Semi-Fluff Thread - Which famous man would you most like to

Started by contrarymary, May 22, 2006, 03:13 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

contrarymary

meet, living or deceased?

For me - hands down, Oscar Wilde.  And then Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.  

T. says definitely Albert Einstein.  

Both choices very indicative of our personalities.  T. is all about science and math, and I admire anyone with as much wit and literary talent as Wilde.  And his flamboyancy.

Both Einstein and Wilde were geniuses, but in different ways.

Why Nicholas?  He seemed like a beautiful man who never wanted to be Tsar, nor should he have been.  I just want to hear his version of the tragedy.

As far as someone still alive, I've met Al Stewart a few times, but never have had the privilege of speaking with him.  Al is extremely approachable, modest and talkative, and does love spending time with his fans, so I know he'd be willing to have dinner if we could ever arrange it.  He often dines with his fans after concerts.
quot;I can resist anything but temptation."

Oscar Wilde

gwallan

I did a list of this type a few years back

Aristotle
William Shakespeare
Oscar Wilde
Bertrand Russell
Ghandi
George Orwell
Gallileo
Frank Herbert
Elizabeth I
Martina Navratilova
Terry Pratchett

It was a top ten. Pratchett is a more recent addition.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

contrarymary

I don't think I'd care to meet Orwell, despite the fact he's one of my favorite authors.  I feel fairly certain he'd look down on me.  Wilde probably would as well, but he'd at least make me laugh.  Nicholas II was so unfailingly polite, he would be charming, I'm sure.

Oscar Wilde

gwallan

Quote from: "contrarymary"
I don't think I'd care to meet Orwell, despite the fact he's one of my favorite authors.  I feel fairly certain he'd look down on me.  Wilde probably would as well, but he'd at least make me laugh.  Nicholas II was so unfailingly polite, he would be charming, I'm sure.

Appearences can deceive. I've met a few famous people over the years(being good at sport opens doors and opportunities) and I've found they're often the exact opposite of what you might expect.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

Christiane

Benjamin Franklin.  Hands down.

contrarymary

Quote from: "gwallan"
Quote from: "contrarymary"

Appearences can deceive. I've met a few famous people over the years(being good at sport opens doors and opportunities) and I've found they're often the exact opposite of what you might expect.

From what I've read, both Orwell and Wilde were horrible snobs.

Oscar Wilde

contrarymary

Quote from: "Christiane"
Benjamin Franklin.  Hands down.

Oh, yes.  He would be wonderful to meet.  Great choice.

Oscar Wilde

whome112

I'd meet Richard Feynman if I had the chance.

The only famous person I've met is Mickey Rooney: A funny guy!

whome
ay what you mean: Mean what you say.
http://jwwells.blogspot.com

Go Up