Susan Polk Murder Trial

Started by blackmanx, Oct 08, 2005, 07:53 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

blackmanx

I  saw   something  on  the  news  yesterday.  Susan  Polk  has  been  accused  of  killing  her  husband.  Death  by  stabbing,  27  times.  She  claims  self-defense.   One  of  her sons will  testify against  her.  The  other will  testify  for  the  defense.  Susan  Polk  claims  that  her  husband  attacked  her  and  that  she  had  no  choice  but  to  kill  him.

I  watched  the   news.  I  saw  it.  What  troubled  me  is the  amount  of
sympathy  she  got  from  the  news  people.   They're  supposed  to be
impartial.  I  wonder  if  they  would  have  been  so  sympathetic  if  the
case  was  about  a  man   claiming  self-defense  after  killing  his  wife.
We  don't  know  the  truth  as  of  yet.  Maybe   Mr.  Polk   lost  it  and
tried  to  kill  his  wife.  Or  maybe   Susan  Polk  was  a violent woman  with  a  temper  and  she  killed  her  hubby  in  cold  blood.  We  don't know.

Impartiality  is  rare  these  days.   Especially  from  a  certain  blonde  female  news  reporter.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/20/therapistkilling.ap/
y book, Men's Rights Activists.

http://www.lulu.com/content/418976

contrarymary

27 times? No way was this self-defense.  You stab the person enough to stun them, then you get the hell out.  You don't continue for another 22 stabs.
quot;I can resist anything but temptation."

Oscar Wilde

Darth Sidious

Quote from: "contrarymary"
27 times? No way was this self-defense.  You stab the person enough to stun them, then you get the hell out.  You don't continue for another 22 stabs.

I agree; no one stabs someone that many times in self-defense.  The fact one of her sons is testifying against her speaks volumes.

She is getting sympathy for this? :angryfire:

slayton

Quote from: "blackmanx"
I  wonder  if  they  would  have  been  so  sympathetic  if  thecase  was  about  a  man   claiming  self-defense  after  killing  his  wife.

Stop wondering. The answer is no. :D

27 times? No way was this self-defense. You stab the person enough to stun them, then you get the hell out. You don't continue for another 22 stabs.

I'm not so sure about this one, Mary. I mean, 27 stabs surely is a lot and I'll avoid commenting on this specific case, but I have a problem with the "You stab the person enough to stun them" statement. How much in your opinion is "enough" to stun them, where's the limit? 1 stab? 2? 5? 10?

contrarymary

I realized after I posted it I was full of it. Never having stabbed anyone, I really woudn't know.

:oops:
quot;I can resist anything but temptation."

Oscar Wilde

Darth Sidious

Do you seriously think, Slaytan, that stabbing someone that 27 times can be justified as self-defense?  One of her sons is even testifying against her.  I think these two facts are enough to safely say her stabbing was not motivated by self-defense at all.

slayton

Quote from: "contrarymary"
Never having stabbed anyone, I really woudn't know.

Neither have I, I'm just speculating.

I noticed also this
Susan Polk began seeing him as a therapist when she was 15. She claims they soon began an affair and was 24 when she married him. He was 50.

If this is true, then it's quite disturbing (the age thing - she 15, he 41). Of course, this is what she claims - given the fact that she obviously had some mental problems back then, this statement is questionable.

slayton

Quote from: "Darth Sidious"
Do you seriously think, Slaytan, that stabbing someone that 27 times can be justified as self-defense?  One of her sons is even testifying against her.  I think these two facts are enough to safely say her stabbing was not motivated by self-defense at all.

Darth, read carefully one more time what I wrote above. I explicitly stated that 27 stabs is a lot and that I'm not commenting on the specific case (concerning what followed).

I'll tell you this though: if I was forced to fight for my life with a knife, the final result would definately be more than 1 stab in the attacker.

SecondToDie

I wonder if prosecuters will seek the death penalty.

Darth Sidious

Quote from: "Slaytan"
Darth, read carefully one more time what I wrote above. I explicitly stated that 27 stabs is a lot and that I'm not commenting on the specific case (concerning what followed).

I'll tell you this though: if I was forced to fight for my life with a knife, the final result would definately be more than 1 stab in the attacker.

Oh, I read it.  You seemed to be holding out the possibility (however slight) that 27 stabs can be considered self-defense although you said you were not commenting on this situation.  I half expected you to tell me to re-read your post when I posted mine.

Of course, it would probably take more than one stab to stop an attacker.  But 27?  Absolutely no way.  The guy would have to practically be a walking tank to require that many stabs to stop.  How likely is it this guy is like that?  Exceedingly unlikely.

I could accept the self-defense possibility if the guy was stabbed about five times.  But a number of stabs that high?  I am certainly not buying it.

Mr. X

Oh, I read it.  You seemed to be holding out the possibility (however slight) that 27 stabs can be considered self-defense although you said you were not commenting on this situation.  I half expected you to tell me to re-read your post when I posted mine.

Of course, it would probably take more than one stab to stop an attacker.  But 27?  Absolutely no way.  The guy would have to practically be a walking tank to require that many stabs to stop.  How likely is it this guy is like that?  Exceedingly unlikely.

I could accept the self-defense possibility if the guy was stabbed about five times.  But a number of stabs that high?  I am certainly not buying it.

Maybe he fell on the knife 27 times... backwards... by himself...

Ok just kidding.

Now I have no sympathy for Scott Peterson but it seems to me Peterson was convicted on far less than what appears to be against this woman. Should be interesting to see what the final outcome is.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

Darth Sidious

Unfortunately, I think we can all guess what the final outcome will be.  She will likely either get off without punishment or she will receive a light sentence.

Death penalty?  That probably is as likely as the sun rising in the west tomorrow.

Mr. X

Unfortunately, I think we can all guess what the final outcome will be.  She will likely either get off without punishment or she will receive a light sentence.

Death penalty?  That probably is as likely as the sun rising in the west tomorrow.

Yeah Andrea Yates didn't get the death penalty and there was far more evidence against her than against Peterson, or even OJ for that matter.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

Darth Sidious

Quote from: "Mr. X"
Yeah Andrea Yates didn't get the death penalty and there was far more evidence against her than against Peterson, or even OJ for that matter.

One could argue what Andrea Yates did was on a par with or even worse than what some of the others mentioned here have done.  She killed defenseless children, her children!

slayton

...and where have I claimed the opposite???

Once again, I never said that I'm buying into her self-defence claims.

You're seeing things, Darth, that just aren't there, that just weren't written by me.

but I have a problem with the "You stab the person enough to stun them" statement. How much in your opinion is "enough" to stun them, where's the limit? 1 stab? 2? 5? 10?

The quote above is the source of our dispute. Please read it.

Go Up