previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Gerard Velthuis

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gender/story/0,,1725899,00.html

Police halt jobs diversity scheme after discrimination claims

Owen Bowcott and Vikram Dodd
Wednesday March 8, 2006
The Guardian

A pioneering campaign by Avon and Somerset police to increase the number of women and ethnic minority officers in its ranks has been withdrawn following advice that it may discriminate against white men.

The scheme, launched last summer, was intended to "redress under-representation" of the area's "diverse communities" but resulted in complaints to the Commission for Racial Equality and the Equal Opportunities Commission.

Applications from 186 white males were rejected before the interview stage in favour of those from women and from non-white backgrounds.

"Positive action" - helping applicants prepare for recruitment procedures or advertising in ethnic minority publications - is permitted but positive discrimination is illegal.

The chief constable, Colin Port, yesterday defended the "innovative" approach: "Last summer we tried to do something different. Through use of positive action and using the model of the Disability Discrimination Act we intended to recruit officers that more accurately reflect the diverse communities we serve.

"We considered this represented an untried and untested area. It was not and has never been our intention to discriminate against anyone who applies for a position with the Avon and Somerset constabulary ... We will think again about how we can continue to recruit from under-represented groups ... until that balance has been redressed."

The force added: "In order to redress the situation we have ... offered to reconsider all of the applicants excluded."

Around 3.9% of Avon and Somerset's population of around 1.5 million is from a non-white background.

Peter Fahy, chairman of the race and diversity committee of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said police forces were being damned for failing to recruit enough ethnic minority and women officers, and damned when they tried new ways of diversifying their workforce.

I can't believe they say this MAY be discrimination towards white men.
No! It IS !!!!!!!!! discrimination

Applications from 186 white males were rejected before the interview stage in favour of those from women and from non-white backgrounds.

I think this very much speaks for itself that this IS first degree discrimination

I wonder if they would say the same thing, that if there were a policy to attract more men this MAY be discrimination towards women
t is time men start behaving like men again and stand up for their rights, instead of behaving like conformist push-overs.

ggreen67

Yes, something very fishy with that entire program.

The issue sounds more like there are not enough women and ethnic minorities applying for these positions. You can't blame them, police work is not a fun job by any means.

Common logic would suggest they need to conduct campaigns to get more qualified people from these groups to apply.

Quentin0352

Interesting that they have tons of applications coming in but they can't get enough of the targeted minorities even when already giving them help in tests and going out to try and recruit them. If the community complains there are not enough of those groups, then those complaining should try to help recruit more of them that are competitive and wish to do the job. Then again it is a bit of a sore spot with me since I tried to become a cop here in the US and was turned down by tons of departments for the same reason, I'm a white heterosexual male and didn't meet any of the minority requirements. Heck, being born black gave someone more bonus points on the test than I received being a veteran of the Gulf War!

TheManOnTheStreet

Veteran?  What's that?  Noone gives a shit about us vets... never have, never will.  The last person to ever show a glimmer of decency for our military BOYS was Ronald Reagan.

We are supposed to get "Displaced Veterans Assistance".  Bah.  Helped me alot.  It actually put me on the effin black list.  That is why I started my own business.  Now FEMALE vets, that's a whole different can of beans.  Vet Affairs bends over fucking backwards for them.

Being tagged with PTSD and GWS, most certainly gets you something, that's for sure.... blacklisted as a possible flasher (as in flashbacks) that may show up with a gun and go postal.

Sorry, very sore spot for me.

Al
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

Somebody else

"Positive" discrimination?! How idiotic.

we intended to recruit officers that more accurately reflect the diverse communities we serve.

Didn't someone have a recent post about the fact that some group was trying to promote this idea in political races? They then went on to point out for this to happen then there would have to be 5% drug users, 12% criminals, 3% homeless people, etc. (numbers are not accurate, just used for example) in political office. Personally, I'd rather have effective people in these positions, than a diversity of people.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO INTELLIGENCE AND COMMON SENSE!!!!!
The whole world is going nuts.
ust because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get you.

Gerard Velthuis

Personally, I'd rather have effective people in these positions, than a diversity of people.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO INTELLIGENCE AND COMMON SENSE!!!!!
The whole world is going nuts.

The ultimate goal will be 50% women (maybe 52%, since there are more women on this earth apparently. I am sure feminists will complain about this, once the 50% proportion has been reached), and 20-25% minorities.
No matter what!
This will be our future governments boys ;-) All fair right?
The criteria will eb as follows: 1) FIRST we must make sure we have 50% women, 2) THEN (if possible) we want 20-25% minorities (but if we can achieve 50% women we are also satisfied, since everything nowadays is about women), 3) NOW we should focus on capabilities and ambition-goals of people

If step 3 fails but step 1 is achieved (maybe step 2 too, but this is only a low priority), then we will settle for the situation too
t is time men start behaving like men again and stand up for their rights, instead of behaving like conformist push-overs.

Malakas

Affirmative Action: - Giving jobs to people who can't do them.
Welfare: - Giving money to people who haven't earned it.

Stolen quotes- mea culpa
'm an asylum seeker. Don't send me back.

Sir Percy

Just an impression but the police forces almost everywhere already have achieved their targets for crims and thickos in their ranks. Some have achieved rapid promotion.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

gwallan

Quote from: "Malakas"
Affirmative Action: - Giving jobs to people who can't do them.
Welfare: - Giving money to people who haven't earned it.

Stolen quotes- mea culpa

Affirmative Action = Peter Principle
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

Go Up