Is feminism a hate movement? for Lkanneg ONLY

Started by dr e, Dec 01, 2005, 11:09 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

sethay

I don't like posting on feminist boards, because I know if I post something, there will be 50 people posting counter arguments and there is NO WAY I will be able to refute them all.  However, if they offered me the chance to debate 1 on 1, I would do it any day!

Sir Percy

So let a 1:1 debate be offered. Let Lisa decide whether to enter a ring or not and let no one produce any arguement that says a person 'must'.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

dr e

Sir Percy - I think you have lost your bearings.  No one has told Lisa she must do anything.  This has been her idea and I have agreed with her .  Lisa is very clear that she has left quite a few "threads undone" by telling others that she would research things and get back to them and then never did.  By her efforts to clean up the mess she has left she has in fact gathered a good deal of respect from the members here who see her efforts as being an indication that she wants to communicate, not just run from tough issues that don't have simple answers.  

You might want to check with your trusty steed and ask him if he thinks you might be acting a bit on the chivalrous side.  Lisa is an adult and can take good care of herself.  I don't think she needs you to protect her from the evil dr.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Roy

Sir Percy ---
I have said before that I do not wish to play defence lawyer to anyone. I am not playing devil's advocate either. But frankly I find this picking on Lisa to be offensive and whilst Dr E puts it in terms that make it appear to be an offer to discuss, I think this is sophistry and against his own 'personal attack' rules. In spirit, if not in black-letter.

Sir Percy and I usually find some way to morph an agreeable gesture into a contest.

So I am shocked to have to depart from our comradely tradition.

( I really admire this Sir Percy "person/identity/scribe", even though we've never "met...")

Which brings me to my point of agreement with S.P.   :D

I just do not get the "personal" attacks basis of Dr. Evil's philosophy of manners. Originally it was about not making generalizations and using grammatical devices to exempt one's remarks from banning. The easiest trick is to quote someone and express your personal ambiguity about the point the quote makes.... (Dr. E. ..... you taught me this tactic!   :wink: )

Though I admire Dr. Evil's idealistic intentions to create a web "salon" where civility still matters, it all breaks down in this postmodern arena.

Problem is, the web is not a civil neighborhood where real people know their neighbors.

America has not been like that for about 50 years now...

So, in a space where no one knows their neighbor, how can anything be "personal?"

But, now, here's my trick of rhetoric.....

If Sir Percy finds Dr. E's "picking on" Lisa to be offensive....

where among all the words-on-a-screen is the victim .... really?

How can you actually assault a textual impression of an apparition?

If you are reading this, you are looking at phosphorous dots on a screen
assembled to project a "voice..."

You cannot assault an on-screen "voice."

(And, if feminists get their way soon, cyber-hate-speech will be outlawed, count on it! Already two hostile and intimidating e-mails sent from person-to-person can be legally construed as "cyber-stalking!)

You can express any logical or emotional like or dislike of the inscribed person-on-a-screen.

That is not the same as making a physical gesture of affection or hostility.

I am going to have to write a post about "signs and meanings...."

It's time for SYG to consider semiotics....
It's a terrible thing ... living in fear." (Roy - hunted replicant. "Blade Runner.")

Rob

Touche!

Hey, pass the spliff you hog!

Sir Percy

Yes, Roy. it is only words on a screen. Even just electrons. And they can do no harm. Or can they? There is an extremely small but non-zero chance that, through a Quantum Mecahnical process know as tunneling, that this computer screen and its message may spontaneously disappear from its present location and reappear at random in any place in the universe, including your next-door neighbor's water closet or even that of another reader/contributor to this board.  The writer will not be liable for any damages or inconveniences that may result.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

Sir Percy

Dr. E.
You might want to check with your trusty steed and ask him if he thinks you might be acting a bit on the chivalrous side

Ask my Steed!!. Are you stark raving mad, Sir. Whoever met a horse that talks! If he could, I would not be poor :D

dr e

Speaking of rules Roy, your final warning was given here:

http://standyourground.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7503&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

You might want to check it out very soon.  I offered you a chance to edit if you would like to stick with us.  If not, your choice.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Gerard Velthuis

By her efforts to clean up the mess she has left she has in fact gathered a good deal of respect from the members here who see her efforts as being an indication that she wants to communicate

Plz, you are giving her way too much credit now.

1) she wanted to leave after all those empty promises she made (because of her job that "suddenly" took so much more time)

2) then she realized she was being mocked because she left while she said she would look up all kinds of things

3) she didn't want to leave like that and leave like a "sucker"

4) she came back to look up some things she promised (even though she still hasn't looked up nearly everything, plus now she says that she can't find certain things anymore)

To me she simply tries to protect her image. She knew she couldn't leave like that, and after all the mocking, and people trashing her image because of that, she had no choice but to come back and come back at her previous promises.

Ikanneg doesn't want to communicate. She doesn't believe in the things we believe in. She is a feminist. Her contribution here will help us nothing.
The board would be just as well off without her.

Plz don't believe that she is actually here to "communicate"
She couldn't care less about our beliefs and thoughts
t is time men start behaving like men again and stand up for their rights, instead of behaving like conformist push-overs.

SIAM

Regarding  friendships etc - I have to say I use this site purely as a debating platform and a place to swap ideas.  Sure, you could say I get to know some members as they post more and more, and even "like" some members and "dislike" members but I don't really invest too much attachment to the posters here - either liking or disliking - I surely can like and dislike what they say - that much is true.  I don't like lkanneg's method of debating (avoiding admitting problems with feminism and the hypocracies of the idealism she believes in)....but, I'm guessing I'd get along fine with lkanneg in real life as we'd have far more chance of talking about non-feminist issues than feminist ones (which we often disagree on) and she does come across as a knowledgable woman with a sense of humour too.  In fact, this is something we should not forget: when we disagree online, let's not take it personally - if we were to meet in real life, we'd share jokes a lot more, read the body language of the person in front of us, and surely chat about all kinds of things, not just contentious issues. I think I'm fairly humourless on this site and I think most could describe me as quite angry, but that's really down to the topics I comment on and how I feel about them.  We only really see a snapshot of each poster here.

lkanneg

Quote from: "sethay"
Maybe I am naive, but I do not understand how this thread could at all be trashing Ikanneg.  It is asking her to discuss a subject and hopefully prevent the discussion from fading into other people bickering, which often happens with good debate on any discussion board.  

I also do not understand why she would refuse this offer.  It would be a thread in which she could present her views clearly, with only one other person presenting a counter argument.  I hate to say it, but maybe she is avoiding this because she would be forced to defend her statements?  When there is only one person asking limited questions, you must respond to all questions and back up your statements.  When there are tons of people asking you tons of questions, you can pick and choose to which questions you would like to respond.

No--I just have a lot more fun when I'm discussing things with more than one person--when it's just one on one, the discussion often narrows down to an insanely fine point, often one solely revolving around the preferred semantics of one person vs. another--not very interesting or informative! and the main concept tends to get lost.  More than two keeps the subject itself alive and provides better dynamics (I think).

BUT too many people is just as bad as too few, you are right about that.  How bout we limit this thread to just the people who have already posted on it?
quot;Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

"Something which we think is impossible now is not impossible in another decade."
-- Constance Baker Motley

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."
--Janis Joplin

lkanneg

Quote from: "Gerard Velthuis"

1) she wanted to leave after all those empty promises she made (because of her job that "suddenly" took so much more time)

I wish bluegrass was here, he'd understand my pain...the FDA dropped in for a visit and those of you who don't work in the pharmaceutical industry, have NO IDEA what this means, professionally speaking.   I can knock out short posts that don't require much thought.  But that's about it for now.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

"Something which we think is impossible now is not impossible in another decade."

--Janis Joplin

lkanneg

Quote from: "Sir Percy"
Yes, Roy. it is only words on a screen. Even just electrons. And they can do no harm. Or can they? There is an extremely small but non-zero chance that, through a Quantum Mecahnical process know as tunneling, that this computer screen and its message may spontaneously disappear from its present location and reappear at random in any place in the universe, including your next-door neighbor's water closet or even that of another reader/contributor to this board.  The writer will not be liable for any damages or inconveniences that may result.

:lol: :daman:
--Eleanor Roosevelt

--Janis Joplin

hereandthere

ok
LISTEN UP!
no one posts here until ikanneg posts her viewpoint on the subject at hand. pls i don't want this to become 20 pages before she actually has the time to type out her real response.
-----
Hate groups...

-Advocates lesser rights in law for the target group

-Propagates discrimination against the target group

-Teaches that the target group is inherently inferior and immoral

-Teaches that the target group is a threat

-Uses lies including historical revisionism to spread these views

-Tolerates violence towards the target group
----
hen I feel at peace: If you listen carefully to the sky, you can hear the voices of Heaven praising me...

Go Up