Latest WAVE Headlines

By David McArthur

(LOUISVILLE) -- The man who once agreed to abstain from sex to stay
out of jail is now headed to prison. Luther Crawford is a deadbeat dad
with a long list of kids and a long history in court. WAVE 3's David
McArthur reports.

Wheeled into court Wednesday as one of Louisville's worst delinquent
fathers, Jefferson Circuit Court Judge Thomas Wine held nothing back
during Crawford's sentencing for non-support.

"It seems to me, it's one thing to have one child, or two children or
even three children that you can't afford," Wine said. "But once you
realize you can't afford three children, then why would you want to
have six and seven more?" Wine asked.

Court records indicate Crawford has fathered at least 10 children with
nine different mothers. This specific case is about three kids owed
$150,000.

Among the moms in court Wednesday was Kandy Ford. Her daughter is now 17.

Referring to Crawford's request for leniency but his inability to
recall the names of some of his children, she addressed the judge in a
passionate plea to send Crawford to prison.

"You don't even know your child, and you want somebody to feel pity
for you?" Ford asked.

Crawford's attorney, Lindsey Scott, asked for probation partly because
Crawford, 53, is in poor health.

"Mr. Crawford has had two open heart surgeries," Scott said. "He's had
a stroke and he suffers from kidney failure."

Judge Wine denied probation and issued a four-year prison sentence,
but before imposing it, Wine had this to say to Crawford: "I remember
one time seeing a T-shirt saying 'anybody can be a father, it takes
somebody special to be a daddy.' And you have certainly failed that."

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Kristen Poindexter was pleased with
the decision. "It sends a very strong message to the community," she
said. "This is a man who has never paid his child support and he
shouldn't be given probation because of it."

Outside of court Ford told us she's glad Crawford won't be getting out
of jail anytime soon. "I have fought for 17 years. I'm so proud I got
four years out of him, but anybody out there should realize kids come
first. They need parents -- not just one -- two."

Crawford already served one year in prison. Wednesday's sentence is an
additional four years. But even after he gets out, he still owes
hundreds of thousands of dollars in back child support payments.

And while he may be among the worst deadbeat dads, the sad fact is
there are thousands more like him.

Sir Percy

"Mr. Crawford has had two open heart surgeries," Scott said. "He's had a stroke and he suffers from kidney failure."

Tenacious little focker, isn't he.
They need parents -- not just one -- two."

Now there's an unusual thought.
And while he may be among the worst deadbeat dads, the sad fact is there are thousands more like him.

What a gratuitous throw-away line. I suppose it'll transform into 1 in 4 fathers have ten children with nine women, in next to no time.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

Quentin0352

I didn't comment the first time just because this case pisses me off.

(LOUISVILLE) -- The man who once agreed to abstain from sex to stay out of jail is now headed to prison.

COuld you picture the uproar if they threatened to trow a woman in jail if she had more children after she was cuaght as a welfare cheat with 8 kids or if she claimed and demanded from different agencies support from a bunch of men for a single child? Heck, there are plenty of guys who have been robbed of hundreds of thousands of dollars for child support of children that were not theirs and who were never able to see them or allowed to be a parent while paying it to boot.

rantmeister

Could you picture the uproar if they threatened to throw a woman in jail if she had more children after she was caught as a welfare cheat with 8 kids or if she claimed and demanded from different agencies support from a bunch of men for a single child?

My thoughts exactly. Or, if a woman simply keeps having more children than she can take care of herself, there is no criminality assigned to her. CPS may remove the children, but she never has to go to jail. Can't  have that, she might cry or something.

And notice that mothers like this are never questioned about their judgement in selecting someone like Luther Crawford to procreate with them. Why is only HIS behavior criminal??

It's always the same. Sympathy for women and scorn for men.

rantmeister

Rob Layton

At first I wondered what this man did in his spare time?
Then it occured to me that none of these women must have been on the pill !
Who is irresponsible?

Fidelbogen

Belaboring the obvious, but...: Who's gonna pay the child support NOW?

Well, anyway, I sure hope they didn't take away his driver's license! :wink:

zarby

If a woman has numerous children by numerous men, the word for her is "rich" (if she has the sense to have the children by men with good incomes). If by chance, the child support for all the children is not paid, there is a different word for her "victim." She is the victim and numerous men either pay or go to jail. The doubel standard of course is huge.

BRIAN

I hate this turd. He is the kind of man the mainstream media can point to and say "Here is what fathers are, all deadbeats and all useless".  I hope he does go to jail if for no other reason than he is stupid. He should know not to trust anyone and use a condom for the sake of STD prevention if nothing else.
You may sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who seek to harm you.

The Biscuit Queen

I have to agree with Brian. The media may not paint a mother like that but society would-no one respects a woman who has that many children. She would, however, get benifits, and I agree with everyone that is not fair. However this man is an irresponsible jackass. If you are not willing to have a child and support that child, by joint custody or payments, then wear a condom. For the women they should be on the pill AND use a condom.

However unfair the situation compared to women may be, this is not someone who is in the right either. These women did not trick him, he is an irresponsible ass. I think that the FRM would be better off distancing themselves from this sort of deadbeat-in this case the term fits.
he Biscuit Queen
www.thebiscuitqueen.blogspot.com

There are always two extremes....the truth lies in the middle.

zarby

I don't know this man. I haven't even read most of these postings so I know less about him than most of you.

I do want to propose an alternative for him and others like him. He may not be a jack ass. He may just be stupid. I mean literally low IQ.

I met a man in jail just before Christmas. He was in jail for a drug offense. His mom hired me to try to get him out for Christmas. It was hopeless. He had too many things working against him.

Relevant here, he had five children by five different women. I looked in his eyes and it was like looking in the eyes of a confused puppy. This guy just didn't have a clue. He couldn't explain the facts leading to his present situation. He was literally lost in this world. There are people like this.

I spoke with his mother. I asked her why he had so many children by so many women. She said he kept losing his family. He wanted a family. Once one failed he would try again. He didn't realize the legal consequences of trying again and again and where it put him.

Possibly, his drug problem arose from his family and financial problems. I don't know. I did not see him as a bad individual. I saw him as a very confused less than intelligent person lost in a difficult world.

Now, there may be facts I don't know because I have no read all this. I just urge you to go a litle easy on this man. I know this if this was a woman most would go easier on her. I may be defending the devil but I don't want to demonize him based on what I know right now.

johnnyp

A man's body, a man's choice.
 woman needs a man like a fish needs water

Rob Layton

Quote from: "zarby"
I don't know this man. I haven't even read most of these postings so I know less about him than most of you.

I do want to propose an alternative for him and others like him. He may not be a jack ass. He may just be stupid. I mean literally low IQ.

I met a man in jail just before Christmas. He was in jail for a drug offense. His mom hired me to try to get him out for Christmas. It was hopeless. He had too many things working against him.

Relevant here, he had five children by five different women. I looked in his eyes and it was like looking in the eyes of a confused puppy. This guy just didn't have a clue. He couldn't explain the facts leading to his present situation. He was literally lost in this world. There are people like this.

I spoke with his mother. I asked her why he had so many children by so many women. She said he kept losing his family. He wanted a family. Once one failed he would try again. He didn't realize the legal consequences of trying again and again and where it put him.

Possibly, his drug problem arose from his family and financial problems. I don't know. I did not see him as a bad individual. I saw him as a very confused less than intelligent person lost in a difficult world.

Now, there may be facts I don't know because I have no read all this. I just urge you to go a litle easy on this man. I know this if this was a woman most would go easier on her. I may be defending the devil but I don't want to demonize him based on what I know right now.

Zarby as usual you make some very good points bro.

Quentin0352

His not knowing the kids says a lot, either;

A) He is an ass that cares nothing and the picture poster boy for feminists on how bad fathers are.

or

B) These women denied him a chance to be around the kids and just wanted the money making him a perfect person to make a villain of for the media while he is screwed even more.

BTW, condoms are the ONLY birth control for men and have a 15% failure rate and for some like me it is MUCH higher no matter what kind you use or etc. And no it isn't from improper use. I asked a doctor once and it seems they had noticed those of us who are of the unedited variety have a very high failure rate for condoms making them about useless.

As I suggested once before, maybe some of us should do a class action lawsuit against the government for failing to fund research and the pharmaceutical companies for failing to come up with an effective form of birth control for men. They concentrate all the funding to create it for women leaving us out in the cold for anything effective and useful.

zarby

It is absolutely unjust for men to have all the responsibility and almost none of the control (e.g. poor birth control alternatives).

I get to feeling very uneasy up high near the rail in those hotels with the atriums. I want that rail to be really solid looking before I will go anywhere near it. If that rail looks at all weak I will not go near it. I don't like the rails made of glass. No matter how strong they may be they look weak. I certainly don't like the rails made of old wood. I have seen old wood rails on some lower balconies in motels. It scares me.

What is my point? A condemn is like a rail on a very high balcony made out of rotten wood. That is the way I see it. Let's face it the sexual act itself by its nature is designed to pull the thing off. Let's face it, even if it is pulled off on purpose, the operative fluid gets on the fingers and other places. Where do those fingers and what not go? I do not feel secure.

zarby

I didn't misspell condom on purpose, but it was probably a freudian slip. A condom condemns its user to uncertainty and fear (at least it does me). Further, as far as I am concerned, it diminishes the experience.

Go Up