MSNBC article:"toxic relationships"...are all caus

Started by realman, Mar 24, 2005, 10:35 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

realman

Just found this article about "toxic relationships" involving controlling/manipulative people mildy annoying...is it just me or is it saying that "men manipulate/control women and women are the victims" ...as if to say that women would NEVER do such a thing as be manipulative and controlling? :roll:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7115340/

Galt

It's not just mildly annoying, it's strange.

She starts off with "Unfortunately, many women find themselves in an emotionally abusive or controlling relationship for quite some time before they are able to figure out what is happening." ... and then refers to the manipulating person as "he" throughout the article, although she tries to frame the whole thing in a general way.

I don't understand why this can't just be broadened to "people".  I don't know any sane person who would claim that being emotionally abusive or controlling is the sole territory of men.  In fact ... (well, I'll let the comment go that I was going to make - self-censorship).

Galt

This sounds like it's daytime TV, though, and the target audience there is women, so they have to present it from a woman's point of view.  I guess.

But I still find it odd that a female Dr. is biased enough to just think about things in terms of her own gender - which she very obviously does.  The triumph of women's studies over science, no matter what the field.

Alpha Male

This sounds like it's daytime TV, though, and the target audience there is women, so they have to present it from a woman's point of view. I guess.

Galt,
Do you remember the thread about flipping through the channels during daytime TV and noting what is on?
If you haven't tried this yet you should. Maybe on a day when you are home sick. It's revealing.
ies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

Galt

Quote from: "Alpha Male"
This sounds like it's daytime TV, though, and the target audience there is women, so they have to present it from a woman's point of view. I guess.

Galt,
Do you remember the thread about flipping through the channels during daytime TV and noting what is on?
If you haven't tried this yet you should. Maybe on a day when you are home sick. It's revealing.

I don't live in the US (although there is the same daytime crap - talkshows - now in Germany), but I was back in the US last December and saw "Dr. Phil", Oprah and some of the other nonsense.

It seems to me like it's hours and hours of feminist brainwashing - aimed at the gullible housewife or college student or unemployed person or whoever watches this stuff on a regular basis.

Coming back to "Dr. Phil", I wanted to put my shoe through the TV screen.  I hope I never see that guy somewhere - there'd probably be trouble.

Alpha Male

LOL.
I can see the headlines now.

Suspected German terrorist Galt of masculinist sleeper cell carries out vicious attack.
FTA criticized for allowing terrorist through airport security.
Senator Doe introduces legislation to strengthen the Patriot Act.
NOW claims Dr. Phil attacked for supporting women, ask for death sentence.
Jane Feminist reports women are victimized by Dr. Phil attack, ask for increased funding for groups who provide counseling to Dr. Phil attack victims.
ies come in three types: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

Go Up