Women jabber about themselves

Started by realman, Mar 01, 2005, 10:41 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

realman

I've been noticing more and more that a lot of women seem to like to jabber about themselves an awful lot. Past girlfriends have done it. More often than not, the women I've met/dated lately seem to spend a lot more time telling than asking, if you know what I mean...they'll tell me about this, that, and the other thing, ask a quick question or two, then they're right back to "telling mode". I always thought comversation should be roughly  a 50/50 thing, and I also thought when you met someone new and/or started dating someone they'd have lots of questions to ask, but these girls seem more interesting in me learning about them than they are in learning about me. Anybody have 2 cents to add? Does this phenomena seem to be getting worse lately? :?

typhonblue

yep.

the wimmins love attention.

realman

Typhonblue,

I guess this quote from you pretty well sums it up then:

"Imagine a woman on a life support system. The life support system thinks "I'm so much more important, without me the woman would die." And the woman thinks "I'm so much more important, without me there would be no reason for life support.""

:shock:  :?

I dunno... I'd kind of like it if women were a little more into mutuality... :(

alien

A sense of superiority normally accompanies those that like to tell.

typhonblue

Quote from: "alien"
A sense of superiority normally accompanies those that like to tell.

Hey, what's wrong with a sense of superiority? It's far less intrusive then sensitivity.

I feel a sense of superiority over everyone around me. It gets me through my lonely days.

Chrisvet

To the original poster:

"women who are vain about the fact they don't talk about themselves are vain about that fact."

What I'm saying is your right.  Women in general are attention whores, and demand an incredible amount of personal catering.

Picture a "child's mind" in a womans body.  Thats exactly what you have.
Women's intuition is a result of a million years of not thinking"

"Never take advice from anyone who hasn't done it better than you"

"If you must criticize, offer better solutions with your debate"

typhonblue

Quote from: "Chrisvet"
To the original poster:

"women who are vain about the fact they don't talk about themselves are vain about that fact."

hmm... think you have a touch of adjectivitis here.

Take two strong verbs and call me in the morning.

contrarymary

Quote from: "typhonblue"
yep.

the wimmins love attention.

Uh oh.

Note to self:  Stop posting so much.
quot;I can resist anything but temptation."

Oscar Wilde

dr e

Chrisvet said:

To the original poster:

What I'm saying is your right. Women in general are attention whores, and demand an incredible amount of personal catering.

Picture a "child's mind" in a womans body. Thats exactly what you have.

You might want to read the board rules at the top of the main page.  You have broken one of them by claiming above that women are in general attention whores.  If you want to lump all women or all men into negative generalizations I would urge you to simply not post here.  This is your first warning.

E
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

typhonblue

Hey, Dr. Evil, I believe I started it.

"the wimmins love attention."

Plus he *did* say "in general". Just my two cents.

Mr. Bad

Quote from: "Chrisvet"
To the original poster:

What I'm saying is your right.  Women in general are attention whores, and demand an incredible amount of personal catering.

Picture a "child's mind" in a womans body.  Thats exactly what you have.

Ah, you've hit upon what I've noticed after decades of experience.  Years and years ago, in the context of public health, healthcare, medical research, etc., feminazis used to bray that "women are not small men."  It was only after I matured and came to understand the kind of upper middle class, uber-PC women that populate academia that I realized that they were almost correct.  

I propose that for the sake of truth and accuracy, when describing women in academia the saying that women are not small men should be replaced by recognizing that these women act like big children.
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

Mr. Bad

Quote from: "typhonblue"
Hey, Dr. Evil, I believe I started it.

"the wimmins love attention."

Plus he *did* say "in general". Just my two cents.

Hey typhonblue, I just checked out your personal web-blurb.

You seem pretty cool.  And that from a graying old (mid-50s) MRA.  

Keep it up Sister!  :)
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

Roy

Dr. E. --
You have broken one of them by claiming above that women are in general attention whores.

Sorry, I'm totally confused.... (Yeah, I've been "warned" too!  :wink: )

The phrase "in general" very clearly implies that there are many exceptions to the rule, and so it does not grammatically or logically state an equivalent premise of "all women."

If, "in general" is a violation of the SYG code, what about "some," "many," "most," "a few," "occasional," "typically," and sundry expressions?

In fact, what about "sundry?" It implies many or most. With exceptions.

Are we really going to walk off this cliff of syntactical trivial pursuits?

Can I please get the complete and blessed vocabulary list (mostly adjectives) for correctly posting here?

I'm "entirely" (whoops... another violation) exasperated with it ALL.
(Oh, shit... backspace, delete, ESC key!)

But I'll give it one more try ---

Is the R-U-L-E that one cannot speak anything that can be implied as a categorical statement about  w-o-m-e-n?

Do we have any retired English teachers or existential grammaricians hereabouts?

(I made up that second job classification....)
It's a terrible thing ... living in fear." (Roy - hunted replicant. "Blade Runner.")

The Biscuit Queen

While women do seem to enjoy attention , they probably do not enjoy it any more than men. Men simply have been trained to give as opposed to receive. I wouldn't make sweeping statements about women's motivations when the causal factor is likely training, not intrinsic nature.

Women do  enjoy talking more than men in general. SO given the increased speach it is logical that she gets more airtime than he about  herself, and in fact about everything else.

Given a chance, most men would gladly talk about themselves. And if women were still taught to listen as well as speak, women would be much more likely to let them.

Unfortunately, girls are taught the "it's all about me" line. I do think it is getting worse. In the 50's women had been taught it is all about the man. Unfortunately they failed to stop in the 80's when it was fairly equal, and skidded into the 90's and beyond to where women rule the world.

BTW, what are we going to call this decade? The 80's, the 90's, the what?

It has been weighing heavily on my mind.

:?
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

dr e

The rule is meant to avoid gross negative generalizations about either gender like the traditional favorites "men are pigs" or  "women are whores".  Saying "Men, in general, are asswipes" would break the rule.  Saying "Women, in general, are attention whores" does the same sort of thing.  

Make sense?

The bottom line is that it often boils down to being a judgement call.  I call it.  If people don't like the way I call it,  you have the option to go somewhere else.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Go Up