SYG Database

Started by typhonblue, Sep 15, 2005, 12:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Western Society is...

A patriarchy and that's a good thing. The only problem is feminism.
0 (0%)
A matriarchy and that's a good thing.
0 (0%)
A patriarchy and that's a bad thing. Should be egalitarian.
0 (0%)
A matriarchy and that's a bad thing. Should be egalitarian.
11 (64.7%)
Niether matriarchy nor patriarchy but should be a patriarchy.
1 (5.9%)
Niether matriarchy nor patriarchy but should be a matriarchy.
0 (0%)
Neither matriarchy nor patriarchy and that's the way it should be.
2 (11.8%)
A patriarchy and that's a bad thing. Should be a matriarchy.
0 (0%)
A matriarchy and that's a bad thing. Should be a patriarchy.
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: Sep 15, 2005, 12:04 PM

Go Down

typhonblue

Just thought I'd add a poll to this thread.

BTW, I've been talking to Dr. Evil about creating a database for this site.

We'd need some catagories of significant disadvantage faced by men in our society.

For instance:

*Maternal Gatekeeping

*Family Law

*Domestic Violence

*Anti-Male Advertising

*Stranger Violence

*Criminal Sentencing

I've also got a few that people here may or may not agree with:

*Male Friendship

*Female Stereoarchies*

I'm thinking of having stickies in the main forum for each catagory, so that every one here can submit articles, personal accounts, example text and visuals, etc. They'll be reviewed for inclusion in the database.

*Yeah I made it up, but I'm trying to figure out a word that describes the process of stereotypes being used as way of destroying or maintaining social power.

Darth Sidious

I chose the last option, because I think it accurately describes society as it is and how society needs to progress.

Sir Jessy of Anti

I'd like to see a database of feminists first.  We can list name, occupation, disciminatory measures supported or originated, include discriminatory quotes from said person(s), news articles that mention the person and other contexual references.  Then when we want to search the DB for a particular person we can pull up their 'dossier'.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand<br /><br />

Darth Sidious

Quote from: "Sir Jessy of Anti"
I'd like to see a database of feminists first.  We can list name, occupation, disciminatory measures supported or originated, include discriminatory quotes from said person(s), news articles that mention the person and other contexual references.  Then when we want to search the DB for a particular person we can pull up their 'dossier'.

Good idea. :D

lkanneg

Can you describe a bit about what you mean by male friendship as a significant disadvantage to men in society?
quot;Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

"Something which we think is impossible now is not impossible in another decade."
-- Constance Baker Motley

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."
--Janis Joplin

Mr. Bad

Quote from: "typhonblue"
Just thought I'd add a poll to this thread.

BTW, I've been talking to Dr. Evil about creating a database for this site.

We'd need some catagories of significant disadvantage faced by men in our society.

For instance:

*Maternal Gatekeeping

*Family Law

*Domestic Violence

*Anti-Male Advertising

*Stranger Violence

*Criminal Sentencing

I've also got a few that people here may or may not agree with:

*Male Friendship

*Female Stereoarchies*

I'm thinking of having stickies in the main forum for each catagory, so that every one here can submit articles, personal accounts, example text and visuals, etc. They'll be reviewed for inclusion in the database.

*Yeah I made it up, but I'm trying to figure out a word that describes the process of stereotypes being used as way of destroying or maintaining social power.

I would add (just to name a few more):

*Morbidity and Mortality

*Workplace Saftey

*Educational Disparities

*Hostile Environment

*Disparities in Funding for Social and Other Programs/Transfer of Wealth Issues
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

typhonblue

Quote from: "lkanneg"
Can you describe a bit about what you mean by male friendship as a significant disadvantage to men in society?

What I mean is that friendship for men experiences more social preasure and is harder to maintain then friendship for women.

And before Pink Gender gets on my case... I base this on research presented in various books and articles on friendship.

Particularly Men's Friendships edited by Peter M. Nardi.

slayton

Quote from: "Sir Jessy of Anti"

I nominate Hillary Rodham Clinton, Senator from New York. Quote: "Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known. Women are often the refugees from conflict and sometimes, more frequently in today's warfare, victims."
(First Ladies' Conference on Domestic Violence, 1998).

typhonblue

Bump.

I was hoping for a bit more discussion people!

lkanneg

What I mean is that friendship for men experiences more social pressure and is harder to maintain then friendship for women. .

Do you think women have anything to do with this dynamic in men's friendship?  (which I haven't noticed, but then, I also haven't been heavily involved ever in a friendship between two men)
--Eleanor Roosevelt

"Something which we think is impossible now is not impossible in another decade."

--Janis Joplin

typhonblue

Do you think women have anything to do with this dynamic in men's friendship?  (which I haven't noticed, but then, I also haven't been heavily involved ever in a friendship between two men)

Yes.

A few weeks ago I was watching a Dr. Phil show.

A man wanted to continue having a relationship with his friends (among his other non-wife focused activities).

He was advised to abandon his friends and in exchange his wife would stop nagging him about abandoning his friends.

Studies on this phenoma can be found in Men's Friendships. Men do sacrifice their friendships with other men when they gain a wife, co-habitor or girlfriend. Not so for most women.

lkanneg

A few weeks ago I was watching a Dr. Phil show.

A man wanted to continue having a relationship with his friends (among his other non-wife focused activities).

He was advised to abandon his friends and in exchange his wife would stop nagging him about abandoning his friends.

Studies on this phenoma can be found in Men's Friendships. Men do sacrifice their friendships with other men when they gain a wife, co-habitor or girlfriend. Not so for most women.

Not to sound like a cultural moron, but who is Dr. Phil?  (I almost never watch TV so if he's a TV personality, that's probably why I've never heard of him.)

I think it's very peculiar to be advised to abandon your friends.  I have seen something of this phenomena...a man gets married, suddenly it's like pulling teeth for him to be able to hang out with his buddies...but I've observed other factors to it beyond simply his wife's desire to be attached to him at the hip (though I've observed that one as well).
--Eleanor Roosevelt

--Janis Joplin

Mr. Nickle

:shock:

If you're so out of touch with mainstream trivia like who Dr. Phil is that may explain why you don't seem to have much knowledge about a broad range of subjects.

Let's see if I can explain. Dr. Phil is a white, male Oprah. She made him famous. You do know who Oprah is, don't you?
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

typhonblue

* Spending Gap

* Misandry in Media
>>> Songs
>>> TV shows
>>> Movies
>>> Radio
>>> Print(text and photo)

lkanneg

Quote from: "Mr. Nickle"
:shock:

If you're so out of touch with mainstream trivia like who Dr. Phil is that may explain why you don't seem to have much knowledge about a broad range of subjects.

Let's see if I can explain. Dr. Phil is a white, male Oprah. She made him famous. You do know who Oprah is, don't you?

Can't miss her! she has her own magazine in the checkout stand at the grocery store and tragically, I do go *there* on a regular basis.  However... :oops: ...I have never watched her show.  Ever.  Not even once.  Seriously, all I ever watch is the Cartoon Network and that's not really because I'm into it.  ;)
--Eleanor Roosevelt

--Janis Joplin

Go Up