Men on the verge

Started by blackmanx, Jun 25, 2005, 02:53 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

The Biscuit Queen

Well, keep in mind that feminism has existed for quite a long time and has attained many of the rights I mentioned and other opportunities that shows feminism wasn't a complete failure as some of you suggest.

Feminism is a complete failure because it's original goal, equality, has not been met. It had been met before it started, and now we have a female dominated society, kept that way under the guise of a patriarchy.

Also know that just because most or all rights are gained doesn't mean sexist attitudes don't continue to prevail, look at racism.

Lets not, i would like to stay on topic. It is a punishable offence to be overheard saying anything negative about women, but it is comedy to say anything negative about men. Yes, sexism does continue to prevail, just not against women as you seem to think.

There are ways women are discriminated against in recent times in america such as unfair hiring and promotion practices. Woman of child bearing age are screened and reluctantly hired because of companies wanting to avoid maternity leave costs.

It makes sense. Pregnancy is the only disability which not only is done outside the workplac but is premeditated (warren farrell.) Pregnancy forces a company to spend (tens of) thousands of dollars for a choice a worker makes.  That is not sexism, that is reality.

Women are also promoted less often to executive positions and are often paid less for the same type of work.

This is misleading. An example, my mother is Dean of Workforce and Development at a college in VA. She was offered the Vice Presidency, but turned it down. Why? "It was too much work!" You cannot blame sexism for women's choices. Being in executive positions means more hours, more responsibility, less job security. Women value their time and security more than power and money. Again, you cannot blame sexim for women's choices.

And finally, if you factor in time spent at work, education, expirience, etc, women actually make more money than men at any specific job. Men as I said above are willing to put in more hours, make more sacrifices, not take time off for kids, take more risks, thus get paid more. Once again, you cannot blame sexism for women's choices.

I know some people may disagree but when you look at the practices in lots of companies from past to present, most shared these attitudes and still do.

Yes, many women do less work yet assume they should make as much as harder working men-I would think that doing so would not earn respect at work. Again, women's choices.

Women are also relegated to lower skilled positions which often hinder career development.

Not relegated, chosen. Those lower skilled positions are safer, allow more free time, and less accountability. Again, women's choices.

Some get past that "glass ceiling" but most will maintain that same underpaid position forever especially when race is factored in.

Bullshit. Quite with the race card here. One subject at a time. As I said above, women are not underpaid. That is illegal. Women's choices.

Women are still expected to behave in a manner that is socially agreeable to gain respect and not based on who they are individually and women are expected to perform certain domestic duties and and have the characterics society says it values in a women and not her own strengths and weakness.

Whoa, run on sentance alert!  Men too have to behave in socially acceptable ways to get ahead. That means being willing to sacrifice himself for wife, children, company, country.

Domestic duties? Yes, since full time women work on average 10 hours a week less than full time men, not including the longer commutes of men, then yes, women can manage the housework in most cases. Oh, and speaking of housework, men are expected to perform home maintanance, car mainanance, lawn care, heavy lifting,  and distasteful jobs around the house. Are you remembering to factor those in?

Double standards regarding sexuality are still socially enforced and men are also expected to behave a certain way as well so I'm not saying it doesn't go both ways.

Yes. We finally agree on something.

So sexism still exists, it just takes on different forms and intensity. The goal of feminism is to end sexism but it is not the only issue that our community faces nor is it the only issue feminists are concerned with. Most forms of prejudice work hand and hand perpetuating eachother.

Yes, feminism works hand in hand to promote the interests of women and hold men down. We fight hard here to break that cycle. We are learning from the past mistakes of others, that equality means fighting for BOTH sexes when inequity is seen. This is why SYG has ground rules not allowing female bashing OR male bashing. I have not seen any sexism in my life towards women in this country that I could not prove otherwise (I took a mechanics course and was accepted after I showed I could do the job. I can live with that.

Just my view ofcourse

We are all allowed our views.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

TheManOnTheStreet

"anti-feminism rhetoric"

Bah!  The only rhetoric I see is the feminist/racial slants you appear to put in every post you make.

But what do I know, I am just an opressive male whitey... right?

BTW: Nice response BQ.

Al
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

justsomeguyuknow

This is exactly where you go when you try to reason with the self righteous self absorbed and self centered female of today...no where...

-A woman's promises are written in water-

The Biscuit Queen

deja vous
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

CaptDMO

Quote from: "The Biscuit Queen"
deja vous

;) LOL (well, chuckling actually)

richard ford

Hey you guys.

Why do you alow idiot trolls to hijack the conversation like this?

Ignore her or ban her.

Windy

Quote from: "Mater Domina"[/quote

Well, the rights women are trying to establish depends on the times.  In the past, women tried to gets rights not to be buried alive with their husbands when he died, to be heard in government and be a real citizen, the right to vote, the right to get equal pay and not be descriminated against based on sex, the right for equal opportunity in education and promotion practices and many other rights feminists sought to gain.  Ofcourse times has changes and outright archaic displays of sexism is socially disgareeable but the prescribed charcteristics for each sex are very much still ineffect and are actually rewarded.

Were you there , Can you prove the things you say ?
Feminist propaganda comes in all shapes and sizes I think your post proves it .
Men take no notice of fem guilt trips... we are not interested . :elkgrin:

Malakas

Just came across this thread - a golden oldie.
You were all so patient with the semi-literate troll - well, Al wasn't but at least he replied :)
The Biscuit Queen even tried some reasoned argument with a personal touch (which is her forte).
And the result was zilch. Mater Domina (fancy title - Puella Vulgaris would be more appropriate) just kept playing the same broken record until she had no more ammunition. Perhaps N.O.W. HQ were too stretched to send reinforcements.

Seriously, the lesson is that there's not much mileage in fighting on this front. Forgive the military analogies because it's a war of sorts. Whether you wage war or play chess there's a link. Chess can't draw on emotion. Real wars, including gender wars, can and do. Nevertheless these little skirmishes are good practice for thinking men and women.

No smart player would sacrifice a (Biscuit)Queen to gain a pawn.
'm an asylum seeker. Don't send me back.

TheManOnTheStreet

hehehe  I have little patience with this sort of crap.  And I don't hide it that I don't either.  I do try to be respectful until I get none in return, then all bets are off.

I'm like an abused Pit Bull Terrier.  I'll lick your face when respected, and bite your effin throat if not.

When someone goes off on the tired old song that women were oppressed as much or worse than African Americans, I get pretty ticked off.  Nowhere in history were women killed essentially for sport like blacks were.  Women were never treated with less respect and dignity than a freakin animal.  Not even a remote comparison, IMO.  

I am not proud of some parts of our history, but it is just that, history.  We should never forget about some of the atrocities, but we shouldn't dwell upon them either.  

:-)

Now Jen, E, the two Knights, the Capt and a few others.... Shoot they have more patience than most.  As a matter of fact, they probably have enough for all of us with a little sumptin-sumptin left over!

Malakas

Yes Al, sure is a tired old song.

My great and great-great grandfathers worked in mines to support their families. 'Great-great' died in an accident, 'great' died of 'miners lung' - in his thirties. My grandfather was given special leave during WWI to come home from France and marry my grandmother who was already pregnant - two weeks and then back to the trenches. In WWII, my father got back from fighting the Japanese in Burma to find that my mother had borne a child by another man while he was away.

I come from a long line of patriarchal oppressors.

What really p*sses me off about this oppression garbage is that it generally comes from some pampered and priveleged princess who's never known hardship in her life.  :evil:

We pay our young housemaid around $25 dollars a month, which is the going rate. She's perfectly content because she's got a roof over her head, a full stomach and somebody to buy medicine if she gets sick. Plus she gets to watch tv in the evenings. One could say she's oppressed but in that case why does she smile all the time?  And BTW she sends the money back to her family in the mountains so her little brothers can go to school.

Meanwhile princess over there is prattling on about her 'glass ceiling' and saying stupid things like
Women are still expected to behave in a manner that is socially agreeable to gain respect
- it must be torture for her.

I'm glad you guys briefly took her on because I wouldn't know where to start. Since reason seemed ineffective Pit Bull mode is probably a good tactic!  :)
'm an asylum seeker. Don't send me back.

TheManOnTheStreet

I feel that the contrast of personalities here is great as well.  You have the 'pit bull' style from some (including me) and the reasoning types (Jen, E etal).  Between the two, we usually end up "winning".  

By winning, I mean the arguments.  As they tend to get to that point.  They may start out as an honest exchange if ideas and opinions, but inevitably, they get into the arguing stage wheras someone has to loose.  Thankfully, the reasoning types tend to keep their cool and the facts stand on their own, thus shutting down folks that are here only to tell us how wrong we are.

Anywhooooo

Al

Go Up