Assaulting a female?

Started by gwallan, Apr 10, 2006, 06:52 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

gwallan

I post this not because of rape or marriage issues but because of the reference to a charge of "assaulting a female". Is this somehow a different offense to "assault"?

Man charged with rape marries victim

A 33-year-old man charged with rape married his victim last week, Christchurch District Court was told today.

The man faced charges of rape, assaulting a female and breaching a
protection order. He pleaded guilty to the charges involving the assault and breaching a protection order.

The self-employed carpenter and his victim exchanged smiles after he was sentenced to a year's supervision. The couple, who wed last Thursday, six days before he was to face a depositions hearing, arrived at court together with a baby in a stroller.

Crown prosecutor Deidre Orchard told the court the rape charge could not go ahead because the new wife would not testify and could not be forced to give evidence.

Mrs Orchard said she did not like the man's attitude, as shown in the video interview with the police.

She said the court should send a message about domestic violence by sending him to jail on the assault charge, and the protection order breach.

Defence counsel Rupert Glover argued the couple had "got their lives together in a meaningful way" and wanted to move on with a clean start.

Judge Philip Moran noted that the offender - who cannot be identified without breaching the automatic suppression order on his wife as a former rape complainant - did spend a month in custody after his arrest.

He told the defendant that his record of a previous assault and two earlier breaches, meant he faced serious penalties if he offended again.

"If there's any repetition of this violence you will get locked up, your marriage will fail, and that will have disastrous consequences for the children at home and the young one you have brought to court."

He released the man on a year's supervision, and ordered him to undergo treatment or relationship counselling as directed.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

woof

Not the sharpest tool in the shed..... :shock:......although it did save him jail time for now, he might as well strap a bomb to his chest, and give her the switch, his life is solely in her hands.
A 33-year-old man charged with rape married his victim last week, Christchurch District Court was told today.

Yea I agree gwallen, but I find the judges remarks, even more remarkable.....
Mrs Orchard said she did not like the man's attitude, as shown in the video interview with the police.

She said the court should send a message about domestic violence by sending him to jail on the assault charge, and the protection order breach.
Even a whole village can't replace dad, children need both parents.

LibertyUNH

Yes -- assaulting a female by a male is a special crime in NZ and North Carolina.  It usually carries triple the penalty for common assault.

johnnyp

Quote from: "LibertyUNH"
Yes -- assaulting a female by a male is a special crime in NZ and North Carolina.  It usually carries triple the penalty for common assault.

hmmm, sounds sexist to me.  Is it not condescending to women for there to be "special" laws protecting them?

These quaint outdated laws never cease to amaze me.  I wonder if it is still against the law to go through town at a gallop.
 woman needs a man like a fish needs water

Go Up