Lifeline

Started by richard ford, Mar 31, 2005, 02:04 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

richard ford

Mankind (the UK men's charity) have created the first integrated domestic violence support project in Somerset, England. Up until now we have been able to offer telephone advice on how to deal with the authorities - but as outsiders. The authorities themselves were unwilling to listen to us.

In Somerset all this is beginning to change. Police are trained to recognise female abuse and understand why men get a raw deal. Emergency accommodation is available and social services are involved from the start.

The reason this is so exciting is that Somerset is the county where most Mankind activists are based. This seems to indicate that schemes similar to this could be set up anywhere where men can be bothered to rouse themselves. Already we see the beginnings of  this in Brighton where the first Mankind local group was set up.

Would you like to see something like this in your town?

Join Mankind!

In you are reading this in some country other than the UK then do a search and find your national group.

Wookie

Richard,

As I have said b4 I have been able to introduce your information in the area that I work, and will be joining up soon.

I would love to get something started in this area (South Shropshire) but have not been well the last year and I am waiting untill I feel a little stronger to take on the task maybe that is something that I could do with the support of Mankind - It is very hard to be a loan ranger on these types of things, especially when you, yourself are not feeling the strongest.

The thing is, is that it is something I feel very strongly about and would love to contribute to the understanding, awareness and support.

I have never been a victim myself (although one of my X's did give me a square smack right in the mush during an arguement once).

Anyway, I hope to become a member and make a contribution to the cause in the very near future.

Wookie
he Light That Burns Twice As Bright Burns Half As Long - Blade Runner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

blackmanx

I  would   love   to  join  ManKind  but  I  live  in  Boston,  Massachusetts.    I go to  school   there  in   everything.   I  appreciate  what  they  do.   I  do  my  own  activism  here.   I  hand  out  flyers  with   information  aimed  at  helping  MALE  victims  of  domestic   violence.  I've  started  doing  that   awhile  ago  and  intend  to  do  some   work   for   DAHM.   The  person  who  runs  it   has  personally  helped  me.    Mankind   seems  like   an  exciting  opportunity.   Go  ManKind  !!!!!
y book, Men's Rights Activists.

http://www.lulu.com/content/418976

richard ford

Blackmanx

We all know and respect what you are doing in your own country. You have inspired me to get my own arse in gear to a great extent.

Wookie,

As a matter of fact there IS a group planned in Shropshire. I hope you are able to join it when you feel stronger.

Yes. Trying to confront a problem like this on your own is difficult. You can end up emotionaly exausted very easily. Perhaps you would consider joining Manlind nationaly which will place you on a mailing list when things go local in your area. You might make them happen that much sooner!!

By the way - if you were punched in the face by a former girlfriend then I would say that you most certainly were a victim of domestic violence. It is quite amazing what seems normal when you are in a bad relationsip. I am glad you got out.

If you would ever like to talk then please give me a PM. Best wishes.

Wookie

Great that a group may be opening up here, I will get my ass into gear and become a member and hopefully I will then be able to help out in some way, I work in a CVS (council of voluntary services) where i am responcible for recruitment and training of volunteers and volunteer co-ordinators for many charities in this area and lot of other duties in helping local groups, I may also be able to help outside of work in a voluntary capacity.

As to my incident of DV, it reallly has never had an effect on me, I continued in a happy relationship with her for a year after, we were both very drunk that night i was being a real asshole (no excuse for her behavour I know) but the next day we sat down discussed it, I appoligised for my behavour and explained that if she ever did anything like that again I was gone, she was very upset about what had happened and nothing like that ever happend again. It was over 6 years ago now.

We were both under exteam pressure at the time, I was having to leave and move over 200 mile away and neither of us could handle losing each other and it just got on top of us. (sometimes its true that you hurt the ones you love!)

but thanks for your kind words and other of support.

Wookie

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill

richard ford

The CVS angle sounds very exciting to me. When you join please mention this to them.

Local groups tend to be formed for a particular reason. There may be a housing association that is willing to help battered men or there may be a domestic violence unit copper who is particularly inteligent. It sounds as if you have access to all sorts of information and contacts that other people do not have. I have high hopes now I know what you do.

Best wishes.

LSBeene

Blackmanx,

I am originally from Mass.  (the Army tends to move you around, lol).  I lived in Natick.

Where are you going to school?

Steven
'Watch our backs at home, we'll guard the wall over here. You can sleep safe tonight, we'll guard the door."

Isaiah 6:8
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

blackmanx

Bay  State   College
y book, Men's Rights Activists.

http://www.lulu.com/content/418976

Wookie

Richard,

I should be able to help in some way, our organisation (which is a charity itself) is here to help local groups, especially new groups set up and establish in this area so any help we can be we will be more than willing to assist. I am the only guy that works here but the women I work with are understanding of the issues, I have made sure of that and our local DV partnership are aware of male DV and have discussed what they can do, the are not overly receptive, still saying things like "resources are limtied we need to help those most at need" ie women but the are open to discussion and work in this area.

I will be as much help as I can be in both my work and personal voluntary capacity.

I am based in the South Shropshire District but will also be able to give you help and contacts for the rest of the county as we are part of a CVS partnership thats all about joint up working across shropshire.

I hope to be in contact in the future, feel free to email me.

Wookie

John Stuart Mill

richard ford

The best thing you could do is contact the Mankind office http://www.mankind.org.uk and tell them this. They have a part time groups start up person and I am sure he is in corrispondence with all sorts of people I am not even aware of.

It may be that there is now suficient support to start a local group tomorrow - but I cannot tell from where I am right now.

Best wishes

Wookie

I will get onto it.

Wookie

John Stuart Mill

richard ford

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Go Up