Federal Suit Claims Anti-Male School Bias

Started by powder-monkey, Jan 26, 2006, 05:20 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

dr e

Rob- This is what really steams me.  Boy's grades are being lowered due to their organizational skills or their not going along with the program.  I have always felt that the most important factor in grades is whether you learn the material.  If you learn it you pass.  If you learn it very well you get a good grade.  This is not so in our public schools.  If you miss turning in a series of homework assignments you are automatically put into the same category as someone who didn't or couldn't learn the material.  That is crazy.  My daughter turned in all of her assignments and they were all neat and pretty.  She did very well.  My son would lose assignments that he had actually done or forget to turn them in or find some other creative way to not prove that he had actually done the work (most of which he had done) and he was downgraded because of it.  That is bullshit.  I have argued for years with the teachers that if you are going to grade organization it needs to be a separate grade.  Have two grades, one for your grasp of the material and the other for organization.   The important element is whether you learned the material not how much you have kissed ass.  Boys in general have great trouble with the organizational side of things and this is one factor in their grades being less than girls even though their standardized test scores are better than girls.  The system is fooked.  Einstein would have flunked and been bored to tears.

Another thing that research is finding is that the boy's brains are different from the girls.  Girls brains stay "on" all the time they are awake.  Boys brains naturally vascillate from alert states to resting states.  This leaves boys with  periods of time in school where they are basically daydreaming.  They pick up the label of "not paying attention" simply becuase of their unique brain functions.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Sir Percy

I don't like all this 'Girl's brains / boy's brains' stuff. Far too little is barely adequately known about brains and far too much is made of what is 'known'.The differences are marginal and overemphasised. The major factor is firstly respect and secondly appropriate teaching methods. Boys are DIS-respected. They are demonised. They are not loved by the system. In fact the opposite. The girls, however are idealised. Both modes push both boys and girls to opposite extremes of self esteem, neither of which is justified by individuality.

The teaching methods are said to be more appropriate for girls - who believe what they are told - but with the explosion of really nasty little shanks that the system turns out, I doubt if they are serving them well.

Understand. The school system is not there to help children. Its there to help itself. The children are mearly fodder and an excuse to wield financial power.  The children are an unfortunate nuicance. The system says to boys and girls, 'Fuck off'. The boys say it straight back. The girls just do as they are told.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

The Biscuit Queen

My older son will do his homework then not hand it in. It has always frustrated me, until i started looking at breaking down the behaviors and teaching them one at a time. What an eye opener. First we had him write his homework in an agenda every day and have the teacher sign it. This was to get him in the habit of noting his homework before he left class.

Then he started checking off the homework in the agenda to get used to doing it all. Now we are working on the handing it in. They allow him in math to correct in class, take it home to fix any problems, and bring it back a second time to hand in. He was missing 9 homework assignments  because if this, and had a 52% average. Nick just is not capable of keeping track of the homework that long of a period for that many transactions. So he now hands it in the day after it is assigned, no matter if he made errors or not. Better a 90% than a 0.

He also got in all the back work and now has an 82%, even though he still had 3 assignments due. This was all based on homework. He tests in the 90%'s. I do not understand why there are not other options for these kids. In real life, he just will take a job where all his work is in one place. He will not take work home abd back, or he will lose it. He can start learning to organize, but at this stage in his life school just isn't all that big for him. So either the school needs to build some incentive for him, or they need to come up with ways to meet the different needs of their students. Yes, the boys need to put in more effort, that is also true. However, when girls were behind (in a few subjects only) no one just told them to put in more effort.

As I have said before, I looked on the wall in our school hallway, and 75% of the top four students of every year, going back to 1926, were girls. I know because I counted.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

GregA

At democratic underground they know the answer to this...  Direct more violence at the boys...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x2066886

Men's Rights Activist

"How do we get behind this boy?"

On the public sidewalk, outside the school, picket the school.  Make the biggest sign you can.  It will show support for the lawsuit, and it will call attention to the problems at this school and others.

EDUATION IS
SEXIST & HATEFUL
AGAINST MALES
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

dr e

Sir Percy said:

I don't like all this 'Girl's brains / boy's brains' stuff. Far too little is barely adequately known about brains and far too much is made of what is 'known'.The differences are marginal and overemphasised.

You might want to read the work of Neuroligist Ruben Gur before you pass too much judgement on the brain differences.  He is one of the driving forces behind the last 20 years of brain research that is finally busting through the lace curtain and getting some publicity.  If Gur's work is too technical you can always read Gurian's translation of his work in his newest book The Minds of Boys which does a great job of marking the sex differences in brain function and how they play out in the school environment.  

Gur describes his findings in pedestrian terms when he says that the boys brain seems to go into what he calls a "rest state" and regenerates.  The girl's brain does not show the same pattern.  It is fasinating reading.  I highly recommend Gurian's book.

Please don't minimize this sort of research.  It is exactly what we need and the feminists are busy trying to minimize it in every way they can.  We need people to become informed about these important differences and to start telling those they know about them.  Make it common knowledge.  This undercuts the feminist brainwashing that is so common that says that socialization is the only difference.  They are vendors of misinformation.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Mr. Bad

Quote from: "Dr Evil"
Rob- This is what really steams me.  Boy's grades are being lowered due to their organizational skills or their not going along with the program.  I have always felt that the most important factor in grades is whether you learn the material.  If you learn it you pass.  If you learn it very well you get a good grade.  This is not so in our public schools.  If you miss turning in a series of homework assignments you are automatically put into the same category as someone who didn't or couldn't learn the material.  That is crazy.  My daughter turned in all of her assignments and they were all neat and pretty.  She did very well.  My son would lose assignments that he had actually done or forget to turn them in or find some other creative way to not prove that he had actually done the work (most of which he had done) and he was downgraded because of it.  That is bullshit.  I have argued for years with the teachers that if you are going to grade organization it needs to be a separate grade.  Have two grades, one for your grasp of the material and the other for organization.   The important element is whether you learned the material not how much you have kissed ass.  Boys in general have great trouble with the organizational side of things and this is one factor in their grades being less than girls even though their standardized test scores are better than girls.  The system is fooked.  Einstein would have flunked and been bored to tears.

Actully E., if I recall correctly Einstein did flunk out of high school math.  Go figure.
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

Prometheus

From the article:
The system is designed to the disadvantage of males," Anglin, 17, told The Boston Globe. "From the elementary level, they establish a philosophy that if
you sit down, follow orders, and listen to what they say, you'll do well and get good grades. Men naturally rebel against this."

A lot of good points made about this quote.  I think it was an unfortunate choice of words by the boy, because taken by itself, the quote is indeed whiney and doesn't exaclty elicit a lot of empathy.  Hopefully his father, the lawyer will eloquently articulate the points made by others on this board, because I think they may well be what the kid was trying to say, and they certainly have a lot of legitimacy.
eminism:  The new sexism

Buddy-Rey

Actually, I agree with most of what Rob and Dr. Evil have to say.  To clarify what I said before, I was a great listener/citizen in school, but I too had very dismal grades despite being liked by my teachers.  I too had HUGE problems with homework, when I actually did grasp the material at least 70-80% of the time (except for math, and I won't even go there!)

My problem is when people argue that there should be different standards for different genders.  I don't want to be pandered to in the classroom because I have an "inferior male brain."  I deserve the same standards and responsibilities as any other student in school.

The funny thing is that the same folks who say there should be gender standards in school always seem to get ruffled feathers at the separate gender standards in the U.S. Army, wherein females can get in without as much physical strength as most men.  I say if you're going to endorse the abolition of gender standards in one case, you have to do it across the board.  Sure, having an inferior military might get us enslaved by a foreign enemy, but stacking our work force with males who flew through school without learning anything because of lower academic standards would be completely ruinous to the economy.  In either situation, disaster will result.

dr e

I have heard that too Mr Bad.  My guess is that he would last an even shorter time in today's feminized bastions of political correctness.   :wink:

Quote from: "Mr. Bad"

Actully E., if I recall correctly Einstein did flunk out of high school math.  Go figure.

Peter

The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons From Falling Behind in School and Life
Michael Gurian with Kathy Stevens
ISBN: 0-7879-7761-6
Hardcover
368 pages
September 2005, Jossey-Bass

Other:
The Wonder of Boys by Michael Gurian
What Stories Does : A Guide to Books and Movies that Build Character in Boys by Michael Gurian
Boys and Girls Learn Differently!: A Guide for Teachers and Parents by Michael Gurian
The Wonder of Girls : Understanding the Hidden Nature of Our Daughters by Michael Gurian
The Good Son : Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men by Michael Gurian
BM-NByw7VE2PwjfTtsVdeE5ipuqx1AqkEv1

Galt

Sir Percy said:

I don't like all this 'Girl's brains / boy's brains' stuff. Far too little is barely adequately known about brains and far too much is made of what is 'known'.The differences are marginal and overemphasised.

You might want to read the work of Neuroligist Ruben Gur before you pass too much judgement on the brain differences.  He is one of the driving forces behind the last 20 years of brain research that is finally busting through the lace curtain and getting some publicity.  If Gur's work is too technical you can always read Gurian's translation of his work in his newest book The Minds of Boys which does a great job of marking the sex differences in brain function and how they play out in the school environment.  

Gur describes his findings in pedestrian terms when he says that the boys brain seems to go into what he calls a "rest state" and regenerates.  The girl's brain does not show the same pattern.  It is fasinating reading.  I highly recommend Gurian's book.

Please don't minimize this sort of research.  It is exactly what we need and the feminists are busy trying to minimize it in every way they can.  We need people to become informed about these important differences and to start telling those they know about them.  Make it common knowledge.  This undercuts the feminist brainwashing that is so common that says that socialization is the only difference.  They are vendors of misinformation.

It just seems like common sense to me that men and women have different brains structures or approaches to life.  I also don't believe it's all socialization, like the feminists claim.  Too many little girls brushing their hair in a mirror and little boys wondering how the radio works, despite their parents' frantic attempts to "neutrally" raise them.  

It's not an absolute thing, but it's something that I have seen enough in life to believe it's true.  And I know nothing about the relevant studies (it's probably better that way - they change from week to week).

hurkle

I think the key is not to approach the subject from the viewpoint that there need to be different standards for the different genders, but rather that there needs to be a recognition of the fact that different genders learn in different ways.

Boys are in a highly feminized environment in public school: recesses have been cut back or even dispensed with, the mode of work is cooperative, sit quietly, listen, discuss... all traits at which women seem to excel (well, maybe with the exception of listening ;-). Boys can't cut this kind of inactive stuff, so they are dosed with ADHS drugs until they can sit quietly and not cause a ruckus.

I think we need single-sex education. In one stroke, I think this would help alleviate a number of problems we have with the co-ed system, and it would allow educators to teach in the manner best suited for their pupils.
: How many feminists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: THAT'S NOT FUNNY!

Go Up