All Female Garage

Started by Virtue, Jan 24, 2006, 06:34 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Rob

Quote from: "johnnyp"
From what I can gather from the article, the funding for the project is private.  If that assumption is true - I am happy.

You noticed that little line too? All women does not seem to include the man who owns, organized and financed the project - something that got lost along the way? Perhaps as we were listening to the feminist anthem.

Wookie

Dr E wrote:
They would complain to the boss or whisper to their friends but never once did I see one of them call someones cards openly

This I can agree on (in my experince) We have just had a situration like this where I work, once everybody come out in the open there was no real problem, but the whispers in the corner etc, made the office a very tense and unpleasent working enviroment for the last 2 weeks, But I must say I was just as guilty as I didn't confront them about the whispering in corners, in my defence, I am out numbered here.

But again this is just my experince. (I hate making generalizations as I hate being on the end of them)

Wookie
he Light That Burns Twice As Bright Burns Half As Long - Blade Runner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

devia

But again this is just my experince. (I hate making generalizations as I hate being on the end of them)

Me too.

I'm in commisioned retail sales, my last gig was about 70% male and this one out of 20 or so of us there is one other woman. I can't believe there is a more "catty" profession outside of real estate.  Play friends by day, screw you over any chance they'll get. It's all relative.

Wookie

Devia,

I did 6 months as an estate agent, then had to get out, male or female the so called friend sitting next to you would screw you over for a sale as soon as you turned your back, was not right for me, I got the hell out quick.

Wookie
he Light That Burns Twice As Bright Burns Half As Long - Blade Runner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

FP

M Malige believes that the garage is likely to be a success. "I think a lot of people might instinctively trust a woman more. And perhaps female customers will feel more at ease with someone who doesn't treat them like a dumb blonde who doesn't understand anything," he said.

Comedy Gold.  :lol:  Somehow I just don't see that good ol' tried and tested stereotype of bad mechanics being destroyed by grease monkeys in a pair of tight overalls. Those women will get tired of bitchy (male or female) customers soon enough.

Also, this reminds me of the news clip awhile back about the female design team at Volvo or Saab where they made a car that could only have its hood opened at a dealership with a special tool because women just didnt want to be bothered with all that mechanical junk I guess.

MacKenzie

A BEAUTICIAN and two former air hostesses are among 15 women selected to work in France's first garage run by women, which is being hailed as the solution for a car industry that is having trouble finding male mechanics clever enough to understand its high-tech vehicles.

A BEAUTICIAN?

It sound like somebody was watching the movie "My Cousin Vinny" when they came up with this...    :lol:
FEMINISM IS A CULT THAT TRIES TO MAKE BOTH SEXES EQUAL BY FOCUSING SOLELY ON ONE OF THEM

Men's Rights Activist

"After a 22-month course they will form a team that will take over a local garage. "There are a lot of women who are interested in this profession," said Hervé Malige, director of the Base 34 Training Centre in Montpellier, which is running the course."

I hope they aren't planning on becoming pregnant after a few years.  Given the large number of automotive fluids that are carcinogenic and seep through the skin, I suspect those factors could add to birth defects  in such women.  At least the number of men dying of cancer from working in that field would go down, when the government bends over backwards to save the poor women.  Sure, a person can wear neoprene or some other suitable gloves, but not in all circumstances, and many don't because of the lack of tactile ability in disassembling/assembling parts in a timely manner.  

Interesting how this article knocks men for not having the ability to deal with the complexity of new automotive designs and then jumps to women as the solution - even before they've demonstrated any work performance in the work area in question.  Yea, no bias there.  Men have been doing the automotive work for decades and now we've suddenly become incompetent?  That's just pure b.s.  I saw a woman working on her car in the parking lot of an automotive store.  Not an uncommon site, but uncommon in that it was a woman.  She had it up on a hydraulic jack (way up) and was under it without the support of jack stands.  It was even leaning a bit to one side.  I wanted to help her, but resisted the urge.  "She may learn," I thought, "if she lives."  You go girl.  Get on down into that risky "glass cellar."
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

Men's Rights Activist

"They won't take time to explain it to me."

I don't know too many French people who get into long discussions with other people who can't speak a word of French.  Why bother explaining something to someone who doesn't speak the language or even know how to ask intelligent questions pertaining to the technical topic at hand?  After a mechanic explains a situtation in laymens terms it is insulting to then expect them go into a long unpaid, technical explanation that an unqualified observer won't even understand.

That being said, my mechanic does talk to me and answer my knowledgable questions.  Why, because I ask the right questions, having done most the work in his field in my youth.
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

jaketk

A BEAUTICIAN and two former air hostesses are among 15 women selected to work in France's first garage run by women, which is being hailed as the solution for a car industry that is having trouble finding male mechanics clever enough to understand its high-tech vehicles.

what the hell does that even mean? men are clever enough to design them and build them, but not fix them?

Mr. Bad

Quote from: "Men's Rights Activist"
I hope they aren't planning on becoming pregnant after a few years.  Given the large number of automotive fluids that are carcinogenic and seep through the skin, I suspect those factors could add to birth defects  in such women.  At least the number of men dying of cancer from working in that field would go down, when the government bends over backwards to save the poor women.  Sure, a person can wear neoprene or some other suitable gloves, but not in all circumstances, and many don't because of the lack of tactile ability in disassembling/assembling parts in a timely manner.  

I agree. The only time workplace safety issues - or health and safety issue in general - ever seemed to get addressed is when women are at risk.  When it's just men, nothing gets done because we are considered expendable.

Quote from: "Men's Rights Activist"
Interesting how this article knocks men for not having the ability to deal with the complexity of new automotive designs and then jumps to women as the solution - even before they've demonstrated any work performance in the work area in question.  Yea, no bias there.  Men have been doing the automotive work for decades and now we've suddenly become incompetent?  That's just pure b.s.

Yeah, not to mention the fact that it was 'ignorant men' who designed and engineered the cars that those way-smarter-than-men women will be trying to fix.  Uh huh.

Remember a few years back when there were 2 consecutive Mars lander missions that went up in flames, one of which due to the moronic move by the engineers of mixing English and IUPAC (i.e., metric) systems?  At their inception, those two failed missions were hailed as The Women's Missions because they were headed by female engineers.  Once those missions failed spectacularly, the news media buried the women's aspect as deep as they could, they and NASA put men front and center to explain what went wrong and take the blame, and NASA quietly did the right thing and put competant people back in charge; it just so happens those folks were men.  And since then we've had a string of successes again.

I'd just love to see what an all-female team would come up with vis-a-vis a car.
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

Laboratory Mike

Quote from: "jaketk"

what the hell does that even mean? men are clever enough to design them and build them, but not fix them?

Heh, the stuff from my communications class is kicking up right now. For the article, they should have said "... trouble finding enough male mechanics who can understand the new technology." Still biased, but the "shortage of labor" angle would be much better spin than the "all men are idiots" angle. And more accurate.

But it doesn't really matter either way, the assumtion that there aren't enough men around who can fix advanced cars, if true, is more likely because dealers don't want your general mechanics to know how to fix their cars, and thus they wouldn't diserse that information. The influence of computerizing cars is another effect, and if you really want to get into it, bias against men in schools would also produce a shortage of male mechanics. But in a biased article that is unconcerned about why there is a shortage, factors like the ones I came up with don't seem to matter.

Rob

"A Beautician and two former air hostesses are among 15 women selected to work in France's first garage run by women, which is being hailed as the solution for a car industry that is having trouble finding male mechanics clever enough to understand its high-tech vehicles."

---
My father, after being a mechanic for a couple of decades, went on to owning several of his own car dealerships.

Sometimes I used to have to laugh. All of the young hot-shot mechanics who were trained in computer-diagnostics etc could spend hours trying to diagnos a vehicle, checking every stupid little high-tech sensor etc, and not figure it out - then my Dad would walk through the shop and ask them the most simple questions and they would look at him dumbfounded, as he in fact had diagnosed the problem without all the gizmos. He would always shake his head and smile while saying "sometimes you young guys get so carried away with all that computer stuff that you forget that you're still looking at an internal combustion engine - same principle as in 1950."

On a different note, I have no problems with the women trying this one out. I worked in car dealerships a lot over the years and I'll tell you one thing - theres no room for snivelling in a dealership. You get paid only what you produce. Salesman only get paid by commission, Mechanics only get paid on flat rate, Sales/Service/Parts Managers only get paid a percentage of their department's profit. Hey, it's a dog eat dog world and we're all wearing Milkbone Underwear! You have to hustle your ass and perform if you want to eat at the end of the month and nobody really cares about your excuses because they're too busy hustling for their own bread. 9 to 5 doesn't exist!

If they can make it work, power to them - man or woman. Dealerships, however, have a high employee turnover just because of constant pressure business style. There's rarely a need to fire slackers because they will starve themselves pretty fast and go running to a job that will pay them regardless of incompetence. There's lots of pay inequity inside a dealership, a guy making $18,000/yr might be sharing an office with a guy making $75,000/yr - No complaining! Want more money? Work harder!

I would be willing wager that only half to a quarter of these people will still be there in 2 years, and in 5 years there may only be two or three left.

Seems to me this that this son of the dealership owner is trying to get laid, and not trying to set up a viable business. I can't fathom that any successfull Dealership owner would train an entire staff and then let them loose with their own dealership after 2 years. What a waste of training and a waste of money - as I said, I promise more than half will be gone in a couple of years (that goes equal for men or women).

There's something fishy about this article.

Men's Rights Activist

"internal combustion engine - same principle as in 1950."

My Dad use to talk to me with some fondness and some trepidation about the "Model A's and Model T's."   Given the realiability of early autos and my Dad's nostalgic streak, I got to experience the joys of farming with hay burning internal combustion engines known as mules.

Sometimes things change more than we would like them too, and sometimes in the changes for the better (progress), good things are lost forever.

Go Up