previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Tigerman

Full book title and author =
"Women Who Make the World Worse : and How Their Radical Feminist Assault Is
Ruining Our Schools, Families, Military, and Sports (Hardcover)"
by Kate O'Beirne

This book is no 39 in the bestsellers list yet HUNDREDS of 'reviewers' have
flocked to the US Amazon site to give the book the lowest possible rating!
Most of the 'reviews' are very short (1 or 2 sentences) and most are also
FIRST TIME REVIEWERS, also notable is that again most of these highly
negative reviews have appeared only in the last couple of days. :evil:
It is clear that a clarion call has gone out for the 'sistahood' to slate
this book - what better reason could there be to BUY this book (which btw
*I* have just done!).

Don't believe me or think I'm seeing a 'feminist conspiracy' where none
exists?
Well then check out the reviews for yourself here:

LINK

P.S. Well done Dr. E of SYG who wrote an excellent review which also exposed the obvious feminist networking that is being employed to give the book the lowest possible rating!

(edited to fix link, dr e)

CaptDMO

Certainly not the first time that the review segment at Amazon has been used
as an ideology forum by folks who have been given a list of books to
piss on withoout reading them.

Once again I see "similarly" worded opinions. This time, instead of one poster
bashing several (clearly unread) books of a certain theme there are several
"first  time for this account" posts.

Granted, there are reviews from "the usual suspects", but many of them that
I can see are of the usual name callling and "Oh yeah, well your a big  poopy head" variety, as opposed to actually saying something.

I wonder what the Amazon policy on such clearly "seeded" reviews are?
I wonder if that book review forum can continue to expect any legitimacy?

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon Inc. is a place to get used books cheap.
I generally buy/order  from my three local bookstores as they can find
exactly what I'm looking for. In a reasonable desire to sell another book  or two the folks that work there also chat up other
simular/same author/ or even directly critical books, but its clear to me they actually have a qualified opinion.  
I only go there if I have a book in mind, I CERTAINLY DO NOT browse there. I find the "folks who looked at this ALSO looked at..." feature fairly useless.

dr e

In a way the fems at amazon remind me of the book burning nazis.  Complete intolerance of any thinking that differs from their own and a sense of righteousness in doling out punishment for anyone who dares differ.  And they wonder why people call them feminazis?
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

woof

282 reviews..... :shock:  must have hit a cord......ahh the truth hurts, and the pain is apparent at amazon!  :wink:
Even a whole village can't replace dad, children need both parents.

Mr. X

Quote from: "woof"
282 reviews..... :shock:  must have hit a cord......ahh the truth hurts, and the pain is apparent at amazon!  :wink:

Yes that's the real key I look for. If the book really did suck it would get one or two bad reviews and die in obscurity. But when it gets flooded with bad reviews, that's an obvious sign someone is trying to shut it up. These bad reviewers are making the book even more valuable.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

GregA

My thoughts on this havent fully gelled yet, so please bear with the rantyness...

I am a liberal, and a Democrat, but...

That reaction, is why the Democratic party is pretty much defunct now days.  Two years ago, as is now, it is why we lost the presidental election.

At the core of the typical Democratic activist is a selfish entitlement that trumps all issues.  Me, Me! ME! They cried.  What about my issue!  

And so, they plodded on, in the year of a war (any many other issues), that many, if not most people felt was unjust, they advanced...  Of all things...

Gay Marriage...

Couldn't they wait a single year?  Now the issue is lost forever, agree with it or not...

And its happening again...

Here, men have very legitmate issues, however those issues interfere with the majority of democrats orthodoxy.  Elective third trimester abortion on demand without apology they cried!  Husbands should have no say in their paternity even if its misattributed they screamed!  And they take the bait again, rather than take on the Republicans on serious, meaningful issues, like war and seperation of power, they spearhead their movement with decidely unpopular views.  

I found this just now...
http://www.alternet.org/story/30487

"Geov Parrish: Is George Bush in political trouble? And if so, why?

Noam Chomsky: George Bush would be in severe political trouble if there were an opposition political party in the country. Just about every day, they're shooting themselves in the foot. The striking fact about contemporary American politics is that the Democrats are making almost no gain from this. The only gain that they're getting is that the Republicans are losing support. Now, again, an opposition party would be making hay, but the Democrats are so close in policy to the Republicans that they can't do anything about it. When they try to say something about Iraq, George Bush turns back to them, or Karl Rove turns back to them, and says, "How can you criticize it? You all voted for it." And, yeah, they're basically correct."

So once again, this fall, it will be the same...

My message to democrats is this (although i doubt it will be heard in this forum) If you guys cant drop your selfish entitlement issues, and you think Roberts and Alito were bad, just wait until next year, when Stephens or Ginsberg resign or die...

Tigerman

To GregA
I agree it must be a bad time to be a democrat if you're a man. Trouble is it is not so good to be a republican either again if you're a man. What has the repubs done for men given that Bush is now well into his second term. Not much and no real sign that things are about to get any better.
Same scenario in the UK where the Tory (Conservative) party have just elected a new leader of the opposition - who is more concerned about getting more women into parliament than he is about doing something to restore the massive erosion in fathers rights!!
In the USA and the UK there is NO viable home for an MRA's vote aside from tactical protest voting!

Mr. X

GregA-

I applaud your honesty. I used to be a big liberal and voted democrat in almost every election. 911 changed my mind specifically when NOW sued the disaster relief fund and when Stienem blamed all white men for 911. Clinton didn't help either. It was pounded into my head for nearly 2 decades that sexual harrassment was bad yet when Clinton did his thing, NOW was silent or defended him.

I also hear you on the dems and reps. Even talk show hosts like Rush laughs at how easy it would be for a serious party to squash Bush. Bush and the republicans shoot themselves in the foot nearly every day yet the dems focus on fringe things like gay marriage, global warming or ALWAYS abortion.

Dems could clean up so easily. Stop the victim status, stop the entitlement, use logical arguements etc and they could win. The budget is a grand example. Focus on paying down the budget and stop spending.

But the dems seem run by their fringe elements and alienating their core, solid people like you.

Again I applaud you for wanting to look at your own party for its flaws. Thats the kind of analysis that will win the day for dems, not the ripping and name calling they are doing now.
Feminists - "Verbally beating men like dumb animals or ignoring them is all we know and its not working."

Thomas

Feminism is finally dying the death that it has long deserved, and the closer they get to the end, the louder the harpies screach. It's fun to watch.

I suspect that Wymyn's Studies classes have given an assignment to give the book a poor rating. Here's one of the reviews in entirety:
This book is mindless drivel, clearly written without any sophisticated thought about feminism, or schools family and the military for that matter. Avoid it like the plague that it is.

Sounds like a doctoral thesis in Wymyn's Studies, and I don't mean part of the thesis, I mean the whole thing.

I've got my copy, I'm going to ask the local libraries to order copies, and I'll recommend the book to friends, provided I like the book as much when I finish it as I do now that I've started it.

And GregA, I have never voted for a Republican, in most cases I've voted for Democrats, though a few times I've voted for independents. Until recently. In the 2004 election, I voted almost straight Libertarian, partly as a protest but also because I believe in a lot of what they stand for. It seems to me that they truly are for smaller government and that, given that stance, they might start to actually pay down our disastrous fiscal deficit through a reduction in government expenses. Anyway, the Democrats have lost any allegiance that I ever felt for them because they've been taken over by radical fringe elements.
We Are Self-Exterminating Through The Collapse Of Fertility Rates.
The Death of Birth.
Fertility Rates Magazine.

jaketk

I left my own review there. Funny thing is all those people who posted, especially those who didn't even bother to read the book, just demonstrated the exact type of feminism O'Beirne was talking about.

GregA

Tigerman,

One of the many observations during the Katrina debacle in New Orleans was that the refugees, were overwhelmingly...  here it comes...

Single Mothers...

I don't excuse Bush's inaction in any way shape or form.  But when Democrat activists try to say Bush let New Orleans happen because he doesn't care about African American single mothers, well...  Lets just say, I don't think it was helpful.  Bush did plenty wrong whithout having to resort to that type rhetoric.

I hate to play a political game with a disaster, say for instance the way Republicans played 9/11, but trying to attribute New Orleans to anything other than an ineffective executive (as well as many many other governmental policy factors) was playing that game.  The splitscreen of Bush pretending to play a guitar while people were drowning in the streets of New Orleans was statement enough IMO.

When they tried to make it an issue of, we dont give Single Mothers enough welfare, or the stream of false allegations of rape and child molestation coming out of the superdome, well they lost me.

I mean really, there was enough there to play the politics blame game, but tried adding gender politics onto it???  Really?  I think at the end of the day, the gender activists were Bushs best allies, because they minimized even satarized all the actual malfeasance that actualy was (and still is) occuring.

And again, this last week during the Alito hearings...  They focused on Abortion, even though there were much worse things in Alito's record.  As though Roe v Wade was even in jeopardy (Im sorry repubs, but you have been gamed on this is well, Roe has been too good of a performer for the Republican party for them to give it up) ...

Back to the topic of this thread...  The Amazon 'reviews' of this book.  

Al Franken pointed out one day...  How do you know you have won an argument?  When they get angry...

Not one of the one star reviews (I ordered the book btw) mentioned what seems to be one of the books central thesis's, yes there is a gender gap in the republican party, it however is not as big as the Democratic parties gender gap with men...

As a MRA, I can say, I dont want to see women in the kitchen and barefoot and pregnant(unless they want to be), I want to see women be less hypersensitive (read bitchy) on a host of issues.

In the article I posted about Noam Chomsky, it seemed he stopped just short of saying it.  Washington DC democrats distance themselves from the activists, because they have to.  That makes them look like Republican lite.

Mr. X

Quote from: "GregA"

Al Franken pointed out one day...  How do you know you have won an argument?  When they get angry...

That right there is why liberals won't get voted for or respected with that kind of mentallity. I could get anyone mad if I acted nonsensical enough and played enough mind and word games. In fact, this is usually what I get when discussing issues with a lot of left of liberal people. They don't discuss, they yank your chain. And now I see why. They think they win if they piss you off.

Tigerman

GregA
There are MRA's that are inclined towards the Repubs and MRA's that are inclined towards the Dems (with a smattering for other partys that have currently little hope of getting election victories). The same again is true in the UK (read 'New Labour' for the Dems and the Conservative party for the Repubs). Fact is that men are betrayed by these mainstream party's and will continue to be so as long as politicians perceive that pandering to a feminist 'politically correct' agenda is going to be a vote gainer for them. After some thought even that view is naive because politicians have it in their power to disabuse the public of the numerous fallacies and lies that feminism has promoted and is indeed based upon. The fact that politicians have done very little to disabuse the public tells me that the feminist agenda is in some way USEFULL for them in perhaps ways that they have no intention of making explicit. Certainly the 'Rockafellas' of this world have no doubt profited from having the available work force pool massively expanded by the feminist encouragement for women to put carreer FIRST in their lives but I am sure there are other reasons too.
Now getting back to the topic - on the positive side at least this book has been PUBLISHED - you may have heard about another author called Erin Pizzey who wrote about her experiences in womens shelters (she founded the first shelter for 'abused' women in the world back in the early 70's) and because she wrote candidly (i.e the TRUTH) she fell foul of radical feminists here in the UK - she ended up having her life threatened and her book was actually BANNED for 15 years - the same amount of time that she felt forced to live in exile outside the UK. Now that feminisms stranglehold on publishing isn't as strong as it once was - we are now seeing 'heads above the parapet' and the nasty vicious nature of their tactics is there for all those not already brainwashed to see.
BTW - I just visited the US amazon site for the book just now and top of all the reviews (at time of this posting) was a one star review posted on Jan 10th 2006 it has no less than 1898 out of 2032 who claim to find that review 'helpfull'!!!!
True enough the 'review' is far longer than the vast majority of the other one star reviews but when the last line is "Don't waste your money. Maureen Dowd, Gloria Steinem, and Patricia Ireland are much more insightful, honest--and humorous." you just KNOW the reviewer is talking right out of their ARSE!

Thomas

If you want to see an example of the organized attack on this book, take a look at this page at DemocraticUnderground.com. The author of the opening diatribe shares the following insight regarding the early reviews, many of which were apparently positive:
These lickspittle reviews have very obviously been Freeped:
--of the 16 sycophants (early positive reviewers), definitely 9 and probably 13 are men

OMG! A number of the reviewers were men. AAAAK! YUK!! VOMIT!!!

The screed goes on to exhort readers to rate the reviews even if they haven't read the book.

I wonder if this publicity will help sell copies of the book. The attacks have ensured that I'll put more effort into getting individuals and libraries to buy it.
We Are Self-Exterminating Through The Collapse Of Fertility Rates.
The Death of Birth.
Fertility Rates Magazine.

woof

Quote from: "Thomas"
If you want to see an example of the organized attack on this book, take a look at this page at DemocraticUnderground.com. The author of the opening diatribe shares the following insight regarding the early reviews, many of which were apparently positive:
These lickspittle reviews have very obviously been Freeped:
--of the 16 sycophants (early positive reviewers), definitely 9 and probably 13 are men

OMG! A number of the reviewers were men. AAAAK! YUK!! VOMIT!!!

The screed goes on to exhort readers to rate the reviews even if they haven't read the book.

I wonder if this publicity will help sell copies of the book. The attacks have ensured that I'll put more effort into getting individuals and libraries to buy it.

With all of the press this book is getting, it's going to be a must have book within a week!  :D
Even a whole village can't replace dad, children need both parents.

Go Up