men's rights and housework

Started by Laboratory Mike, Mar 22, 2006, 11:22 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Laboratory Mike

Men have a right to say NO to housework. NO means NO. What part of NO do feminists not understand?

Feel free to cut and paste this everywhere approrpiate.

Found this on the Mancoat forum. I think this message is worthy to be spread to every corner of the world.

Sir Percy

Good grief, Mike. I am dismayed.  You keep a tidy Lab, I hope.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

typhonblue

If I told my husband "no" to his desire to do housework I think I'd end up with a broken nose.

I can't stop him. It's how he exerts control over his enviroment (although sometimes I wish he would stop when he extends that control to *my* desk.)

whome112

I've read more than a few of the studies on housework. Women do more housework, OK.

What they don't say is more important. Stay-at-home fathers, lone fathers and gay men do about the same amount of housework as the rest of the men (only 50 to 60 hours more per year).

Thus, it's likely that men do things to make housework easier. If you go into the homes of these men, you'll find that to be true. There's less of the knick-knacks lying around, the decorating is plainer, etc. The guys just take steps to make the job easier.

I've seen it in myself, both back when I was a lone father and now when I do most of the hosuework ... I do a bit of work to make the job take less time.

One thing I've found is a fuzzy duster that cuts the time for dusting by 2/3's! Some sort of static  elecricity thing... at any rate, it makes the job go fast.

whome
ay what you mean: Mean what you say.
http://jwwells.blogspot.com

damnbiker

Quote from: "whome112"
I've read more than a few of the studies on housework. Women do more housework, OK.

What they don't say is more important. Stay-at-home fathers, lone fathers and gay men do about the same amount of housework as the rest of the men (only 50 to 60 hours more per year).

Thus, it's likely that men do things to make housework easier. If you go into the homes of these men, you'll find that to be true. There's less of the knick-knacks lying around, the decorating is plainer, etc. The guys just take steps to make the job easier.

I've seen it in myself, both back when I was a lone father and now when I do most of the hosuework ... I do a bit of work to make the job take less time.

One thing I've found is a fuzzy duster that cuts the time for dusting by 2/3's! Some sort of static  elecricity thing... at any rate, it makes the job go fast.

whome

I got one of those electrostatic thingy's too.  I even use it sometimes (ya know, if I'm bringing someone over for the first time).  I also couldn't deal with having the two dogs if it weren't for the invention of the 'Swiffer'.  If not for that my house would be filled with St. Bernard sized piles of dog fur.  That being said, There is a pile of  papers and stuff that's been on my kitchen table since last year.  LOL
It's not illegal to be a man...yet.

neoteny

Dust devils (the literal translation from Hungarian is "dust kittens") are the only lifeform I'm comfortable with... :lol:
The spreading of information about the [quantum] system through the [classical] environment is ultimately responsible for the emergence of "objective reality." 

Wojciech Hubert Zurek: Decoherence, einselection, and the quantum origins of the classical

bluegrass

One thing you'll never see in those studies is a breakdown or analysis of how much time it should reasonably take to keep the home-space reasonably clean and the children reasonably taken care of, say based on square footage and the number of man-cubs.

That there's a huge difference between keeping a place clean and taking care of kids versus keeping a place immaculate and smothering the children and the fact of the matter is simply looking at the shear number of hours one spends cleaning doesn't tell you any more than how many hours one spends cleaning.  Like so many other things, an extrapolitive leap is made where there is not enough information to do so.

It's kind of like the studies that show women are "better" communicators than men.  If you look at those all they show is that women communicate MORE, but no measure is taken to determine if it's actually BETTER.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

gwallan

Quote from: "bluegrass"

It's kind of like the studies that show women are "better" communicators than men.  If you look at those all they show is that women communicate MORE, but no measure is taken to determine if it's actually BETTER.

If I may paraphrase then...
...women spend more time doing housework, but no measure is taken to determine if it's actually BETTER.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

JoeFin

What is the big deal about house work and just exactly how is that supposed to measure any sort of equality?

Geez Mom spends more time throwing dirty socks into an automated washing machine.

Dad spends more time chopping up the 280' Sugar pine into firewood. Dad spends more time out in the 2 deg weather thawing the frozen water pipes so we can have water to shower with. Dad changes the oil, brakes, and maybe even the clutch in the family cars. Dad maintains the family boat so we have vacation on the lake. He paints the house, shovels snow from the steps, fixes the broken window the left field fly ball went through, and stokes the fire 5 am in the morning on his way to work.

Oh yes did I mention he also maintains the living conditions working 50 - 60 hours a week on top of all this.

And for all his efforts he might be rewarded with several hours of solace watching the tip of 8' fly rod hoping for a fish to bite. In all fairness the fish may be a female fish and in such a female has enriched his enjoyment of the quality of life he is working so desperately for.
Resident Sh!! house attorney at large

Go Up