Wife divorces golfer because wife hates golf, gets $40M

Started by Metal MRA, Feb 03, 2006, 08:54 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Metal MRA

Monty pays $40m for divorce
By Fiona Hudson in London
February 3, 2006

GOLF ace Colin Montgomerie has ended a bitter divorce wrangle by giving his ex-wife a payout of up to $40 million.

Europe's top golfer, Montgomerie, 42, agreed to give childhood sweetheart Eimear, 36, more than half his fortune - one of the biggest divorce settlements in Britain.

The couple had been due in London's High Court yesterday to thrash out the matter, but reached an agreement before the case began.

The long-term marriage ended in 2004 with Mrs Montgomerie claiming she was tired of her husband's obsession with golf, and that it left her anxious and depressed.

The one-off payment was double the sum predicted, with legal experts suggesting Eimear must have given up the right to claim on the golfer's future earnings.

Montgomerie collected at least $A5 million in prizemoney last year with a return to form rocketing him from 83rd in the world to eighth.

His return to form coincided with his discovery of new love with girlfriend Jo Baldwin, whom he met at the gate of his children's school after his marriage collapsed.

The Ryder Cup champion was back on the golf course in Dubai yesterday for a pro-am competition, but declined to comment on the deal: "I'm here and you can see that I'm OK."

His manager Guy Kinnings confirmed the out-of-court settlement.

"It's fair to say Colin is relieved. He's relieved everything has been resolved. It's been a pretty difficult time for him."

Yeah, I'll bet it has.....

I'm just friggin' speechless on this one, I mean, there's a lot of good reasons for getting divorced, but divorcing because you husband is working (the same job he has for years) to provide your dumb-ass with an income???  Suck it up biyatch.
en occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'

TheManOnTheStreet

I just want to know how the hell they came to that figure.... 40 Million?  WHAT THE FUCK!  Childhood sweatheart eh?  

And Colin is OK with this?

Al
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Galt

40 million ...

I think it's about time that I buy a wig and skirt and shave my legs.

But is that pounds or dollars?  I mean 40 million dollars just doesn't buy what it used to ...

Galt

Just to put that into perspective:

There are emergency-room physicians who actually save lives on a daily basis who will never earn that over their entire lives.

There are researchers working on vaccines against AIDS, cures for cancer and the like who will never have anywhere near that.

There are men and women working over their entire lives, and who contribute a whole lot to society, who will never have that.

The guy who lost his leg in the military, the fireman who pulled people out on 9-11, and doctors in combat zones will never have that.

But the pampered society broad, who contributes nothing to society in a typical case, but instead takes and takes from everyone around her, while playing her games, who is less than useless in reality, deserves it.

There are really odd measures of valuation in society today.

Metal MRA

Are you kidding??  $40 Million is a drop in the bucket after you add up all the counseling bills to help her get over her golf related depression!!  If anything just consider it a general fine against the patriarchy (tm) leveled at the easiest target......
en occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'

NobleTry

Quote from: "Metal MRA"

The long-term marriage ended in 2004 with Mrs Montgomerie claiming she was tired of her husband's obsession with golf, and that it left her anxious and depressed.

His return to form coincided with his discovery of new love with girlfriend Jo Baldwin, whom he met at the gate of his children's school after his marriage collapsed. ... [end of article]

I'm just friggin' speechless on this one, I mean, there's a lot of good reasons for getting divorced, but divorcing because you husband is working (the same job he has for years) to provide your dumb-ass with an income???  Suck it up biyatch.

"Speechless"? Really? Why? I'm being serious, not sarcastic. Don't you yet understand how women think? It's evident this woman thinks she is completely and absolutely entitled to his money because 1) she was his wife during the time he earned the money (the ol' "what's yours is mine" female security thinking going on), 2) she supported him in his career ("I watched you on TV, you were just so awesome, where should we go for dinner tonight?"), and 3) she probably didn't pursue any career of her own just so that she could be even more supportive of hubby's efforts in his golf career. I'm being dead serious here, guys. Unless and until we (the older, more experienced men) teach the younger generation of men how women think about them (the men) and marriage (ie, security) and what they (women) feel they (women) are entitled to as a wife, then we aren't doing any good.

Note that he gave up more than half of what he was worth. I did the same. (Of course not at his level.) And, at the time, I gladly did it. And I'm still happy with my decision. I wanted to get the f*** away from the woman. And I knew that (please pardon the use of this saying, no disrespect AT ALL to any vets here) "freedom is never free." I was willing to pay the price, and still do with vaginamony, but every time I write my check I tell myself, "Freedom is never free. This is the price I pay." (Plus her occasional harping... :wink: Think about that. This man was willing to part with $40 million just to make this woman go away. And, I'll bet, the woman thinks "she got away with it." You've got to feel sorry for someone like that who is so self-deluded.

Let's hope he learns a lesson and never gets married again. I know I did. Learned my lesson, that is.

Galt

Quote from: "NobleTry"
And, I'll bet, the woman thinks "she got away with it."

She DID get away with it.  She picked him clean for money.

There are people sitting in jail right now who were so desperate for money that they tried to rob a convenience store for $70.  People will do a whole lot for money, especially for millions if they know that they can never earn that themselves in 40 lives.

But I've always wondered about the "partnership" in splitting everything earned in the marriage.  Take the case of a guy who gets extra money for being in a combat zone in the military, and his wife sits at home living off his paycheck.  She's got the life of ease, with him picking up the tab, and she also gets dibs on money he got for risking his life.  As if she were "helping" him in the combat zone, instead of watching Oprah.  And maybe complaining to him that she should have married the other guy, who now has a good job in a big company.

Or take the (real) case of a guy going through a divorce who won the Nobel prize.  His wife got her grubs on that money, but the case certainly can't be made that she helped him in any way if he apparently couldn't even stand being around her (ongoing divorce).

TheManOnTheStreet

First of, she'll never go away... trust me.. she'll try for more.... Ill bet money on it.

Secondly, he is already effin up... already involved with another woman.  Granted, this woman may or may not be another gold-digger, but common.  Monty isn't the thin svelt soul he was when he was young.  So, what is it about him that this hew girls is "attracted" to..... hmmmmmmm

Must be his curly locks..... uhuh.....

Or maybe its the other 40 million in the bank.. now that his finances are public 'n all.  Nawwwww women are attracted to a sense of humor first remember?  Cosmo said so!

AL
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

NobleTry

Quote from: "Galt"
And, I'll bet, the woman thinks "she got away with it."

She DID get away with it.  She picked him clean for money.

But, remember the article linked on this forum a few weeks ago in which a young woman said of her hubby working so hard to provide for the family (and I quote): "It's only money." This golfer's ex-wife would likely say the same thing: "It's only money." Which provides more anecdotal evidence that women are unable to deal with the abstract thing called "money".

There are people sitting in jail right now who were so desperate for money that they tried to rob a convenience store for $70.  People will do a whole lot for money, especially for millions if they know that they can never earn that themselves in 40 lives.

"some" people will do a whole lot for money. Some people are not motivated by money.

But I've always wondered about the "partnership" in splitting everything earned in the marriage.

What's to wonder about? Men set the system up so that men would be forced to provide for the woman and any children made from their union. In theory, I agree with that set-up. It was for the betterment and stability of society. Men put themselves under that yoke because men saw that what was good for the whole mattered, even if that greater good hurt them personally. Sort of like (and I know this is an extreme analogy) 1,000 men storming a beach in northern Europe and all of them understanding that half of them would be killed. But it was done for an abstract idea: the greater good.

Take the case of a guy who gets extra money for being in a combat zone in the military, and his wife sits at home living off his paycheck.  She's got the life of ease, with him picking up the tab, and she also gets dibs on money he got for risking his life.  As if she were "helping" him in the combat zone, instead of watching Oprah.  And maybe complaining to him that she should have married the other guy, who now has a good job in a big company.

Or take the (real) case of a guy going through a divorce who won the Nobel prize.  His wife got her grubs on that money, but the case certainly can't be made that she helped him in any way if he apparently couldn't even stand being around her (ongoing divorce).

Women are merely working the system, that's all.

Mr Benn

ww.CoolTools4Men.com

Galt

What's to wonder about? Men set the system up so that men would be forced to provide for the woman and any children made from their union.

I hate to be opaque, but I wasn't around back then, and I didn't set anything up.  I don't quite buy the "common wisdom" that women were oppressed over every square centimeter of land on the planet earth, over every minute of history up till around 1970 or so.  Women have their ways of getting things done, and it doesn't necessarily coincide with "male power" (or the power that men think they have).  If that way is to dredge money out of a man (I'm not saying it necessarily is) while he works up to the heart attack, with a few "atta boys!", then I wonder who is oppressed.

It's funny that as feminism has taken hold, I see more female voices wanting a return to some of the traditional ways - and they do it anyway: A woman CAN work, but doesn't have to.  Escape Hatch B if that "work" stuff turns out to be drudgery, and you don't get a promotion with an extra 50k in salary every six months.  Let stupid grind it out.  Maybe the only difference is the pretending today.  But women get their share and always have.  For less work, in reality.  I think it's a joke with these news articles about "women may hold 60% of the wealth in the near future".  Just look at studies of Merrill Lynch and some big charities 25 years ago.  They know where the bread is buttered.  And it's buttered with old ladies.

I also think that back in the mists of history you were talking about, BOTH genders had it rough, had to work their asses off at their respective jobs, and had little time to squabble about what is fair.  Things just kind of fell into place without the Patriarchal Center (along with the Illuminati) conspiring to oppress women.

NobleTry

What's to wonder about? Men set the system up so that men would be forced to provide for the woman and any children made from their union.

I hate to be opaque, but I wasn't around back then, and I didn't set anything up.  I don't quite buy the "common wisdom" that women were oppressed over every square centimeter of land on the planet earth, over every minute of history up till around 1970 or so.

I'm not following you. By putting the quotation marks around the term "common wisdom", I take it that you are being sarcastic? I read this as you being sarcastic. In any event, women were not oppressed. Just see the examples of several woman writers, painters, etc etc who found a way to use their talents for the greater good. That these women amounted to, say, let's estimate, 0.0001% of the population should tell you something about the general contributions women are able to make to the greater good.

Women have their ways of getting things done, and it doesn't necessarily coincide with "male power" (or the power that men think they have).

Right. That's obvious.

It's funny that as feminism has taken hold, I see more female voices wanting a return to some of the traditional ways - and they do it anyway: A woman CAN work, but doesn't have to.  Escape Hatch B if that "work" stuff turns out to be drudgery, and you don't get a promotion with an extra 50k in salary every six months.  Let stupid grind it out.  Maybe the only difference is the pretending today.  But women get their share and always have.  For less work, in reality.

Right. That's obvious, too. You could pull any number of statistics out about who controls wealth in the world. Go to any shopping mall and that will tell you all you need to know. 85% of the stores are for women only. And it's for crap you don't need. Or, wait, crap used to "attract" men because the patriarchy forces women to do this.

Galt

OK, I probably misread what you were getting at, NobleTry.  Actually I do that a lot and then jump before I give it further thought.

That's a good New Years resolution for me for 2007 (but not until then, LOL).

Galt

Double post.

gwallan

His "obsession with golf"? FFS it's his profession. A profession which paid for everything she has and for everything she now wishes to thieve from him.  Whore.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

Go Up