RADAR ALERT: Disabled Boys Ineligible for VAWA Services

Started by RADAR, Oct 03, 2005, 12:02 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

RADAR

RADAR ALERT: Mr. Specter, Why are Disabled Boys Ineligible for VAWA Services?

Section 1402 of the Senate version of VAWA states how the funds will be used:

(b) USE OF FUNDS- Grants awarded under this section shall be used--
`(1) to provide personnel, training, technical assistance, advocacy, intervention, risk reduction and prevention of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and sexual assault against disabled women and girls;

Note that disabled women and girls qualify, but apparently not disabled boys or men. This is simply outrageous.

As chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and an original co-sponsor of the Violence Against Women Act, Senator Specter has the power to remove this discriminatory language.

This is what we are asking him to do:

1. Remove specific references to women and girls (like in Section 1402) to make the language gender-neutral.
  2. Add clear and explicit language clarifying that male DV victims are entitled to service. The Senate bill currently has male-inclusive language, but we want to make it much stronger.

This is how to contact Senator Specter's office:

Fax (the most effective strategy): 202-228-1229
Telephone: 202-224-4254
E-mail: http://specter.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactInfo.Home - be sure to put the words "Make VAWA Male-Inclusive" into the subject line.

It is essential get your message through as many times as possible. As always, keep your message short and sweet.

And PLEASE stay "On-Message." It is true that there are many problems with VAWA. But if everyone complains about their particular issue, we will end up canceling each other out. At this point in time, the most important thing is to make VAWA male-inclusive. That will get us a seat at the table.

We've come too far and worked too hard to dilute our focus. Please stay On-Message.

VAWA may go to the Senate floor for a vote later this week. Then it will go to the Senate-House Conference Committee to work out the differences in the Senate and House bills.

You can be sure our opponents will be pressuring Congress to get VAWA approved this week. We need to work very, very hard to match their efforts, fax by fax, phone call by phone call, and e-mail by e-mail.

Let's roll.

---
Date of RADAR Release: October 1, 2005

To track the current status of VAWA, go to http://thomas.loc.gov and enter the bill number: Senate bill S. 1197; House of Representatives bill H.R. 3402.

Respecting Accuracy in Domestic Abuse Reporting (RADAR) is a coalition of men and women working to assure balance in the domestic violence issue: http://www.mediaradar.org.

Constantine

Mater Domina

Thats sad, they should let the boy in if he has been raped, molested, or if he's disabled which is what the company's focus is anyway.  Men should be allowed the grants too but only if its under what the company does already, stalking, rape, murder, domestic violence ect.
f you loved yourself truely, you would love your brothers and sisters just as earnestly.

Quentin0352

that would require women be held to the law. So far my experience is that stalking, threats, telephone harassment and etc are legal for women against men while men go to jail for those crimes..

jotty

If this act was written for girls and women why is it outrageous that it addresses only them? If there is a need for a VAMA then instead of attacking women work towards establishing one for guys.  Doesnt that seem to make better sense than attacking and complaining?

The language is not discriminatory. The act is for women and girls. It could only be considered discriminatory if men were disallowed  establishing their own domestic violence bill. And no, specter cannot remove language from whatever he feels like.

Whats next, refseing to let womens photos appear in meia outlets and making them wear burqas and paining the windows on their homes? Remove references to women and girls? Make the language gender-neutral. I'm all for gender neutral because as it is the default in language is he, his, man. Women simply do not factor in. Dont believe me? Go get a book and give it a peruse, he, him, his, he, he, he.

What strife is it exactly that you have worked so hard to over come? Tell me, i'm curious. I mean women could not vote until 1920, they fought 80 years for that right and numerous of those women fighters were imprisoned for doing nothing more than fighting to be treated like humans. They did nothing more than strive to remove their enforced humiliation.

You do not know anything about fighting for your rights.

dr e

Perhaps you could tell us about how and when men got the vote also?  

Hey laws that helped only white people to ride buses and get special water fountains woudn't be discriminatory since they were just there to help the whites and didn't keep the blacks for getting their own laws to create their own buses and water fountains, right?  lol
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

CaptDMO

So who's going to direct the sophmore to the debuking room?
It's not polite to bat them around as a cat does to a wounded mouse.

I see statements like this and I think..."I've got a paper to write, tell me everything about MRA/F4J ."
and the inevitable "Whyyyyy?....but whyyyyy?.......but whyyyyy?......"

I commend you Dr..  If you have the patience to unveil the basics and
pose antithisis. You are the far better man in this.

Personally, I dont have the fortitude to do so. This is why I'm not in the elementery teaching industry. Nor do I profess to second or third tier
students on the subject of "social studies"

The most I'm willing to do here is basics, and determine the suitability for the applicants further educatiion at this level.

jotty
What is your curriculum vitae?
Show me some of your previous work.
Examine the following and comment on each.

Tribes Bill Whittle

Men Going Their own  Way Ragnar

A Mens and Fathers Manifesto Gonzman

You've Got Male L. Tiger

Fidelbogen

If this act was written for girls and women why is it outrageous that it addresses only them? If there is a need for a VAMA then instead of attacking women work towards establishing one for guys. Doesnt that seem to make better sense than attacking and complaining?

The language is not discriminatory. The act is for women and girls. It could only be considered discriminatory if men were disallowed establishing their own domestic violence bill. And no, specter cannot remove language from whatever he feels like.

I would advocate the passage of an act called VIRA (violence in intimate relations act). The language in this more inclusive act would be gender-neutral, meaning that whoever needed help would get it. I think that having both a VAWA and a VAMA would result in unnecessary duplication of functions, waste of taxpayers' money, proliferation of bureaucracy, and a growth of gender polarization.

Do you fundamentally agree or disagree with the position I have stated above? If you disagree, on what grounds do you do so?

Do you feel that unnecessary duplication of functions is a desireable thing, or an undesireable thing? Please expand upon the reasoning which underlies your response.

Do you feel that waste of taxpayers' money is a desireable thing, or an undesireable thing? Please expand upon the reasoning which underlies your response.

Do you feel that the proliferation of bureaucracy is a desireable thing, or an undesireable thing? Please expand upon the reasoning which underlies your response.

Do you feel that the growth of gender polarization is a desireable thing, or an undesireable thing? Please expand upon the reasoning which underlies your response.

I thank you.

Rob

Jotty,

You wrote: "You do not know anything about fighting for your rights."

Jotty, thanks for the laugh, perhaps you can expand on your 80 years of campaigning to get the vote. Or can you give us a detailed list of the bras you burned? (Men liked that whole bra burning idea, by the way)

Get real! Talk about being a victim of your own making. I laugh everytime I hear this BS line.

But hey, I still have mustard gas flashbacks from the Great War, so who am I to talk.

Fidelbogen

Rob writes:
But hey, I still have mustard gas flashbacks from the Great War, so who am I to talk.

Thank you kindly Rob, for sharing your old soldier's memories. :wink:  
That puts me in mind of something.....

Jotty, are you familiar with the "white feather" campaign that took place in Great Britain during the WWI years? It's a very interesting historical episode, and you as a feminist would find it especially worth knowing about....

jotty

"Show me some of your previous work.
Examine the following and comment on each."

Now that is rather odd. I was not aware I had said anthing to indicate I had a body of work.

Homework? Gosh, you are already giving me homework!
I really do not have any interest left at this point in discussing or refuting anything you have said. It just isnt worth it to me.

And if you believe you have batted me around like a mouse thats alright, you are entitled to your opinions.

Out of respect to you and this forum I am going to move on a leave what is your space to you. I should not have horned in. I do mean that sincerely.

dr e

Why not stick around and teach what you know or maybe even learn some things from some of the folks here?  Or maybe you just can't handle having your pet beliefs called into question?  If so, you are right to move on because we would be asking lots of questions.  

Most of us have gotten used to the idea that feminism cannot stand open scrutiny and basically yawn when someone comes here and flashes a few bigoted ideas and then leaves.  It is par for the course.  That's the way feminists seem to do things these days.  My guess is that they will have fewer and fewer places to go to spout their hatefulness and will be getting greater and greater shame as more people learn of the inherent misandry of feminism.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Quentin0352

Strange you talk about fighting for rights. So, how many women have died serving in the military fighting for those rights compared to men? After all, the way you state things, men haven't fought for any rights it is women that did all the fighting.

Care to expand on this theory and explain the conspiracy that says women did all this fighting but the graves are labeled wrong to show it as men in stead to help oppress women more?

CaptDMO

Quote from: "jotty"
Out of respect to you and this forum I am going to move on a leave what is your space to you. I should not have horned in. I do mean that sincerely.

Before you go-
What brought you here in the first place?
What were you looking for ?
Where will you now go to seek it?

TheManOnTheStreet

Awwwww another one bites the dust.... Just when I was about to understand the err of my ways.....

Why must we chase these wonderful edumacated wymin away?  Maybe Dr E should make a new rule.  "Men shut up and listen to the edumacated wymin!"

Ahem....

Al
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Go Up