Susan Polk Murder Trial

Started by blackmanx, Oct 08, 2005, 07:53 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Darth Sidious

No, I am not seeing things.  You left out part of your quote.  First, you quoted contrarymary:

27 times? No way was this self-defense. You stab the person enough to stun them, then you get the hell out. You don't continue for another 22 stabs.

and then you say this:

I'm not so sure about this one, Mary. I mean, 27 stabs surely is a lot and I'll avoid commenting on this specific case

Although you said you were not commenting, your reply to Mary seemed to cast doubt on her conclusion (and mine) that 27 stabs could not be excused as self-defense.  Do you see I am not pulling this out of the ether?

I cannot imagine any situation where someone would have to stab another person that many times purely in self-defense.

Quentin0352

I'm not sure if anyone else has any experience in this but I CAN say that depending on how it happened, 27 stabbings is within the realm of possibility in self defense though it is unlikely. Even without drugs, smaller people have been known to take massive amounts of damage to their bodies and still keep fighting but time is a major factor since it can take a minute or three for the effects to catch up on the body. People have been shot through the heart and continued to run, shoot and fight though they were literally dead already. Their bodies and brains just didn't realize it yet.

I can also point to a local case where a man was attacked by his wife and he shot her. Luckily for him he was cleared in it but he was also a cop. Now the paper was actually fairly balanced about it which was amazing but the people have been outraged saying he should have shot her leg and etc though she was attacking him with a knife. They obviously don't shoot and base their opinions on how easy it is even with a shotgun on movies and people flying through windows after being shot in the leg while running from 40 yards by a quick draw with a pistol and etc. Yeah, RIGHT, that isn't a shot people will make in the real world though.

antimisandry

i just caught some of this on courttv and the reporter, imho, seemed to be mocking the defense somewhat.
However, Ms (I assume she is Ms now rather than Mrs?) Polk is effectively claiming batty..uh...battered woman syndrome along with the hand-in-hand self-defense claim.

Oh well... Her lawyer, Mr Burrels ( i think) seemed rather confident she would get her self-defense plea over convincingly to the jury.

I'm hoping not.
ny man living in this feminized world has got to be tough to tolerate it.

>> http://antimisandry.com <<

Darth Sidious

Well, if she is Ms. rather than Mrs. now, we know who to blame for that.

Quentin0352

Kind of like the Mendez brothers complaining they were orphans so should be granted leniency for killing their parents.

Darth Sidious

Yes, Quentin, that was a ridiculous defense.

blackmanx

Let's  keep  an  eye  on  those  issues.
y book, Men's Rights Activists.

http://www.lulu.com/content/418976

The Biscuit Queen

I think that sometimes people get the adrenyline going and once they start they cannot stop. I am not saying that is what happened here, but it does happen.

I would also think that if she was a cold blooded killer, who premeditiated this, you would think she would have realized that 27 is not exactly a normal self defence number of stabs.

On the other hand, maybe she thought that making it look like she snapped would fly better than only a few stabs.

So naturally, you put the poison in your cup.....
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Mater Domina

None of you work in a womens jail because if you went to some you would see its lots of women in prison doing long bids too.  Crimes commited by women has actually went up more then 300% in the last ten years.  If they can prove it was self defense then they should go with the appropriate ruling but right now, theirs not enough evidence to say what the truth is because as we can see, even the brothers are divided on this.
f you loved yourself truely, you would love your brothers and sisters just as earnestly.

Quentin0352

Since men can not claim self defense in the form of "battered women's syndrome" like she is claiming, then women should be denied it too. I would also point out that it shows how level headed the MRA movement is that while we are doubtful we are willing to see if there was something to it.

As to women in jail, 25% of those arrested for crimes are women but they only make 7% of the population in jails. So a 300% increase really doesn't mean much when their seeing such a disproportionate number actually punished for crimes compared to men.

Mike

Should a Jury or Judge be allowed to know the gender of the accussed?

neoteny

Link to article

Susan Polk show fun, not funny
C.W. Nevius

Thursday, June 1, 2006

Oh sure, the Susan Polk trial has been fun while it's lasted. Her loony objections, constant motions for mistrial and sniping with prosecutor Paul Sequeira have been terrific fodder for the news cycle. Looking back at it, if television cameras had been allowed in the courtroom, this could have been a national sensation on the scale of O.J. Simpson.

However, we are coming upon crunch time and a clear reality is looming. If Polk manages, through delays, stalls and amateur lawyering, to get off, howls of indignation will be heard from sea to shining sea.

As this week began, there was really only one question: Fourteen weeks into this, could Sequeira focus the trial into a coherent legal proceeding now that he was deep into his cross-examination of a defendant accused of killing her husband?

The simple answer is no. Polk is as elusive, maddening and uncontrolled as ever.

However, amid her endless digressions, quibbles about verbiage and personal jabs at the prosecutor, Sequeira has assembled a formidable case against her. Polk may be able to highjack the testimony and muddle the evidence, but if the jury rules on the facts and not the dramatics, it is hard to imagine Polk will not be convicted.

Her argument that she was a battered wife who stabbed her husband, Felix Polk, in self-defense and that he died of a heart attack just doesn't add up.

Wednesday morning, for example, she gave a tearful description of how her husband punched her in the face, threw her to the floor, dragged her by the hair, nearly blinded her with pepper spray, punched her again and then attempted to stab her, leaving her stunned and powerless on her back. In fact, she suggested at some points, she may have blacked out.

And yet, within seconds, the petite Polk says, she roused herself and kicked Felix in the groin, incapacitating him. Better yet, even though she was barely able to see, she was able to grab the knife from his hand without suffering a single wound from the 5-inch blade.

Even Polk admitted, "I think there was something miraculous about that.''

No kidding.

The danger here, of course, is that the law and facts of the case become swamped by Polk's single-minded performance. There is no telling what the jury is thinking. Sequeira can't risk showing his exasperation for fear of putting them off. It is one thing to be the prosecutor in the hottest case in the country. But it wouldn't be nearly as impressive an accomplishment to lose it.

Polk has no such worries. She has her assortment of stalls, tricks and snippy little comments down to a science. She repeats almost all of Sequeira's questions slowly and deliberately. Often, she picks a single word and debates its meaning.

"English is a fascinating language,'' she said at one point. "There are a number of ways to describe the same thing.''

Veteran trial watchers, like Alison Shurtleff -- who spent her lunch hour being interviewed by NBC's "Today Show'' about her obsession with the trial -- smile knowingly when Sequeira refers to Polk's "pool house.'' Polk insists it is a "cottage,'' which is only one example of their semantic dueling. At one point, the district attorney used the metaphor, "that horse is out of the barn.''

"I would prefer, 'Cat is out of the bag,' '' Shurtleff recalls Polk saying.

Once the meaning of the words have been debated, Polk is likely to offer one of her many objections. When Contra Costa County Superior Court Judge Laurel Brady overrules it, Polk is likely to appeal for a mistrial and then make some cracks about the judge and prosecutor conspiring against her.

Sequeira is clearly struggling with his composure; but if the jury hasn't totally tuned everyone out, he's putting a case together. He's taken to keeping a running total of the number of people Polk insists have fabricated evidence, moved her husband's body, lied or generally worked to frame her. Sequeira has headlined the list "Liars,'' but Polk says, "That title should be changed to 'deceptive persons.' ''

The list grew again Wednesday as Polk suggested that graphic photos of the deep cuts on her husband's hand might have "been manipulated with a computer program.'' The idea that officers of the court and the law enforcement community would deliberately falsify evidence to destroy Polk's case is just an example of the level of her delusion.

I'll admit it, it's been a guilty pleasure watching Polk take this civics lesson into outer space. But the pleasure will turn to disgust, then outrage, if Polk pulls this off. Her most recent ploy, asking the judge to instruct jurors to convict her of murder or let her go, is a transparent example of what she's hoping for.

Having worn them down with months of self-indulgent foolishness, she's hoping jurors will ignore the mound of evidence against her and let her off. If that happens there will be nothing funny about it.
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

CaptDMO

Good job keeping on top of this!!

Go Up