Conversation with a friend.

Started by daksdaddy, Jan 26, 2005, 02:19 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

daksdaddy

In a conversation with a friend of mine (we were talking about maps, geology and orienteering.)

He said "I know two women who do not make right turns when their driving"
"...they only make left turns".

Has anybody here heard or experienced anything similar?
t is perhaps a terrible thing to say, but "rights and freedoms we are not willing to fight for are rights and freedoms we don't deserve."

Sir Jessy of Anti

Yes, a bloke at work told me his mother only makes left turns as well.  Of course, this is in the UK where they drive on the left.  I thought it pretty strange at the time.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

daksdaddy

I have to apologize here. I just spoke with my friend.

The women he was talking about don't make LEFT turns, they only make RIGHT turns.

I had it backwards.
t is perhaps a terrible thing to say, but "rights and freedoms we are not willing to fight for are rights and freedoms we don't deserve."

hurkle

In a country where you drive on the right-hand side, right-hand-turns are not scary, whereas left-hand-turns require much more involvement.
: How many feminists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: THAT'S NOT FUNNY!

angryharry

When you are hanging around in the middle of the road waiting for the oncoming traffic to pass by before executing your turn, it is important to keep your wheels pointing straight forward (i.e. not already steered in the direction of the impending turn) so that if you get banged from behind you are not shoved into the path of the oncoming traffic.

Such wisdom!
ttp://www.angryharry.com ... the only site in the entire world with the aforementioned domain address

Galt

Right.  I think about that too.

Pernicious

Angry, that was one of the first things that my father taught me when I was learning to drive.

I still do it today.

Plus seatbelts really do save lives, he knows because he used to be a police officer and when he was in the traffic department he would see at least one accident a day.
 do what I need to do to protect my loved ones, friends, and family. This is what men do.

The Gonzman

Quote from: "Pernicious"
Plus seatbelts really do save lives, he knows because he used to be a police officer and when he was in the traffic department he would see at least one accident a day.

When my grandfather was kiled in a car accident several years ago, the ME originally had on the medical report - since he was crushed by the door - that wearing a seatbelt contributed to his death.

He was forced to remove that from the final report.  Since then, I have been innately suspicious of such claims.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Mr. Nickle

He said "I know two women who do not make right turns when their driving"
"...they only make left turns".

Has anybody here heard or experienced anything similar?

Yes. I once watched a show about strange driving-phobias and the inability to make a left or right turn was one of them. Another strange behaviour was people who had to stop every other block and get out of the vehicle and look underneath to check if they ran someone over. It was odd because they knew that they didn't really run anyone over but they were compelled to check.
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

The Biscuit Queen

I used to know a woman who would only make right turns unless there were traffic lights with arrows.  She  would drive out of her way just so she could avoid left turns. She would pull out so hesitantly that it was dangerous for her to make lefts.

I have no clue how she got her license.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

CaptDMO

Quote from: "daksdaddy"

The women he was talking about don't make LEFT turns, they only make RIGHT turns.
I had it backwards.

Do folks south of the Equator instintively turn left?(coriolis effect)

Confidence in driving, or operating anything that has a potential to do serious damage to others- like.. bagpipes, is essential. It can only come from instruction and practice.

Of course, I always felt myself to be an exelent driver due to learned habits that became instinctive.It was all those OTHER drivers on the road.

My dad was a (frugal is a polite term)man. Entertainment could involve things like a trip to the junk yard for an "important" part for a car.(radio knob,interior light,lesson on life) I couldn't figure the point of the whole process of extracting a headlight (the old kind) from a wrecked car instead of "just buy one". If I thought for one second he was teaching me the stuff they just don't teach in school I would,of course, rebelled.

Besides the (now) obvious, like the value of tools and how they work, recycling, value of different manufacture quality of the same parts, why it's best to avoid some dogs unless the owner personally introduces you, the value of a towtruck drivers opinion on pending civil matters, there were also the harsh lessons.

"Oooooh shit! (I was allowed LIMITED cussing, and when it was appropriate, at the junkyard) What happened to THAT car? -

A top crushed drivers side, a T-bone, tree wrap, burn out, submarine,peal away,etc. "What happened to the people inside?"  And he'd have the tow truck driver tell me. "but there's kids toys,groceries, luggage, and beer bottles in there!"...................
"Eyup"...........      I learned about closed coffins too.

These were some of the ways my dad taught me about cars, how to drive,life, how to get by,and to be a man (like don't turn the wheels left until you're good to go, and why)

Sneaky bastard

VicVanity

through out the weekends. a good portion of the year, there is a group of people who only turn left  .  they call it nascar  :lol:
quot;Women can help us, but they can't join us. There can be no male/female unity, until there is first some male unity."  Edited from Malcolm X

"Concerning non-violence, it is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks." Malcolm X

"We want freedom by any means necessary. We want justice by any means necessary. We want equality by any means necessary." Malcom X

Lee R.

My goodness, yes!

I dated an AW just last fall, and she would only make right hand turns.

Very weird.

Go Up