Started by neoteny, Mar 24, 2005, 12:08 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

neoteny

Link to article

Sexual chill falls over Camp Borden
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 Updated at 8:12 PM EST

Canadian Press

CFB Borden, Ont. -- An HIV scare has created a sexual chill at an Ontario military base that cycles thousands of Canadian soldiers through its gates each year.

A woman who soldiers said is known for her promiscuity faces charges after allegedly engaging in unprotected sex without informing a partner that she was HIV-positive.

Although the charges stem from one alleged relationship, there were fears there could be many others.

Soldiers recall a woman making advances on several men at bars on the base and in the nearby Angus, Ont. area.

"She was a partier, to put it mildly," Pte. Trish Harnett told reporters on Wednesday.

One soldier told Global TV that two of his friends claim to have had sexual relations with the woman.

"We have indication that she may have frequented the barracks as well," said Petty Officer Ted Lee, who is leading the ongoing probe at CFB Borden, about two hours north of Toronto.

Soldiers who knew the accused said she arrived at the base in the middle of last month -- visiting friends. There were news reports that at one time her husband was assigned to the base, but that she made her recent return without him.

CFB Borden is mainly a training facility. Around 3,200 teaching and support staff are permanently posted at the base. Another 15,000 soldiers, sailors and air personnel rotate through every year as students.

After graduation, they are posted to other bases across the country.

"People come and go through here. Almost every trade in the armed forces is trained here, so it's very transient," Pte. Harnett said.

Military police received their first complaint on March 2. A suspect was arrested that day. An undisclosed number of other soldiers have since come forward.

The man who lodged the initial complaint is currently awaiting results of a blood test.

Officials said they wanted to get the word out.

"Essentially we are one small part of a bigger community and we want to ensure that for health and safety reasons that everybody in the community is aware," P.O. Lee told Global.

While public health officials recommend caution, they said there was no need to panic.

"It's not a high risk, and the risk would be slightly higher for women than it would be for men," Dr. Rita Shahin, of Toronto Public Health told Global.

She said experts consider the risk of contracting HIV during one act of sexual intercourse to be about 0.3 per cent.

But Pte. Eric Dastous told the station he feels fortunate he turned a proposal down when a woman approached him asking if he wanted to "party" with her.

"I was like -- instantly, right away -- it just kinda freaked me out," the young man told Global. "I thought it was a little weird."

He said there is a sense of anger on the base among soldiers who've heard about the charges.

"We were all pretty mad about it, when we heard about it," he said.

The arrest marks the first case of its kind in the Canadian forces, P.O. Lee said.

Jennifer Murphy, 31, made a brief court appearance in Barrie, Ont., Wednesday morning, facing two counts of aggravated assault. She was remanded to a Penetanguishene, Ont., facility pending her next court date.

Ms. Murphy is not a member of the Canadian forces, and will be tried in a civilian court.

---

One: what a fuckin' headline. Two: Dr. Rita Shahin a real sweetheart - NOT!
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

The Biscuit Queen

Canada has an army?  :shock:
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

neoteny

Quote from: "The Biscuit Queen"

Yes it does. As far as I know, it contains more desk cavalry (bureaucrats) than field personnel, but it exists...  :lol:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

CaptDMO

Quote from: "The Biscuit Queen"

(at great risk to my personal safty)
Ooo,............. that one might go over like a fart in church. Haven't you seen Michael Moores' early acclaimed scathing commentary work "Canadian Bacon"?
--------------------------

This account, if true,brings to mind an antecdotal account. A homosexual international flight attendant from Canada that shamelessly exposed multiple partners to the leathal disease he knew he had, proudly bragging after the fact "Look!,Gay cancer!" - showing the sores he had developed.

Other antecdotal accounts involved teenage girls and initiation for acceptance into U.S. street gangs. They would willingly perform assorted unprotected sex acts with several male gang members of likely positive HIV/AIDS-HepC  status.

Serendipitously, there's an uncloistered forum thread exploring the moral responsibility v. "rights" of people with HIV/AIDS on a forum (formerly hosted by a Canadian)where Individualist Feminism is discussed.

Be assured,(for your safty) there is much defense of 'logic of appropriate argument' over content.

The motives of those that may knowingly try to infect/expose as many others
as possible to HIV/AIDS are lightly touched upon.

Makes an interesting read.

Homosexual Blood Bath Tell 'em the Capt sent ya!  ;)

EDIT to add;
On The Other Hand-Assuming I profess a familiarity with firearms;
If someone casually known to me hands me a firearm, and does not specificly state "It"s loaded" , who's the ahole responsible for what happens next?

Alpha Male

Quote from: "CaptDMO"
On The Other Hand-Assuming I profess a familiarity with firearms;
If someone casually known to me hands me a firearm, and does not specificly state "It"s loaded" , who's the ahole responsible for what happens next?

ALWAYS assume it is loaded even if they tell you it is not until you verify it for yourself.
ies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

CaptDMO

Go Up