I've Just been Banned from iFeminists

Started by typhonblue, Oct 07, 2005, 12:42 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

typhonblue

BQ, unless I'm using a completely out-to-lunch definition of cross-posting...

You actually have to *link* from one board to another board in order to cross post. I believe the term comes from usenet abuse such as cross posting a trolling message like "I hate fat people" to both alt.fat-acceptance and alt.fitness... or something like that.  

I've never linked to SYG from ifem, nor have I linked to ifem from SYG.

Naming or discussing another board is not cross posting. If it was, Wendy would guilty of it too since I have seen her hold up SYG as an example of "men vs. women gone too far" many times.

BTW, the topic wasn't banned *I* was banned. I didn't expect it to end up becoming such an involved issue on SYG. I just wanted to have a place to set the record straight in regards to Wendy's accusations of cross-posting. And since she accused me of crossposting *at* SYG, I thought here would be a good place to set the record straight.

I haven't ever cross posted in regards to ifeminism and SYG.

Mr. X

Quote from: "Gonzokid"
If it "damages" IFBB, it begs the question "Why? Are they ashamed of what is done or said there?" SYG gets quoted all the time. MND gets referenced. Neither Doc Evil or me gets our BVDs in a knot when it is - but then again, we have nothing to be ashamed of how we run our respective BBs.

There is actually a reasonable explanation for this. Wendy writes national columns that some groups do not like. They have, in the past, gone to the BB and misquoted posts to try and claim Wendy was a pedophile, endorsed baby murders, selling of children, supporter of muslim lifestyles that hurt women etc. Usually its in the form of a bait topic that someone starts to get reponses so they can say "See McElroy is a bad person. Look at the evil people on her board.".

Do the SYG moderators actually post articles anywhere? If so then the board can become a liablity. It doesn't take much for someone to misquote or take some lame person's post out of context to show that the board owners are bad people.

As for the board, it is what it is and maybe this topic needs to die off. If you don't like her board then don't go there. But I think, with her articles and writings, is a good resource to MRA's. I'd rather have someone helping than someone hurting.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

slayton

Mr. X, I have much respect for you (as a poster).

However, can you please explain, how

Quote from: "Mr. X"
There is actually a reasonable explanation for this. Wendy writes national columns that some groups do not like. They have, in the past, gone to the BB and misquoted posts to try and claim Wendy was a pedophile, endorsed baby murders, selling of children, supporter of muslim lifestyles that hurt women etc. Usually its in the form of a bait topic that someone starts to get reponses so they can say "See McElroy is a bad person. Look at the evil people on her board.".

this applies to SYG and all it's members? Where has on this board been claimed (by even one single member) that she is a pedophile and all those other awful things????? I simply fail to see what made her think that all members of this forum are against her and only want to sabotage her, threaten her, destroy her??? WTF?!!?!? What happened to No 1. rule "Don't make sweeping generalizations"??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If you don't like her board then don't go there..

As of today, this really isn't much of a real choice, now is it? All I can read there now is the "Site News and Administration" thread.

dr e

I don't have a problem with our members coming here and saying that they have been banned from another board.  I don't mind people being upset about that.  That's the way it goes.  If they break the rules here  in the process then they will suffer the consequences.  I have yet to see anyone break any rules here BQ and if you have seen that please point it out to me.  

I don't think this is simply an issue with Typhon and Ifem.  It may have started that way but the finger pointing from their board admins to our entire community as if we have somehow caused their difficulties changed things dramatically.  Now it is no longer just one poster saying things about what happened.  It is a board admin claiming that another board is the culprit for their troubles.  I still can't believe that someone would make such a claim without some sort of evidence.  Then to start banning people willy-nilly if they had participated at SYG is taking it another step into the twilight zone.  Frankly this entire incident is pretty bizarre.  Someone seems to be having a rough go.  

And so it goes.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Darth Sidious

Quote from: "Dr Evil"
I don't have a problem with our members coming here and saying that they have been banned from another board.  I don't mind people being upset about that.  That's the way it goes.  If they break the rules here  in the process then they will suffer the consequences.  I have yet to see anyone break any rules here BQ and if you have seen that please point it out to me.  

I don't think this is simply an issue with Typhon and Ifem.  It may have started that way but the finger pointing from their board admins to our entire community as if we have somehow caused their difficulties changed things dramatically.  Now it is no longer just one poster saying things about what happened.  It is a board admin claiming that another board is the culprit for their troubles.  I still can't believe that someone would make such a claim without some sort of evidence.  Then to start banning people willy-nilly if they had participated at SYG is taking it another step into the twilight zone.  Frankly this entire incident is pretty bizarre.  Someone seems to be having a rough go.  

And so it goes.

I agree.

Mr. X

Quote from: "Slayton"
this applies to SYG and all it's members? Where has on this board been claimed (by even one single member) that she is a pedophile and all those other awful things????? I simply fail to see what made her think that all members of this forum are against her and only want to sabotage her, threaten her, destroy her??? WTF?!!?!? What happened to No 1. rule "Don't make sweeping generalizations"??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Where in my post did I refer to SYG other than to ask the question do the mods post national articles?

As for THIS incident, I have no explanation. All I am saying is she has been attacked in the past by other groups and is twitchy about posts made on her board and I am merely explaning why she is concerned about posts made on her board. I also don't read every single post on her board so I don't know about some that were removed or not.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

dr e

The mods on SYG have a wise habit of maintaining their anomymity.

I can understand how she would want to protect her reputation on her own board but am confounded to understand how SYG might be blamed for any of this.  I am curous Mr X if you might have any ideas about this?

Thanks

E
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

TestSubject

You know, this really doesn't smear SYG's images as badly as it smears theirs.  I had nothing particularly bad to say about Wendy and her cuckoo companions before.

Now I do.

tudball

I've lurked on ifeminism for about a year and from my perspective Mr. X is almost always right on the beam.  He does not come across as a radfem-bashing lunatic but also calls out crap and debates it rationally when he sees it.  But forget the gender issues for a second.  Mr. X, I believe that you have called yourself a Libertarian in the past.  I could be wrong.  But even if I am, can you offer some explanation as to how the decision to exclude (ban) a raft of people, many who have never even heard of ifeminism, comports with the principles of libertarianism?  This is not a "baiting" question; I am trying to get eductated on this issue.  Thanks.

contrarymary

Quote from: "TestSubject"
You know, this really doesn't smear SYG's images as badly as it smears theirs.  I had nothing particularly bad to say about Wendy and her cuckoo companions before.

Now I do.

Test Subject, love your sig(s).
quot;I can resist anything but temptation."

Oscar Wilde

TerryGale

Quote from: "contrarymary"

Now I do.
Test Subject, love your sig(s).
I love your new sig too...  
..but I miss the bit about your two cents...  Maybe you can add a couple of frames to your gif and incorporate it..  or just type it underneath... :D  :lol:

Mr. X

Quote from: "Dr Evil"
The mods on SYG have a wise habit of maintaining their anomymity.

I can understand how she would want to protect her reputation on her own board but am confounded to understand how SYG might be blamed for any of this.  I am curous Mr X if you might have any ideas about this?

Thanks

E

Well I can't find the posts that were originally on page one and 2 of this very thread but someone mentioned flooding Ifeminist bandwidth while another talked about cloaking IPs. I did see those posts myself so I know they aren't made up. They may have been removed by the moderator but I know Wendy read those message and became concerned that some people here might do somethings to her board.

She had an incident about 6 months back where some kids on a car hotrod site decided to come to ifem just to create trouble. I guess either Wendy or someone runs a google search for iFem now and again and that series of "hey lets go f%ck their board" messages showed up. So its not unusual for people from other boards like that one or from the Oxygen board or other boards to come to her board just to kick the hornets nest.

She is also dealing with a law suit right now about IF someone sends a newsletter that is in anyway pro-pedophile, they can be pursued by the feds and arrested/charged. She posted a topic about this on her forum. Apparently the forum CAN be used as evidence IF the forum has some messages that imply a pro stance of some kind. So again she's worried about what gets posted on her forum.

I actually don't know why this spiralled out of control like this. Wendy was trying to stop a lot of the same, repetitive male vs female conflicts that were arising on her board.

Quote from: "tudball"
I've lurked on ifeminism for about a year and from my perspective Mr. X is almost always right on the beam. He does not come across as a radfem-bashing lunatic but also calls out crap and debates it rationally when he sees it. But forget the gender issues for a second. Mr. X, I believe that you have called yourself a Libertarian in the past. I could be wrong. But even if I am, can you offer some explanation as to how the decision to exclude (ban) a raft of people, many who have never even heard of ifeminism, comports with the principles of libertarianism? This is not a "baiting" question; I am trying to get eductated on this issue. Thanks.

Actually that's quite easy. Libertarians hold that private property is the center of human rights. Its her board. She can choose to dump anyone with a Q in their name if she wants to.  iFem is NOT a public institution its private property and by that very position, she can justify banning people. Libertarian is NOT egalitarianism. It makes no attempt at making everyone equal. All it says is DON'T use the law to make people UNEQUAL. This board has the same rights. Its not a public (tax funded) forum. Its run by private people who can choose to exclude anyone they want.

Now as to why the exclusions make sense or not is another issue. That in itself as nothing to do with libertarian. Libertarian says you can boot anyone wearing pink off your property but makes no attempt to explain WHY pink wearing people got booted.

Hope that helps.

TestSubject

Well I can't find the posts that were originally on page one and 2 of this very thread but someone mentioned flooding Ifeminist bandwidth while another talked about cloaking IPs.

Yeah, somebody did post a link to using proxy servers to mask your IP.  I think that was more of a quip than a threat, though.  Proxies are more trouble than they're worth.

Actually that's quite easy. Libertarians hold that private property is the center of human rights. Its her board. She can choose to dump anyone with a Q in their name if she wants to.  iFem is NOT a public institution its private property...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  STOP!  JUST STOP!  I have to repeat this time and time again to people...

THE INTERNET IS PUBLIC!  --> PUBLIC <--

Private is what's sitting on your hard drive.  Once you upload it to an Internet server, it's public, period.  Believing otherwise gets people into trouble, and sometimes hurt.

Calling information you put online "private" is the same as announcing your "secrets" in a crowded bus station.  You're totally fooling yourself.  You can set up and defend all the little play rules you want, but the Internet was designed to make information accessible at all costs.

The only information that is private to the 'net is information it never saw.

Virtue

I was also banned from Ifeminists.  It now appears as though you cant even view their forum unless you are a member.  While I disagreed with many views expressed there I also found a great deal of truth and good points of view.  However taking their board and making it unviewable at all is perhaps the most resounding argument that they have something to hide.  I feel I was banned for bringing the truth that many women will not take responsibility for their actions whether they use feminisim or protected status to do so makes little difference.  Then again if you ask Wendy or Brad (site admins for Ifeminists) they will have a completely different story.
Imagine waking up tomorrow to find
that unbelievably rape is now legal.

You would be freaking out, telling everyone you ran into this is crazy- something needs to be done... now!!! And then every man you told this to just very smugly and condescendingly says...

"Hey... not all men are 'like that.'"

Mr. X

Well I can't find the posts that were originally on page one and 2 of this very thread but someone mentioned flooding Ifeminist bandwidth while another talked about cloaking IPs.

Yeah, somebody did post a link to using proxy servers to mask your IP.  I think that was more of a quip than a threat, though.  Proxies are more trouble than they're worth.

Actually that's quite easy. Libertarians hold that private property is the center of human rights. Its her board. She can choose to dump anyone with a Q in their name if she wants to.  iFem is NOT a public institution its private property...

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  STOP!  JUST STOP!  I have to repeat this time and time again to people...

THE INTERNET IS PUBLIC!  --> PUBLIC <--

Private is what's sitting on your hard drive.  Once you upload it to an Internet server, it's public, period.  Believing otherwise gets people into trouble, and sometimes hurt.

Calling information you put online "private" is the same as announcing your "secrets" in a crowded bus station.  You're totally fooling yourself.  You can set up and defend all the little play rules you want, but the Internet was designed to make information accessible at all costs.

The only information that is private to the 'net is information it never saw.

Sorry but her website is private property. My house can be seen from the street, that does not mean it is in the public domain. The site requires registration. This means you are entering her site as a member and, as so, are subject to removal. If you signed up, you can be dropped. That is private. Sure her articles on her main page are public cause everyone can see them but even with the house analogy, I can put an ugly bush in my front yard and everyone can see its an ugly bush but no one should have a say in if I remove it or not.

If you can show me how someone, who purchases a domain and server space and sets up a website and then has an exclusive area that requires membership somehow falls into public domain I'd love to hear it. People register so, as members, they can be turned down. She does NOT have to give any rhyme or reason to her turning down members. ALSO she is NOT required to keep the site running. If she can remove the site, is responsible for payments on the site, is legally bound by the site, then its HER property. Do you think if she posted some pictures on her site and the feds came after her she could claim, as you say, the site isn't hers but its public?

If she has ownership, she has control.

Go Up