OK, I've found an analogue to the boy bashing shirts

Started by SouthernGuy, Oct 07, 2005, 04:34 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

SouthernGuy

Yes, these are all REAL shirts. I play in a band and I'm actually considering wearing one of these shirts onstage. I would only wear it to stir the pot, not to make any real statement. I would love for someone to say some shit to me about it, especially when I have control of the microphone in a club full of people.

It would give me the opportunity to bring up all the boy bashing shirts and any other part of feminism that pisses me off. Ten years ago, I would've thought these shirts were disgusting, but after all the male bashing from feminists, I'm thinking they're hilarious.

Thoughts anyone?

zarby

I read just the other day a lady was not allowed to get on Southwest Airlines because she was wearing an "offensive" anti-bush shirt.

My guess is that Southwest Airlines wouldn't let you on wearing on of these shirts. In general, I don't expect a lot of "tolerance" these days even from those who teach tolerance. -- they are tolerant as long as you agree with them. What I am trying to say in a long winded way I think you have to expect that some of these shirts might get you in trouble.

SouthernGuy

What I am trying to say in a long winded way I think you have to expect that some of these shirts might get you in trouble.

I'm in love with trouble, I'm working on a feminist right now. I'm ordering the "Not now honey, I'm building your cage shirt". I think I'll change into right after I finish banging her senseless.

I like these too...

Drifter

It's all fun and games until someone gets shot.

Is it justified because of all of the "feminism that pisses me off" or because you'd "love for someone to say some shit".

Probably not.

TerryGale

Maybe get one of those T-shirt iron-on transfer design programs and make some affirmative male message shirts to wear.  I'm not sure you have anything to gain by sinking to negative bashing.  

Maybe you and your band could build a little home-made silk-screen set-up, settle on a male-friendly affirmative slogan and have several shirts apiece made for each of you (to make it cost effective).  If you made a bunch of t-shirts with an affirmative message and your band's name, you could make it a publicity gimmick to give one shirt away a night (maybe challenge someone to come up and sing karaoke style).  If you do this idea, only do x-lg, xx-lg, xxx-lg shirts.  People will gladly take a larger sized shirt.

SouthernGuy

Maybe get one of those T-shirt iron-on transfer design programs and make some affirmative male message shirts to wear.

People just don't seem to listen to that. How many people REALLY know who Glenn Sacks is? I'm starting to think guerilla activism is the only way to go for me.

typhonblue

I don't see these shirts being in the same vein as the boy-bashing ones.

Rape victim != woman.

contrarymary

Quote from: "SouthernGuy"
What I am trying to say in a long winded way I think you have to expect that some of these shirts might get you in trouble.

I'm in love with trouble, I'm working on a feminist right now. I'm ordering the "Not now honey, I'm building your cage shirt". I think I'll change into right after I finish banging her senseless.

I like these too...

[/b]

YO!!!! I'm a Jersey girl..........    :x
quot;I can resist anything but temptation."

Oscar Wilde

contrarymary

A clarification:  I don't think offensive t-shirts should be prohibited.  I'm a believer in First Amendment rights.  A true believer.

But that doesn't mean I don't have the right to tell someone her shirt is offensive.

Oscar Wilde

SouthernGuy

YO!!!! I'm a Jersey girl.......... Mad

How you doin'? :wink:

contrarymary

Quote from: "SouthernGuy"
YO!!!! I'm a Jersey girl.......... Mad

How you doin'? :wink:

Sorry, I'm too busy not being picked up to respond.... :wink:

Oscar Wilde

SouthernGuy

Sorry, I'm too busy not being picked up to respond....

*snap*

The Gonzman

Quote from: "contrarymary"

Joisey?  What paht uh Joisey?  Oi used ta live in Middelton, see?  Cross da river from Red Baink...

(Yeah, it's hard to do a Jersey accent across the internet)
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

contrarymary

Quote from: "Gonzokid"
Quote from: "contrarymary"

Joisey?  What paht uh Joisey?  Oi used ta live in Middelton, see?  Cross da river from Red Baink...

(Yeah, it's hard to do a Jersey accent across the internet)

South Jersey.  Mt. Ephraim, Pine Hill, Maple Shade....

Oscar Wilde

sethay

While I agree with the principal of comparing these shirts to the awful shirts about hurting men...that does not make them appropriate.

Although a few of them are funny (such as the "just say no to women drivers") and may be good for a laugh as well as sparking conversation about gender issues.  Wearing shirts advocating hurting anyone, even in jest, is very inappropriate and there is no reason for anyone in their right mind to wear them.  It does not do the MRM any good to be advocating wearing shirts that make light of rape.

Go Up