves.  Trust stimulates the production of oxytocin.

Final verdict: UCLA study encourages women to shoot themselves in the foot.

And now for the kicker...

I have a problem.  Women with a chip on their shoulders piss me off.  I have very few people I can even mention this problem to without offending them.

The Question:  Is this problem because of hormones or the status-quo?

dr e

Harry are you talking about the research of Shelley Taylor?  If so, she is careful not to make any claims of one way of handling stress as being "better" than the other.  Do you have a link to something where the claim is made of one way being better?  

Her research has helped a great deal in understanding how men and women are very different in the ways we handle stress, change, and emotions in general.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

bluegrass

Another important point to make is that simply having more or less of some hormone or chemical in your body is only part of the picture.

There's also the fact of cell receptors.  If someone has proportionally more receptors for a given substance, odds are they will be more sensitive to its presence.

Then of course it's important to note that none of these substances exists alone.  There are others that may have the opposite or dampening effect.

Internal medicine is tricky business.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

D

Interesting study

It confirms my "They are trying to make women communists" theory etc...

I think there must be exceptions to the rule because I know when some women in my life are stressed they just wanted to be alone.

Some other things I questioned as well.

dr e

Exactly Bluegrass.  I think that men and women have similar levels of oxytocin but the man's testosterone interacts with the oxytocin and minimizes the "cuddle effect" that seems to impact the women. Some theorize that the woman's estrogen amplifies this same effect.  It's a complicated and fascinating process.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

dr e

Thousands of years of evolution have brought us to this state.  There was some research I read a while back that found that men bleed more slowly from gunshot wounds below the waist.  Why do you think that is?  It stumped em.  One researcher has hypothesized that since men have been used as cannon fodder for millenia on battlefields that we have evolved to bleed more slowly.  Those men who bled quickly died quickly and were less likely to be saved and then reproduce.  Those who bled more slowly had a better chance of being saved and live to recover.

Bilbo

The UCLA study also found that women are far more likely than men to "befriend" in response to stress - seeking social contact when they are feeling stressed, with befriending methods ranging from talking on the phone with relatives or friends, to such simple social contacts as asking for directions when lost.

...or completely losing their shit in the breakroom at work...

"When the typical mother in the study came home from work bearing stress, she was more likely to cope with her bad day by focusing her attention on nurturing her children."

"More likely" than the man, but, exactly, how likely overall?
It is impossible to reason a man out of something he was never reasoned into in the first place- Swift

"The cardinal principle of judicial restraint--if it is not necessary to decide more, it is necessary not to decide more."

typhonblue

"When the typical mother in the study came home from work bearing stress, she was more likely to cope with her bad day by focusing her attention on nurturing her children."

Yes. Nothing like being nutured by someone who's using it to relieve their stress.  :shock:

Did this "nurturing" involve an emotional, mental or physical fist?

Go Up