Stand Your Ground Forums > Main

A really great photo

<< < (5/5)

TerryGale:
http://try2regale.blogspot.com/2005/12/tom-cats-nurse-kittens.html
I just blogged a weird Russian news story about a tom-cat nursing his kittens...  Can there be any possible truth to it?  I'm always skeptical about the Russian stories...

http://funreports.com/fun/15-12-2005/1311-cat-0
--- Quote ---Male cat breast-feeds kittens
2005/12/15

In the village of Novopokrovka of the Tumen region of Russia, a strange phenomenon has been discovered. A tom-cat called Barsik has been looking after kittens on his own. But that's not all. The strangest thing is that the heroic father "breast-feeds" them. When Barsik's "girlfriend" died, his owners decided to take the kittens. When the kittens were brought, Barsick accepted them and began to feed them right away. And the cat's masters are totally sure that Barsik has milk.

Veterinarians have read of these kinds of cases in special literature but they have never seen anything like that in real life. So it's great luck for them to come across a nursing tom-cat. According to Svetlana Beletskaya, the assistant at the local surgery department, the tom-cat might, genetically, have female signs. Both the pet's masters and the professionals have decided that since he has "adopted" the babies, it would be wiser to let him nurse them.
--- End quote ---

neoteny:

--- Quote ---But Anne Innis Dagg, of the University of Waterloo, argues that the studies of primates and lions, from which such behaviour is often extrapolated, are seriously flawed.
--- End quote ---

Professor Anne Innis Dagg has a Ph.D. in biology and teaches at the University of Waterloo. She is author of The Feminine Gaze and MisEducation: Women & Canadian Universities.

Interview excerpt:

I wanted desparately to become a professor because I loved teaching, but even after publishing many scientific papers and earning a doctorate, I wasn't able to land a permanent job at a university. At the time many departments refused to hire women. In fact, at one local university, the dean of science told me he would never give a permanent job to a married woman--after all she had a husband to support her. This contempt for women enraged me. Universities were willing to train women for their doctorates but not willing to hire them. So for many years I became a feminist activist, working to force universities to hire on merit, not on sex. This destroyed my hope of finding a university job (who wants to emply a trouble-maker?) until at last I was hired by students of the Independent Studies program at the University of Waterloo as a resource person. I am currently a part-time academic advisor and teacher, even though I'm technically retired.

typhonblue:

--- Quote from: "neoteny" ---In fact, at one local university, the dean of science told me he would never give a permanent job to a married woman--after all she had a husband to support her.
--- End quote ---

Actually I've reconsidered-- so her opinions that males have been given a bad rap as evil child killers should be ignored because she has feminist leanings?

neoteny:

--- Quote from: "typhonblue" ---[...] so her opinions that males have been given a bad rap as evil child killers should be ignored because she has feminist leanings?
--- End quote ---

No; but her argument "that the studies of primates and lions, from which such behaviour is often extrapolated, are seriously flawed" should be viewed in light of her admitted ideological leanings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version