"Why 'imaginary voices' are male "

Started by bukowski, Jul 13, 2005, 05:53 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

bukowski

"The reason these voices are usually male could be explained by the fact that the female voice is so much more complex that the brain would find it much harder to create a false female voice accurately than a false male voice," he says.

Such imaginary voices are typically likely to be middle-aged and carry "derogatory" messages. .................

..................."The female voice is more complex than the male voice, due to differences in the size and shape of the vocal cords and larynx between women and men, and also due to women having greater natural 'melody' in their voices. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4675103.stm

I've always wondered why most of the voices in my head were men....

Sir Farts-A-Lot

hmmmm.... no wonder crazy people hear mens voices. they are easier to make. but there is some truth to it. all my friends sound alike
quote="CaptDMO"]As history has shown us, power is NEVER bestowed, it's taken and defended. "Empowerment" is merely a bone, thrown to appease the rabble. [/quote]

Mr. Nickle

If women's voices are more complex (read: superior) why are they always bitching about their voices being "drowned out" by vastly inferior male voices?

Seems like another way to blame bad female behaviour on men.

"It's not my fault. The voices in my head told me to do it. Male voices." :D
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

Sir Jessy of Anti

Funny Mr. N.  I have to wonder who the f%$k cares about people who hear voices in their heads as if they are the norm, or those who report it as such.  Other then that, perhaps as a non-voice-in-my-head person I am not the norm.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

Sir Jessy of Anti

I also wonder if these tests included visual factors.  They say female voices activate different parts of the brain but they do not tell us if these MRI scans were conducted with darkness and headphones.  For example, if conducted otherwise, stimuli would go unaccounted for.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

realman

"If women's voices are more complex (read: superior) why are they always bitching about their voices being "drowned out" by vastly inferior male voices?"

yeah, like that study that said that in male/female conversations, men did the majority of the "interrupting" (how rude!!!). But can I see a show of hands how many men have ever had to "rudely interrupt" just to get a few words in here and there?? I rest my case...

TestSubject

Well, I admit I'm skeptical of the research as well.  Perhaps we could conclude from this that most of us who hear voices hear male ones because men were naturally meant to be our guides and directors?

Sorry, I dream too much.

MacKenzie

So...

Does this study imply that God is an imaginary voice?

Certainly sounds like it.  :roll:
FEMINISM IS A CULT THAT TRIES TO MAKE BOTH SEXES EQUAL BY FOCUSING SOLELY ON ONE OF THEM

fezzik

Fascinating. What was the empirical measure for 'greater natural melody' in women's voices?

Without seeing the research, my guess would be that the've determined that hearing imaginary voices resembles hearing male voices more than it does hearing female voices, and then either they or the journalist made the reasons up out of fantasy and whole cloth.

They could just has easily have concluded that male voices are more similar as they carry more authority, had they felt like throwing the bias the other direction.
Are you a man?', that's what she asked, as if I were wearing a man mask. -- Sean Altman

Sir Percy

This isn't science. It isn't even worthy of being called research. It is speculative nonesense.

I have imaginary voices too. They are male and female. There's even a dog sometimes. A singing dog at that who sometimes sings in Latin! So according to these Dr psycobabbler  folk at whatever Uniasylum they spend their lunch money at, I must have a vastly superior brain. That's their logic, not mine.

One of my voices is saying " %$#*((&^^!".   Might be something lost in the translation but its beautifully harmonic. I wonder what they can make of that.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

Mr. Nickle

To quote Ralph Wiggim:

"This is my sandbox. Im not allowed in the deep end, thats where I met the Lepracahn, he told me to burn things"

:laugh2:
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

Go Up