Exploring personal gender bias

Started by VK, Jun 01, 2006, 04:27 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

VK

I've spent the day veiwing various websites through regender.com . Basically it switches all masculine words to feminine and v.v. It's really interesting to read for example, bbc news and see how out of place some of the headlines look if you swap gender. (Also reading this site, or a feminist site through the filter is very interesting. You notice gender where you don't usually see it, because it gets mentioned differently)

Phrases like "We have three children already, I want another baby, but my wife isn't interested", jumpt out at me because somewhere, unconciously, I expect people to act the way society says their gender role should. Slowly, I'm trying to drag it to the surface and notice all the assumptions I have about men and women that simply do not hold up.

Also, if you want a good laugh try it on a dating tips site. The advice given is simply hilarious why the genders are swapped round :) I found a lovely one suggesting if a women wants to get a guy, what she should do is go to a laundrette and play dumb - men apparently love "helpless" women who don't know how to do their own laundrey and need to be shown how to get stains out of clothes.

antimisandry

I'm impressed. I've only just tried your 'regender' playing, and used my own site as an example:

http://regender.com/swap/http://antifeminism.mathews.me.uk

What i liked - is it DOES recognise misandry, which is rare for most concepts like this. Even MS word and other dictionaries do not cover it. But this place did, it swapped the word "misogyny" for "misandry". Good stuff!

I also looked at my own forum through this site, and i've changed to Karen LOL

Angry Harry became Harriet and Duncan Idaho became Dorothy LOL Super stuff. great fun.

http://regender.com/swap/http://antifeminism.mathews.me.uk
ny man living in this feminized world has got to be tough to tolerate it.

>> http://antimisandry.com <<

Sir Percy

Have you ever tried to find a breast plate that actually FITS!! They make them only for pre-pubescent boys these days. For chaps with my girth, the only ones available are drab and kept on the top shelves out of sight. I am thinking of getting chest  reduction surgery.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

Setaseba

you lost me on that one sirrah

what did i miss?

The Gonzman

Quote from: "Sir Percy"
Have you ever tried to find a breast plate that actually FITS!! They make them only for pre-pubescent boys these days. For chaps with my girth, the only ones available are drab and kept on the top shelves out of sight. I am thinking of getting chest  reduction surgery.

Lamellar.  Titanium Lamellar.

Oh, yeah, baby.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

jaketk

I could not resist it.

CaptDMO

I like to use a lantern to lead me through the darkness.
I went to Mal wart seeking a new candle and all I could find were imported
torches that looked like light sabers.

Sir Percy

You couldn't resist it. I can see why.
Of course, there is a female disadvantage that's a counterpart to the male disadvantage - men are far freer to wear so-called "female" clothing styles without harassment than women are to wear men's (i.e., a man in slacks is nothing unusual in the US, a woman in a dress is often harassed and sometimes worse). I think sexism harms men more than women, on the whole, but it's clear to me that women are hurt by this system, too.

No one laughs at me when I wear a dress. Must be the beard and perhaps the sword. In fact most don't realise that under armour a noble Knight wears a silk shift. Very sensuous. Stops the rust chaffing. Of course, poor working Knights like me make do with a cotton one. I keep the silk one for 'best' and the more bespoke (k)night-work.
vil, like misery, is Protean, and never greater than when committed in the name of 'right'. To commit evil when they are convinced they are doing 'good', is one of the greatest of pleasures known to a feminist.

whome112

Our gender assumptions and prejudices are real and there when we look.

As most of you know there are two "problem" couples in my extended family. In one the male is abusive in the other the female. I find myself taking a MUCH harsher stance against the man. I have to work at it HARD to be fair and equal in the matters at hand.

For instance the man is now out of the house. He refuses to pay child support, which is typical for him. The women in the family (obviously) take a very harsh stand against him ... I have to listen carefully to my inner self to take a fair, balanced and reasonable stance.

The woman is still in the house and still being ... NASTY!

It's a fair inner-self shaker to have two such families relatively close to one. You'll see the assumptions and prejudices which infest you.

Also, I do all the cooking: I have for many years. Almost every person who comments on a dish we bring to a pot-luck will compliment my wife and ignore me. Almost universal ... It is a real view of the prejudices which infest our country.

whome
ay what you mean: Mean what you say.
http://jwwells.blogspot.com

johnnyp

It is odd seing headlines that say

"Inocent men and children were killed"
 woman needs a man like a fish needs water

The Gonzman

Quote from: "Sir Percy"
No one laughs at me when I wear a dress. Must be the beard and perhaps the sword. In fact most don't realise that under armour a noble Knight wears a silk shift. Very sensuous. Stops the rust chaffing. Of course, poor working Knights like me make do with a cotton one. I keep the silk one for 'best' and the more bespoke (k)night-work.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone asked me once if people ever laughed at me for wearing a kilt.  I reached up, patted my Claymore, and replied "Only once."

I only wish I had a picture of their face.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

damnbiker

It's not illegal to be a man...yet.

Go Up