Dear Abby V-day special

Started by CaptDMO, Feb 13, 2006, 05:50 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

CaptDMO

Dear Abby is written by Abigail Van Buren, also known as Jeanne Phillips, and was founded by her mother, Pauline Phillips.It is the most popular and widely syndicated column in the world -known for its uncommon common sense and youthful perspective.
Her words, certainly not mine!

today's(02/13/06) (or daily Dear Abby)
italics and mimicry mine

DOMESTIC ASSAULTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH LOVE

DEAR ABBY: Thank you for your continued support of victims of domestic and dating violence. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, a day filled with romance for many couples. Unfortunately, for some, it is like any other day -- filled with fear, anxiety and violence.
OK!
The sad truth is, every year, close to 4 million American women experience a serious assault by someone who said they loved them. I would like to remind your readers that domestic and dating violence is not just physical abuse. It can also be sexual, emotional, economic or psychological abuse. It is actions, or threats of actions, meant to frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, injure or wound someone.

Oh! The Duluth power wheel, I thought THAT one fell off the bandwagon years ago!! I guess some folk still hold to the idea that the squeeky wheel gets the grease.
Domestic violence can happen to anyone
but despite this tiny little disclaimer we'll concentrate on Feminists, AND THEIR ALLIES
of any age, race, sexual orientation, religion, gender or socioeconomic background. It can happen to couples who are married, living together or dating.

With Valentine's Day only a day away, let's work to keep our loved ones safe.
From wildly biased propaganda addressing waning"victim mentality" status directed SPECIFICLY at women who read this type of collumm daily and take it's coddleing messages as qualified advice
-- SHERYL CATES, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOTLINE
Dear "Abby's" daughter, riding high on the bustle of her mothers reputation, replies-
DEAR SHERYL: Thank you for your important letter. As readers of my column know, your organization is one I have relied upon for years to help victims of abuse
as defined above I guess!
If anyone reading this column today feels she is being abused, or know of someone who is being abused, I hope she will call the National Domestic Violence Hotline. The toll-free number is (800) 799-7233 (SAFE). The number for people with hearing disabilities is (800) 787-3224 (TTY). You can also log onto the Web site at www.ndvh.org. There is help available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.The danger is great, so please don't wait to contact them.

Does anyone else find this to be sophist inflamatory propaganda?
Can I safely ASSUME that Ms. Phillips stands by the information cited as truth by repeating it without disclaimer, and proping up the known behavior of the folks at that organisation?
If it's wrong does that make her a common liar?
How about the editors that print it?

Feel free to write to Ms. Phillips, or the editors of ANY and all of the papers that print her consistantly radical feminist positions under the guise of "advice" in their papers (without disclaimers). Usually in the entertainment section next to the horoscopes and "Hints from Heloise"(which, by contrast, are actually often useful)
Write Dear Abby at www.DearAbby.com or P.O. Box 69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.

FOR THE RECORD, if one happens to be, you know....A MAN, the only place I know of (and financially support) to go to for help is Domestic Abuse Hotline for Men now listed as"for men and women"
Toll Free Nationwide Helpline: 1-888-7HELPLINE (1-888-743-5754)
For Business and Non-Crisis calls: 1-207-683-5758

Go Up