Thought this might be of interest

Started by lkanneg, Oct 17, 2005, 11:51 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

lkanneg

Scientist Wins Male Contraceptive Grant
Fri Oct 14, 8:20 PM ET

NORFOLK, Va. - A Norfolk State University researcher who has worked nearly 20 years to create a male contraceptive will share in a $3.6 million grant to help him further his work.

The funding for Joseph C. Hall's research is from the National Institutes of Health.

The grant, Hall said, will bring to his research the world of "computer-assisted drug design" to speed the time he can produce compounds for testing.

The grant, distributed over five years, will support Norfolk State's Center for Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences, which Hall directs.

Hall's research, which has received money from the National Science Foundation, seeks to blunt sperm's ability to fertilize eggs. His focus is the enzyme that penetrates the sugar coating that surrounds the egg. He is seeking a compound that can bind to the enzyme, deactivating the sperm.

While Hall has reached a solid success rate of 92 percent, he wants his contraceptive to be 100 percent foolproof. He expects the final product to be in the form of a patch.

The university's first NIH grant in 13 years will also will be used on protein research, which could improve cancer treatments; add at least a handful of faculty positions; and provide opportunities for students and faculty members to collaborate with their counterparts at Eastern Virginia +Medical+ School and the University of Virginia.

"So often, Norfolk State has had to be the school that follows new leads that come up in generally established programs," said Hall, an associate professor of chemistry. "We decided to take an initiative role and be a leader for a change."

By supporting the emerging field of computer-assisted drug design, the NIH grant will help Hall make and test compounds more quickly.

"Right now, at the rate I'm going, synthesizing one compound at a time, it would take me five to six years to test to get the right one," Hall told The Virginian-Pilot. "This will shorten the time to six months or a year."

The grant also will pay for new supplies and equipment, lab renovations and training and travel for researchers, said Sandra J. DeLoatch, the dean of the School of Science and Technology.

"For undergraduates, it's tremendous," she said. "It allows us to provide very valuable research experience to students to hopefully motivate them to go to graduate school to continue their studies."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051015/ap_on_he_me/male_contraceptive_2
quot;Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

"Something which we think is impossible now is not impossible in another decade."
-- Constance Baker Motley

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."
--Janis Joplin

BaltimoreMan

Quote from: "lkanneg"
Scientist Wins Male Contraceptive Grant
Fri Oct 14, 8:20 PM ET

NORFOLK, Va. - A Norfolk State University researcher who has worked nearly 20 years to create a male contraceptive will share in a $3.6 million grant to help him further his work.

The funding for Joseph C. Hall's research is from the National Institutes of Health.

The grant, Hall said, will bring to his research the world of "computer-assisted drug design" to speed the time he can produce compounds for testing.

The grant, distributed over five years, will support Norfolk State's Center for Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences, which Hall directs.

Hall's research, which has received money from the National Science Foundation, seeks to blunt sperm's ability to fertilize eggs. His focus is the enzyme that penetrates the sugar coating that surrounds the egg. He is seeking a compound that can bind to the enzyme, deactivating the sperm.

While Hall has reached a solid success rate of 92 percent, he wants his contraceptive to be 100 percent foolproof. He expects the final product to be in the form of a patch.

The university's first NIH grant in 13 years will also will be used on protein research, which could improve cancer treatments; add at least a handful of faculty positions; and provide opportunities for students and faculty members to collaborate with their counterparts at Eastern Virginia +Medical+ School and the University of Virginia.

"So often, Norfolk State has had to be the school that follows new leads that come up in generally established programs," said Hall, an associate professor of chemistry. "We decided to take an initiative role and be a leader for a change."

By supporting the emerging field of computer-assisted drug design, the NIH grant will help Hall make and test compounds more quickly.

"Right now, at the rate I'm going, synthesizing one compound at a time, it would take me five to six years to test to get the right one," Hall told The Virginian-Pilot. "This will shorten the time to six months or a year."

The grant also will pay for new supplies and equipment, lab renovations and training and travel for researchers, said Sandra J. DeLoatch, the dean of the School of Science and Technology.

"For undergraduates, it's tremendous," she said. "It allows us to provide very valuable research experience to students to hopefully motivate them to go to graduate school to continue their studies."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051015/ap_on_he_me/male_contraceptive_2

Thank you for posting this, Ike.
ou never loved your friends, my friends, as I shall love my foes

antimisandry

looks like things are finally moving...
ny man living in this feminized world has got to be tough to tolerate it.

>> http://antimisandry.com <<

woof

Science has already discovered a male birth, and life control, but it hasn't reached the proper critical morass, but is getting closer every day.

Univ. Berkeley just announced the discovery of the heaviest element yet known to science. The new element has been named "Governmentium".

Governmentium has one neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75 deputy neutrons, and 224 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312. These 312 particles are held together by forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons.

When catalyzed with money, Governmentium becomes Administratium, an element which radiates just as much energy, since it has half as many peons, but twice as many morons.

Since Governmentium has no electrons, it is inert. It can be detected, however, as it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact. A reaction that normally takes one minute or less will require a week or more if contaminated by any Governmentium.

The half-life of Governmentium is 4 years. It does not, however, decay, but instead undergoes a reorganization in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutron exchange places. In fact, Governmentium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganization will cause more morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes. The characteristic of moron-promotion leads some scientists to believe that Governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration.

This hypothetical quantity is called "Critical Morass".
:wink:
Even a whole village can't replace dad, children need both parents.

sethay

I can't wait for male birth control!  Mostly because my wife often blames her moodiness on her birth control pills.  When I can take pills, I will.

SecondToDie

While most men (and women) will probably welcome male contraceptives, radical feminists will attack it because it will be one more way men will control women's reproductive rights or something.  I also wonder what the reaction from Christian conservatives will be.

SIAM

I thought paternity fraud and all the anti-father bias was as good a contraceptive as any.

Gerard Velthuis

I can't wait for male birth control! Mostly because my wife often blames her moodiness on her birth control pills. When I can take pills, I will.

Sethay, if you would take male birth control instead of your wife, YOU will be the one having moodiness problems.
The male birth control will have similar side-effects as female birth control.

While most men (and women) will probably welcome male contraceptives, radical feminists will attack it because it will be one more way men will control women's reproductive rights or something.

I disagree. I think feminists will embrace male birth control with open arms.
Here in the Netherlands, feminists can't wait for the male birth control.
t is time men start behaving like men again and stand up for their rights, instead of behaving like conformist push-overs.

The Gonzman

Quote from: "Gerard Velthuis"
I can't wait for male birth control! Mostly because my wife often blames her moodiness on her birth control pills. When I can take pills, I will.

Sethay, if you would take male birth control instead of your wife, YOU will be the one having moodiness problems.

And, as I predicted over a year ago, when such things as the "male pill" become closer to reality, expect all sorts of nonsense and wild-eyed chicken little propaganda about all the horrible side effects it will have on men.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3543478/

"Brown has been taking hormonal contraceptives for more than a year. He reports no problems with weight gain or acne, two side effects that occurred in earlier versions of MHCs tested in the 1990s."

Your information is about 15 years out of date, dude.

While most men (and women) will probably welcome male contraceptives, radical feminists will attack it because it will be one more way men will control women's reproductive rights or something.

I disagree. I think feminists will embrace male birth control with open arms.
Here in the Netherlands, feminists can't wait for the male birth control.

Funny - here in the states it is frantically pooh-poohed.  Wonder why?
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

sethay

Even if it does make me moody, I don't care.  One of us has to take them...

I would rather be moody myself, then have to deal with her being moody!  :wink:

Gerard Velthuis

Even if it does make me moody, I don't care. One of us has to take them...

I would rather be moody myself, then have to deal with her being moody!

Chances are that the side effects of the male pill will be even larger than those of the female pill because the male pill uses female hormons which the male body, obviously, is not accustomed to. Then somehow they try to balance it again with injecting more male hormons. I can image that this playing with the balance of your hormon-level will create many side-effects.

The female pill simply uses female hormons. The female body is obviously accustomed to this hormone, so I think it makes sense this will create less side-effects.

Personally, I don't care much of the male pill. To me it is simply another blow for us men next to all the other "blows" men are confronted with at the moment, and it will be much a relief for women, So women win and men will lose. Like I said, I see it more like another burden for men.
It might benefit a proportion of men however I believe for the majority of men it will be nothing more than another burden.

However we had this discussion already, so I guess it is not much use to start it all over again.
t is time men start behaving like men again and stand up for their rights, instead of behaving like conformist push-overs.

The Gonzman

Chances are that the side effects of the male pill will be even larger than those of the female pill because the male pill uses female hormons which the male body, obviously, is not accustomed to. Then somehow they try to balance it again with injecting more male hormons. I can image that this playing with the balance of your hormon-level will create many side-effects.

Imagine is the operative word.  We have a Bullshit, disinformation, and propaganda alert here on you.  What is your medical degree that you can "imagine" in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence that completely contradicts your imaginings?

REALITY CHECK

Quote from: "Gonzokid"
And, as I predicted over a year ago, when such things as the "male pill" become closer to reality, expect all sorts of nonsense and wild-eyed chicken little propaganda about all the horrible side effects it will have on men.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3543478/

"Brown has been taking hormonal contraceptives for more than a year. He reports no problems with weight gain or acne, two side effects that occurred in earlier versions of MHCs tested in the 1990s."

Your information is about 15 years out of date, dude

The female pill simply uses female hormons. The female body is obviously accustomed to this hormone, so I think it makes sense this will create less side-effects.

And the male pill uses male hormones.  And men and women both produce male and female hormones.  So BOTh sexes are "used" to those hormones being naturally present.

Personally, I don't care much of the male pill. To me it is simply another blow for us men next to all the other "blows" men are confronted with at the moment, and it will be much a relief for women, So women win and men will lose. Like I said, I see it more like another burden for men.
It might benefit a proportion of men however I believe for the majority of men it will be nothing more than another burden.

Yes, choice and control over your life is such a "burden."  Having the means at hand to not be trapped into unwanted fatherhood is such a "burden."  I guess it's much less of a burden to be sucked into twenty some odd years - maybe even thirty (in some states, you can be stuck with post graduate bills as long as the child stays in college without dropping out) of child support for a child you are hardly allowed to see.

It's a burden, you mean, for the lazy and gutless.

Your response is very typical of feminists.  And you had the nerve to accuse Indiana Jones of being a troll.

However we had this discussion already, so I guess it is not much use to start it all over again.

So stop with your inaccurate and outdated information, lies, propaganda, and untruths and you won't start it up again.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Gerard Velthuis

Gonzokid, I am a masculist just like you guys.
However I don't agree with some of the people here who embrace the male pill.

To say you have a bullshit, disinformation, and propaganda alert here on me makes me feel like a child and I find this rather insulting. I don't appreciate this at all.
I am a 100% masculist however I don't agree with some of you guys' ideas of the male pill. I already have explained why in the previous threads about the male pill so I don't want to fall in repetition here.

to reply to your comment (well more like an attack):

What is your medical degree that you can "imagine" in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence that completely contradicts your imaginings?

There is no scientific evidence Gonzo. The male pill is far from being complete and that is why it is impossible to say what the side-effects might be.
It took years before it came clear for the female pill what the side effects were, so the long-run side effects for the male pill simply can not be known yet.
Of course the people who manufacture this product will say that it is 100% safe, but those are the people actually selling and promoting their product so of course they will never say it has side-effects.
That is also what they said about cigarettes in the beginning. It was safe, and they never admitted it could cause health problems. Till years later when they simply couldn't keep on lying anymore.
You can bet your ass that the male pill WILL have side effects, just like the female pill, however how severe this may be and what exactly are these side effects simply can not be told yet. So don't be fooled by these people who say there are no side effects.

In the article mainly one man is mentioned.
He was taking the male pill one yr. That is no way enough to state that there are no long-term effects. Also it is just ONE man, so this really doesn't say anything. It is a sample of 1 person, statistically this doesn't prove anything. It is even laughable that they only use comments of one person. There could have been persons that DID have side effects and they could simply have chosen not to interview them.

Also the person mentioned DID actually say there were side effects:

"I may have put on a little weight"

"It seemed like I was getting headaches and then there were times when I woke up sweating at night and I had to change my shirt."

And the male pill uses male hormones. And men and women both produce male and female hormones. So BOTh sexes are "used" to those hormones being naturally present.

I knew somebody would say something about this. Yes the male body also produces female hormons but MUCH MUCH less than women.
And yes women also produce male hormons but 20 times (!) less than men.
At the moment it seems that there are being developed multiple male birth control methods. In previous articles they mentioned, especially with the implants, that they would use female hormons and later this would be "corrected" again with extra male hormons. Seems to me this is simply juggling with hormons and this can't be much good.
Well here they mention they (also) use testosterone. Well like I said, it seems there will be multiple methods. However adding extra hormons simply can't be good in the first place.

My information is not inaccurate. I get it from recent articles and I know one or two things about male and female anatomy.
My information is not outdated. I use information from articles recently published.
Those are not lies. Unless the articles are using lies. It is simply something you don't share but that doesn't make it lies.

The way you are reacting is simply because we don't agree. That doesn't mean you can accuse me of spreading lies or inaccurate information.

I have said it in the other treads also: Theoretically the male pill might benefit men. However in practise I don't see it happening (much). Also many men are simply not waiting for it and they couldn't care less.
Like I said, it might benefit SOME men but for most men it will indeed be a n extra burden (just like many women experience it at the moment, they don't see it as power, but more a burden and many women wish they could transfer this burden to men. However most women will not trust their husbands / bfs for taking the male pill so chances are the majority of women will STILL use the female pill. Here there was a survey recently that said the majority of men thought the male pill was a good thing (a welcome), however to me this is simply giving a PC comment because if you would say the male pill is not a nice welcome you would be considered a sexist. But then it turned out only 17% of men would be willing to ACTUALLY use the male pill AND, maybe even more surprisingly only 15% of women would trust their spouses using the male pill. So only 15% of women were prepared to transfer the pill to men.)

Something similar is also mentioned in the article several times:

Forty-year-old Scott Hardin says he's glad that men may soon have a new choice when it comes to birth control. But, he adds, he would not even consider taking a male hormonal contraceptive.

... but [a lot of men] are wary of taking any type of hormones.

But will men take it? ... some say only if their partners make them, and other say they would never even consider it.

Yes I agree. I think many men who actually would take the male pill will be MADE (sort or less) by their spouses. This would prove that for such men the male pill is indeed a burden otherwise their spouses wouldn't have to "force" them. I think these men are more than happy their wives / gfs would take the pill.

Look this is where I disagree with you guys (at least the ones who have reacted). You see the male pill as power. I say: most men (the majority) don't think like you guys do. They don't care about it. To them it is just a burden.

Anyway, I really don't want to continue this "debate". We have had 3 threads about this not so long agao, and I think enough has been said in these 3 threads.

Also, if I am really being watched I don't appreciate this at all. This is a board where everybody can say what they want. Just because I disagree with some of you guys on ONE topic doesn't mean you have the right to watch my every move. If this is the way I will be treated at this board, like a baby, I am not sure if I want to continue posting here.

CaptDMO

Anyway, I really don't want to continue this "debate". We have had 3 threads about this not so long agao, and I think enough has been said in these 3 threads.

And I believe you are mistaken!

Also, if I am really being watched I don't appreciate this at all. This is a board where everybody can say what they want. Just because I disagree with some of you guys on ONE topic doesn't mean you have the right to watch my every move. If this is the way I will be treated at this board, like a baby, I am not sure if I want to continue posting here.

Actually, I watch you for what yoou've posted on several subjects.(flattering isn't it?)
Feel free to not defend your views, to not accept that others may disagree with you, and
post where your offerings will not be scrutinized.
Enjoying respect from ones peers is far superior to demanding it!

Gerard Velthuis

Feel free to not defend your views

I already defended my views in those three threads. This wasn't so long ago.
I said everything I wanted to say in those 3 threads so I don't see why it is helpful to keep repeating myself on this topic.

to not accept that others may disagree with you

I could say the same thing to the people who disagree with me. THEY don't seem to accept the fact that people disagree with them.

and post where your offerings will not be scrutinized

I understand that my offeerings are scrutinized just like I sometimes scrutinize offerings of people. I also have defended the scrutinization, again, in those other three threads.

I don't demand respect from anybody. I am just posting here every now and then because I feel like it. I like to discuss things when it comes down to men's rights and issues or the glorifying nature of regarding women nowadays. I am not asking for respect. I just like to discuss or post something every now and then. If I may or may not get respect with what I do, that is a second priority to me. I think respect is something to builds up gradually anyway, and you might get it unintentionally (or not).

I find it childish that you watch my postings. I really don't have anything to prove to you (or others) but if it makes you happy then by all means be my guest.

Go Up