The Year of "Yes"

Started by powder-monkey, Jan 10, 2006, 05:04 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

powder-monkey

This is an article from the Telegraph about Maria Headley, whose new book chronicles her year of saying "yes" to any man (or woman) who asked her out - over 150 in a twelve month period - as a kind of shock therapy for her love-life.  

Quote:
Like many dispirited single women, Maria Headley feared that her taste in men was sabotaging her quest for love. The bookish, intellectual types she favoured
seemed to offer nothing but awkward coffee dates and graceless passes - never romance, nor the spark she craved.

And what has to be my favorite passage from the article...  
Quote:
There were plenty of unsettling moments, Headley admits. One was the date with "the Boxer", who asked her to meet him in a strip club. He disappeared for
a lap dance, before taking Headley home with him. "I so wanted him to be a better person than he was," says Headley. "But he was just not very nice."

jackd1701

150 dates!  I guess this could be called female privilege. If I said yes to all the women that have asked me out over the past decade, I would have enough fingers on my hands to count them and still have fingers left over.  This despite the fact that I am a good looking and intelligent men if I can say so myself :)

This reminds me a bit of a woman friend of mine who use to complain about how shallow men were because they never asked her out.  I always found it hard to believe her, but for the longest time I never disputed her story.  One day however, she made that same comment, then less than a minute later she told me that her and her girlfriends were going to a gay club.  I found that weird so I asked her why they were going to a gay club.  She replied that they like going to gay clubs because there they don't have to worry about guys trying to pick them up all the time.  I was able to put 2 + 2 together and pointed out to her that if she is complaining about guys never approaching her, then how is that she needs to go to a gay club to stop guys from approaching her.  She had real problems answering that one, the only answer she was able to come up with after some time was that those guys did not count because she was not interested in them.

This is one of the big reasons why I can't take the Maureen Dows of the world seriously when they say that men don't go after smart women.  These types of women often have more than their shares of opportunities to meet men, but rejects large number of them based on superficial reason.
ive long and prosper

TerryGale

Is this the 2006 reincarnation of "All men are dogs?"  It would seem as if as soon as one incarnation of the "men are dogs" theme is quashed, another crops up elsewhere...  

There was the Wendy Diamond book in 2004... The National Post link has long since died...  She was the one who dated 120+ men.  
"I always said men are like dogs, the difference is, I love my dog," said Ms. Diamond, author of What a Lucky Dog! How to Understand Men Through Their Dogs.

She dated four men "per breed" in researching the book. "I think it's very odd that guys choose dogs that are overwhelmingly similar to them," she said yesterday from New York City.

Her book describes more than 30 breeds from "Poodle men" to "Dober-men Pinschers."

At 31, Ms. Diamond is single and says her quest for "the perfect man through dating" led her to discover the similarities between men and their dogs.

She owns a white Maltese and unabashedly describes it as the breed of choice for the "regal, charming and popular."

The book divides the traits of each breed into personality, "bad dog" habits and "new tricks" they will need to be taught for a relationship to work.

The Bernese Mountain dog is a "calm, loyal and sensitive man who loves the great outdoors," she writes, likes daily exercise and manual labour, but "doesn't survive very well in urban and city apartment dwellings." The Bulldog is not the most handsome man to collar but makes up for it with his sense of humour. Men who own Chihuahuas can be high strung and nervous, while Collie owners do not like being left alone.

Ms. Diamond recommends women take the book to the dog park, sit on a bench and wait for a guy to walk by with his four-legged friend. "She can look at what kind of dog he has and say, 'Do I want this kind of guy in my life?' "

She claims her dog personality matching system is "99% accurate."

But what about men who do not own dogs? "If he doesn't like dogs, he's got an issue. I wouldn't even go near him," she says. "If he just doesn't have one, you better hope he doesn't have the time or a big enough apartment."

Her book was released in the United States last week, and she is going on a 15-city tour with an event called "Yappy Hour," a singles party for people with dogs. If an attendee does not own a dog, they will be available for rent from the Humane Society.

For those already in relationships, she has included some "instructive training tips, so you will become the master of your relationship."

"Does your Golden Retriever man jump all over you in public? Are you tired of cleaning up Mr. Cocker Spaniel's clothes from the floor, back of a chair, end of the bed?" she asks.

The training tips have been a huge success, she says, and have helped her maintain better relationships.

"No tricks without treats," she names as the guiding principle. "Men have it too easy. Keep them on a short leash at the beginning."

The strategy has not found Ms. Diamond a new best friend, despite the copious doggy dates she endured for her research.

"I'm still single, so I don't know what to tell you," she laughs. "There aren't enough mutts out there."
I guess she faded back into her role as editor of Animal Fair magazine...  Something tells me this "men are dogs" theme is destined to come up at least once a year...  I just remembered...  Last week a Japanese official told Japanese people to reproduce like dogs because their birthrate is dwindling - and this is the year of the dog... :roll:

Rob

I wonder what Ms Diamond thinks of men who own dogs who hump her leg?

Sir Percy

She keeps them on a lead. She would likely prevent them humping but let them yank occasionally.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

The Biscuit Queen

She owns a white Maltese and unabashedly describes it as the breed of choice for the "regal, charming and popular."

Try spoiled, pampered and stubborn.

But what about men who do not own dogs? "If he doesn't like dogs, he's got an issue. I wouldn't even go near him," she says. "If he just doesn't have one, you better hope he doesn't have the time or a big enough apartment."

As a dog lover, she is wrong. Not all women like dogs either. I personally would never be attracted to someone who did not on some level like dogs, but that is me. I know people who are cat people, or just not pet people, who get along  fine.

"No tricks without treats," she names as the guiding principle. "Men have it too easy. Keep them on a short leash at the beginning."

The strategy has not found Ms. Diamond a new best friend, despite the copious doggy dates she endured for her research.

"I'm still single, so I don't know what to tell you," she laughs. "There aren't enough mutts out there."

No tricks without treats is spoiling-we wean off this as soon as possible. Not only is she a bigot, but she is getting her metaphors wrong.

Gee, she is still single? One, why am I not suprised, two, who the hell is she to write a book when she too is failing. Maybe she is ...*gasp*...wrong?
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Sir Percy

Wrong, BQ?? Good Lord. If she admits that word into her consciousness who knows what danger we might all be in. She have us all on the clicker in next to no time:D
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

The Biscuit Queen

I wouldn't trust her with a clicker.   :wink:
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

Mr. X

Quote from: "jackd1701"
150 dates!  I guess this could be called female privilege. If I said yes to all the women that have asked me out over the past decade, I would have enough fingers on my hands to count them and still have fingers left over.  This despite the fact that I am a good looking and intelligent men if I can say so myself :)

I find that to be a bit suspicious myself and it sounds more like bragging rights than anything else. Most women don't get asked out 150 times.

Also, I'd love to see the flip side of this. I'd love to see the story of a guy dating 150 women. I know a guy who was an ex male stripper and he easily had this number of dates and with some pretty hot girls. He ALWAYS had at least one new girl a week. Ironically he's now gay. Maybe that says something.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

hurkle

Note that she dated many women as well.
: How many feminists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: THAT'S NOT FUNNY!

Go Up