Hoff-Sommers reviews O'Beirne's book

Started by Men's Rights Activist, Jan 30, 2006, 08:21 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Men's Rights Activist

The review is a good length and can be found here,

http://www.aei.org/publications/filter.all,pubID.23777/pub_detail.asp

The opening paragraph sets the tone,

"Swedish newspapers recently ran an unusual story about the misdeeds of feminist professor Eva Lundgren. Lundgren, a gender scholar who holds a chair in sociology at the prestigious Uppsala University, had been investigated by a university committee for maligning Swedish men. She had publicly claimed to have proof that bands of male Satanists had ritually murdered hundreds of the nation's infants. She also "found" that fully half of Swedish women were victims of male violence. Members of the committee investigating the professor's sensational assertions found them baseless, but they absolved her of deliberate fabrication. Still, they said there were "serious problems in Lundgren's research," and they faulted her for failing to be "critical and reflective." What is extraordinary about this episode, from an American perspective, is that a reality-challenged women's studies professor who made outrageous, bizarre, and wholly unsubstantiated claims was censured at all. In the United States, she would get a grant--and a raise--to help her pursue her "courageous" and important research."

Here is another excerpt:

"Women Who Make the World Worse documents a 30-year war against the idea that the mother/child bond is unique. O'Beirne quotes the public comments of Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a committed feminist, on the topic of maternal love: "Motherly love ain't everything it has been cracked up to be. To some extent it's a myth that men have created to make women think that they do this job to perfection." In a similar mood, Yeshiva University professor Louise Silverstein called motherhood an "idealized myth" invented by men "in an attempt to encourage white, middle-class women to have more children." Prof. Gretchen Ritter, director of women's studies at the University of Texas, goes so far as to condemn full-time mothers as harmful to children: "It teaches them that the world is divided by gender.'"
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

Men's Rights Activist

O'Beirne points out another slice of the gender feminist hell that America has become.  Cops, prosecutors, and judges are trained by misandrist bigots to be misandirst bigots, and they use taxpayer's dollars to do it.

"Profs. Dee Graham and Edna Rawlings, for example, are University of Cincinnati psychologists who report that "all male-female relationships [are] more or less abusive" and that "women's bonding to men, as well as women's femininity and heterosexuality, are paradoxical responses to men's violence against women." Both Graham and Rawlings, notes O'Beirne, received large grants from the Justice Department and are featured speakers at training workshops for police, prosecutors, and judges. They and their like-minded sisters even managed to get an expensive federal program of their very own: the Violence Against Women Act."
Life, Liberty, & Pursuit of Happiness are fundamental rights for all (including males), & not contingent on gender feminist approval or denial. Consider my "Independence" from all tyrannical gender feminist ideology "Declared" - Here & Now!

Sir Percy

O'Beirne reminds us of such truths, and more. She shows us a modern women's movement that has contempt for the women it claims to represent. Rather than find out what women want and help them achieve it, professional feminists take it upon themselves to decide what women's goals should be. "NOW Knows Best," says O'Beirne

Do you know, I like both of these women! Just 3000,000,000 to go.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

typhonblue

"Women Who Make the World Worse documents a 30-year war against the idea that the mother/child bond is unique.

Why do I get the feeling that when she says "unique" she means "better"?

If feminism really did combat maternal chauvanism, rather then just creating excuses to make men feel bad, I'd be a feminist. At least on that issue.

Every loving relationship a child has is unique. Mothers are no more important then fathers. Even if there are billions and billions of species on this planet that only are raised by their mothers, there is only one species that spends fully a year of its fetal development *outside* its mother's body and needs multiple care-takers just to survive.

Where's the movement to ensure that men have access to fully one half of raising and influencing the next generation's morals, outlook and goals?

Bilbo

I definitely agree with you there.  Politics makes strange bedfellows.  Whether conservative or liberal, a lot of women simply do not want to acknowledge, much less support, a man's natural inclination toward being really involved in his children's lives.  And this has a huge effect a man's ability to learn and pass on to their sons the skills necessary to do so- which they should.

It always amazes me when feminists argue that men only care about their "legacy".  That men want no input in raising their children.  If this were true: what would be the value, then, of a legacy, if you didn't get to be involved; if you didn't even know, and if you didn't get to pass on your life's wisdom to your children?  What would be the point of even having a legacy then?
It is impossible to reason a man out of something he was never reasoned into in the first place- Swift

"The cardinal principle of judicial restraint--if it is not necessary to decide more, it is necessary not to decide more."

Men's Rights Activist

"It always amazes me when feminists argue that men only care about their "legacy". That men want no input in raising their children."

One hundred years ago, kids got to spend a lot more time with their Dads.  In fact, they often spent as much or more time (every day) with their Dads as their Mothers, especially the boys, especially in Summertime.  One hundred fifty years ago, even a greater percentage of kids got to spend large amounts of time with their Dads.  I know all about that, because I spent the first 18 years of my life living on a farm in the Midwest.  

1910 seems to be the highest number of Farmers living on a farm of any year, but the percentage of people in the population living on a farm has gone down every year since the  country was founded.  Farming is a hard life, but a good one for kids.

http://www.agclassroom.org/gan/timeline/farmers_land.htm

Total population: 3,929,214; farmers 90% of labor force

Total population: 17,069,453; farm population; 9,012,000 (est.); farmers 69% of labor force

Total population: 23,191,786; farm population; 11,680,000 (est.); farmers 64% of labor force

Total population: 31,443,321; farm population: 15,141,000 (est.); farmers 58% of labor force

Total population: 38,558,371; farm population: 18,373,000 (est.); farmers 53% of labor force

Total population: 50,155,783; farm population: 22,981,000 (est.); farmers 49% of labor force

Total population: 62,941,714; farm population: 29,414,000 (est.); farmers 43% of labor force

Total population: 75,994,266; farm population: 29,414,000 (est.); farmers 38% of labor force

Total population: 91,972,266; farm population: 32,077,000 (est.); farmers 31% of labor force

Total population: 105,710,620; farm population: 31,614,269; farmers 27% of labor force

Total population: 122,775,046; farm population: 30,455,350; farmers 21% of labor force

Total population: 131,820,000; farm population: 30,840,000; farmers 18% of labor force

Total population: 151,132,000; farm population: 25,058,000; farmers 12.2% of labor force

Total population: 180,007,000; farm population: 15,635,000; farmers 8.3% of labor force

Total population: 204,335,000; farm population: 9,712,000; farmers 4.6% of labor force

Total population: 227,020,000; farm population: 6,051,000; farmers 3.4% of labor force

Total population: 261,423,000; farm population: 2,987,552; farmers 2.6% of labor force

Here's a picture of our farm in the twenties, and my Dad once told me the name of every man in the picture.
http://www.cafepress.com/mensbiz.40627949 Click "View Larger"

If Grandpa and Grandma were alive today they'd say...
http://www.cafepress.com/mensbiz.9726255 Click "View Larger"

zarby

There is something inherently natural, honest, and healthy about making a living directly from the land. It keeps you in touch with reality. A lot of the far flung nonsense now existing would never be tolerated in a farm community. A man's efforts in the fields almost naturally is respected. The work is seen. The effort is felt. Without the work, no food. Of course, the work of the wife is also appreciated. Everybody's work is necessary.

When a man's contribution becomes solely money, I think it is devalued. Money is money. He can never earn enough. It magically comes from a job. His work is not seen or appreciated. It is even attacked. You spend to much time at the office, etc. Perhaps, when men left the farm and headed towards the factories and the office buildings, their demise started.

no2fembots

Hey, folks, lets not fall into the feminist "gender as social construct" game when talking about motherhood versus fatherhood.

We can't have it both ways.  Women and men are different and those differences profoundly affect us.  So, only the top 5% of females have the strength of the median male population.  Feminists don't want to admit this fact as it goes against their relentless pursuit of opening up all jobs and professions to equal numbers of females.

Masculinists don't want to admit that the rearing of children - and all the incredible genetic adaptability that provides the behavior to carry it off - is not designed for equality.  Women are better adapted to child rearing for the first year of more of life.  They are biologically adapted to the job: hearing, facial/verbal cue recognition, sense of smell, hormonal suppression of certain behaviors to favour hormonal encouragement of bonding, loving behaviors.  My usual caveat:  I am discussing population, not individuals, so your experience may vary!  Goes against a 50/50 picture of equality, but so what?

O'Beirne's book highlights the tragedy that the ideology of social construction of gender has caused.  Great harm to women - and men.  While biology is not destiny, it sure as hell exerts a hefty influence!

I for one find it quite liberating to allow myself to be a man, and not some female wannabe!  I am not an I-can-do-anything-you-can-do type:  I hate that in women, I hate that in men.  It takes a certain amount of grace to acknowledge the strengths of others.  And that acknowledgment comes with no shame, either.

A am a great father, a father who has, like so many of my contemporaries, broken the role-mold of the non-involved, emotionally distant dad.  I can change diapers, kiss a skinned knee and shed tears that have welled up out of the shear rush of love I feel for my daughter that has burst inside of my heart.  But at age one?  Too much work and noise and bother!  Like other monotonous, repetitive tasks (women excel at these things compared to men) let someone who is designed to enjoy that job DO that job... the woman!  Just because I CAN do the job doesn't mean I can do as GOOD of a job.  (Sorta like female police officers, or other best if it is a man type job)

What men give kids comes best from the man, and what women give to the process comes best from women - in general!
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."  - Winston Churchill

"Get Angry...Get Loud... GET UP off your KNEES!"

Russ2d

Well said No2fembots, I agree completely and is my single greatest complaint of the men's movement- embracing the idiotic concept, as feminists do when its convenient for them, of social construction as a rationale for the very fictious concept of equality.

I am happy that this book was written but I have a major criticism:

When she talks about the dreaded male patriarchy folding up in response to feminism and gives the reason as men just don't like to argue with women... all I can say is ridiculous...  the common man was forced to fold up because lawyers and politicians (mostly male) created a punitive atmosphere for anyone who challenged what was being done

no2fembots

Quote from: "Russ2d"
... all I can say is ridiculous...  the common man was forced to fold up because lawyers and politicians (mostly male) created a punitive atmosphere for anyone who challenged what was being done

Thanks for your comments on my post.  It is obvious that you, as do I, hold reason  in high regard.  It follows, then, that you must possess a keen intellect.

Now that I've blown smoke up your ass  :lol: ...

I agree with your statement to a point, but if O'Beirne is referring to the beginning of this feminist madness - especially the period between 1969-1971, then she is right on.  Back then, men were caving in all over the place and I remember it very well!  And, back then, the law still was not  owned by the fembots: bear in mind that they were still marching in the streets and holding sit-ins at male only clubs and the like.  They had to resort to those tactics precisely because they had yet to gain political and legal power.

Anyway, keep holding no2fembots in high esteem!  It is good for your health, and great for my ego!
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."  - Winston Churchill

"Get Angry...Get Loud... GET UP off your KNEES!"

Drifter

Quote from: "typhonblue"
Why do I get the feeling that when she says "unique" she means "better"?

I read the book last Sunday. Kate is fairly clear that her viewpoint is that mothers taking care of their children is generally better than day care centers taking care of children. She goes into depth on how feminist organisations have tried to encourage mothers to put their children into day care (so that these women could advance their careers).

She described one feminist that had used a nanny (named Rosa) for most of her daughter's care. When Rosa left to see her family for two months, the daughter cried for weeks screaming out Rosa's name. The feminists comment was along the lines of "I think the loss helped the child's development", and "I think we should have used two nannys to prevent the child's dependence on Rosa".

Men's Rights Activist

"It keeps you in touch with reality. A lot of the far flung nonsense now existing would never be tolerated in a farm community. A man's efforts in the fields almost naturally is respected."

I talked to a cousin of mine a while back, and she said, "We don't have any feminists around here."  To tell you the truth I don't think they'd recognize one if they heard him/her spewing his/her vile propaganda.  They'd most likely just call the "crazy patrol."  I suspect there are aspects of gender feminism in these small commmunities to some degree, but certainly not like major metropolitan areas.

Men's Rights Activist

"When she talks about the dreaded male patriarchy folding up in response to feminism and gives the reason as men just don't like to argue with women... all I can say is ridiculous... the common man was forced to fold up because lawyers and politicians (mostly male) created a punitive atmosphere for anyone who challenged what was being done."

At the very least the gender feminist juggernaut was like Hitler marching into France, and into Poland.  Whatever resistance there was, wasn't effective.  I think a lot of men did fold, and I agree with you that a lot of men were destroyed by the treachery and cruel, strong arm tactics of the gender feminists.  It's still going on to this day, but there is a brave under ground and, above ground, providing a credible countering to gender feminist tyranny and misandry.  Stand Your
Ground brave folks!  Kate O'Beirne is brave freedom fighter.

Thomas

if O'Beirne is referring to the beginning of this feminist madness - especially the period between 1969-1971, then she is right on. Back then, men were caving in all over the place and I remember it very well!

This statement could not be more true. I, too, remember that time well. To a large extent, men were fooled by the claim that the purpose of feminism was to better the lives of women and men. But if any man dared to question the orthodoxy, the screeching accusations exploded from the true believers. "You hate women. You hate blacks. You hate gays..."

And most of the so-called men crawled off to their corners to pee in their diapers. By the late '70s I was speaking openly about the evils of feminism, and no one supported me, especially among the men. However, a few women, while not openly agreeing with me, respected me for speaking out.
We Are Self-Exterminating Through The Collapse Of Fertility Rates.
The Death of Birth.
Fertility Rates Magazine.

Roy

Well, Dr. Evil invited me back after my banning.

He was very apologetic! Contrite, even....

Glad to have you back.  Please try to stay within the
frickin rules. ;>)

(I have edited all my profusive praise and ass-kissing from the PM's....   :wink: )

I'm thrilled to be back (who said that..... Lazerus?), though I suspect a set-up already.

Anyway, here's the final paragraph from Kate O'Beirne's book: Women Who Make the World Worse - and How Their Radical Feminist Assualt Is Ruining Our Schools, Families, Military, and Sports.

(BTW --- everyone here at SYG should buy a copy.... it's been all the rage over at amazon.com, where Dr. Evil posted the first intelligent analysis of the covert plot to tank the book with faux-negative reviews.)

Women who make the world worse by denying the complementary roles of husband and wife and father and mother dismiss children's need for the example and attention of both parents. They have weakened the family and put children at risk. Women who make the world worse by encouraging careers at the expense of family seek to deny women the choices they freely make. Women who make the world worse by demanding that sex differences be eliminated in the classrooms and on playing fields engage in a radical social engineering that harms young boys and girls alike. Women who make the world worse by insisting that American women engage in combat weaken the military and jeopardize lives. Women who make the world worse by holding candidates hostage to a phony gender gap have poisoned our politics. Women who make the world worse by lying about their radical abortion agenda betray women and their unborn children.
 All of these women who make the world worse by waging a destructive war between the sexes are at war with Mother Nature.

Please note that Ms. O'Beirne does not qualify her statements by inserting the grammatical device of "some" before her every declaration pertaining to women.

Dr. E., have I just violated the freakin' rules.... again?

Do I get three strikes, since by my calculations my re-admission means a "reset" to zero infractions?

I'll be better now... I promise!  

I just need to know how much better.....   :roll:
It's a terrible thing ... living in fear." (Roy - hunted replicant. "Blade Runner.")

Go Up