Feminist Wanted!

Started by dr e, Mar 27, 2006, 05:30 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

hansside

Dr Evil are you familiar with Daphne Patai's "Professing Feminism:  Cautionary Tales from the Strange World of Women's Studies"

I read it a while ago in I believe she adresses the issue of opression.

Sir Percy

Such repetition, 25 times just in the intro, is oppressive in itself. It is an hypnotic mantra. The reader has little explanation of what the oppression is that is being spoken off and no time to consider the scope or depth or appropriateness of the word before it is repeated again several times. The objective of the repetition is to build up a resentment and an anger, a sense of victimhood without allowing the reader the opportunity to determine if it is true or not. Further, the 'oppression' is historical, in the past, and  'oppression of other people, yet the feeling is in the present, in the person of the reader. Frankly it is not only intellectually dishonest, it is boring, mind numbing.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

gwallan

Quote from: "Factory"
Quote from: "gwallan"
Quote from: "Factory"
...based on half-truths and misunderstood history.

Not "misunderstood". Deliberately misrepresented.

I disagree.  Most of the women that I've talked to about this sort of thing genuinely DON'T know history as it's recorded...only the women's studies versions.

I guess it depends on the motives you ascribe to the authors of those books. It is their misrepresentation of history I was alluding to. I don't for a moment believe those authors simply "misunderstood" what they were writing about.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

Mr. Bad

Great thread E.!

I believe that the 'equality' aspect of feminism is germane to this conversation:  Feminists routinely argue that they are also very interested in equality between the sexes because according to their theories much, if not most, of the inequality we see today is due to power imbalance and oppression of women (and minorities) by (white) men.  However, I've yet to be able to get a feminist to debate or even discuss the many, many ways the men were also "oppressed."  This is crucial because while I personally believe that women were "oppressed" in times past, so were men - and IMO the "oppression" men experienced (and still do) far outweighs what women have endured.  Therefore explanations re. the causes of the inequality we observe between women and men don't hold up when "oppression" of women and men is weighed and accounted for.  

Lisa and typhon, care to take that topic on?  I'd sure like to see you two go for it.
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

Gungerassa

Quote from: "IMHO"
Good luck with finding a feminist.  They know they can only speak in certain feminist-friendly environments where everybody agrees the sky is pink with green polka dots.  Introduce reality to a feminist, and they refuse to debate.

EXACTLY!  Feminists have got what they want, so why allow themselves to be challenged.  

If it were about equality, they would be furious about the way the Duke-Lacrosse guys are being treated by a known liar.....It would be in the best interest of the NOW gang to make sure women don't lie about rape because that makes it bad for women who really have been raped, but they are silent about the matter....Not good.

manhoodsbliss

Dr Evil bloke ill debate but im british so my views may be bias and applicable to british women.  but find me some female anti feminists.

au revoir
 will wash the world

Mr. Bad

Quote from: "manhoodsbliss"
Dr Evil bloke ill debate but im british so my views may be bias and applicable to british women.  but find me some female anti feminists.

au revoir

All riiight, we have a taker!  Can't wait to see typhon take this lunatic, er, feminist on.  :ouch:  :popcorn:

And I think typhon's at least Canadian (God's country), so she's almost a Brit.
"Men in teams... got the human species from caves to palaces. When we watch men's teams at work, we pay homage to 10,000 years of male achievements; a record of vision, ingenuity and Herculean labor that feminism has been too mean-spirited to acknowledge."  Camille Paglia

Quentin0352

PLEASE LET IT BE PUBLIC! Just have everyone else promise not to post and if anyone does just delete their posts with a warning and those two having a known ground rule not to respond to any but eathother!

contrarymary

Did Dr. Evil check the IP on this to make certain it's not our good friend what's his name?  Indiana Jones?

The style of writing is somewhat similar.
quot;I can resist anything but temptation."

Oscar Wilde

CaptDMO

Quote from: "Quentin0352"
PLEASE LET IT BE PUBLIC! Just have everyone else promise not to post.....
\

Sput...grt....toh.....gree...whic...FINE! *harumph*
Fair enough! I guess I could abide.
I believe that was the idea from the onset.

typhonblue

Oh jeeze... I don't even know if I have time for a debate anymore.

Besides I think debating MHB would be akin to eating jello with chopsticks.

Luckynkl

I read your offer, Doc, in that other thread, which led me here.  So what is it you'd like to challenge me to do again?  Debate a Pokemon?   :lol:

Sorry.  I already shut off the cartoons and had breakfast.

dr e

So Lucky are you up for a serious debate?    Yes or no?

Or would you rather continue your insults and distractions?  As I remember it you already have two warnings so just one more and you will be gone.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Cog

Holy shit.

I take off a year or three, poke my head in to look see for old times sake and who do I see?  Lucky and Dr. Evil swapping spit in the shower (almost) just like the good old days.

Now all we need is Lynne and we can have ourselves a good old fasioned Ho-Down (sp?).

dr e

Cog!  Great to see you!  How you been?
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

Go Up