Stand Your Ground Forums > Main

Response to Mr. Bad re: Farrell, Koss, and Archer

<< < (7/29) > >>

dr e:
I also had a quick look at the 87 Koss article and have a few observations.  

One of the first things that struck me was that the questions were indeed asked of both men and women though we never hear a peep about men who have been raped.  It looked like it was usually about 4-1 women to men in frequency of reported rape/coercion etc but you never hear a thing about the men who are victims.  Why is that?

Another troublesome observation was that all of the questions having to do with rape and sexual assault, coercion etc were all directly addressed to women!  Even though these were given to men to answer the questions said something like "Have you ever had a man do this or that to you."  Perhaps they adjusted the questionairre and the ones the men filled out had questions specifically about women perps but there was no reference to this that I saw so my assumption is that the men was asked questions that were worded specifically for women.  Very odd and very much a contaminating problem is this is correct.

From the little I have read by Koss prior to this it seems that she has some fairly strong ideas about men and masculinity.  I wholeheartedly agree with Mr X that asking her to do a research study on rape would be like asking Bush to do a study on weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.  They both seem to have a vested interest in the outcome.  I prefer researchers who seek a balanced understanding of an issue.  I don't think that Koss could be accused of that.

Mr. Bad:

--- Quote from: "Dr Evil" ---I also had a quick look at the 87 Koss article and have a few observations.  

One of the first things that struck me was that the questions were indeed asked of both men and women though we never hear a peep about men who have been raped.  It looked like it was usually about 4-1 women to men in frequency of reported rape/coercion etc but you never hear a thing about the men who are victims.  Why is that?
--- End quote ---

Well E., that's because the investigators were not measuring sexual victimization of men.  Despite the gender-neutral title of the article, the study assumed that all victims were women and all perps were men.  Thus, the discrepancies both of us noted between women's vs. men's reporting reflect answers to different questions.  See my comments below.

--- Quote from: "Dr Evil" ---Another troublesome observation was that all of the questions having to do with rape and sexual assault, coercion etc were all directly addressed to women!  Even though these were given to men to answer the questions said something like "Have you ever had a man do this or that to you."  Perhaps they adjusted the questionairre and the ones the men filled out had questions specifically about women perps but there was no reference to this that I saw so my assumption is that the men was asked questions that were worded specifically for women.  Very odd and very much a contaminating problem is this is correct.
--- End quote ---

Actually E., the women were asked questions worded specifically for victims while the men were asked questions worded specifically for perps.  From the article:

--- Quote from: "Koss, et al." ---This survey is a selfreport instrument designed to reflect various degrees of sexual aggression and victimization. During actual administration, separate wordings were used for women and for men. However, for purposes of demonstration, the female wording is presented in the following sample item and the male wording is indicated in brackets: "Have you ever had [engaged in] sexual intercourse when you [the woman] didn't want to because a man [you] used some degree of physical force (twisting your [her] arm, holding you [her] down, etc.) to make you [her]?" The text of all 10 items (female wording) can be found in Table 3, which is discussed further in the results section
--- End quote ---

Thus, a priori women were assumed to be victims and men perps.  The study was designed with this outcome as a given.

--- Quote from: "Dr Evil" ---From the little I have read by Koss prior to this it seems that she has some fairly strong ideas about men and masculinity.  I wholeheartedly agree with Mr X that asking her to do a research study on rape would be like asking Bush to do a study on weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.  They both seem to have a vested interest in the outcome.  I prefer researchers who seek a balanced understanding of an issue.  I don't think that Koss could be accused of that.
--- End quote ---

From what I've seen in this article, I couldn't agree more.

dr e:
Thanks Mr Bad.  I sure did mix that one up.  I thought that they were asking the same questions to both the men and the women.  How progressive!  No such luck.  As you point out the women got the victim questionaire and the men got the perp questionaire.  My bad.      :bawling:

Mr. Bad:

--- Quote from: "Dr Evil" ---Thanks Mr Bad.  I sure did mix that one up.  I thought that they were asking the same questions to both the men and the women.  How progressive!  No such luck.  As you point out the women got the victim questionaire and the men got the perp questionaire.  My bad.      :bawling:
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's the feminist idea of "equality."  Either that or being presumed guilty until proven innocent is more of that 'male privilege' we keep hearing about.  

I know, I know - just like the Devil, the 'Patriarchy' made me do it!   ;)

dr e:
Do you know of any studies that ask the exact same questions to men?  I would be curious to see the responses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version