A Brief History of Marriage (Planned Parenthood style)

Started by NobleTry, Jun 02, 2006, 08:25 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

NobleTry

::sigh::

A Brief History of Marriage

by Cindy Kuzma
10.11.04 (Updated June 2006)

"The union of a man and woman in marriage is the most enduring and important human institution, and the law can teach respect or disrespect for that institution."
-- President George W. Bush, in his July 10, 2004, radio address

It's an often-sacred ceremony that's sanctioned by the state. It's a contractual agreement based on the most fickle of emotions. And with a proposed constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage scheduled for a vote in the U.S. Senate during the week of June 5, the institution of marriage has also been fodder for newspaper headlines.

Throughout history, marriage has been many things to many people -- social glue, a protective net for children, a solemn commitment mirroring the ties between the human and the divine.

Scholars say, in fact, that the one thing marriage has never been is just one thing. "Marriage has been a dynamic, ever-changing institution," says Peter Bardaglio, an Ithaca College history professor and author of Reconstructing the Household: Families, Sex, and the Law in the Nineteenth-Century South. "In many ways, it goes to the heart of civil rights in the United States."

This dynamic, ever-evolving institution may be going through a sea change as more and more lesbians and gay men demand the civil right of legal marriage and all the respect and privilege that confers. The history of marriage has much to tell us about where this time-honored institution is headed.

A Tradition of Change

Supporters of the Federal Marriage Amendment, including President Bush, point to "traditional" heterosexual, monogamous marriage as the bedrock of society. However, earlier this year the American Anthropological Association countered that a century of research "supports the conclusion that a vast array of family types, including families built upon same-sex partnerships, can contribute to stable and humane societies."

"For all our talk about traditional family values, like any historian, I would ask, 'When did traditional values [begin]?'" says Steven Mintz, a University of Houston historian, national co-chair of the Council on Contemporary Families and co-author of Domestic Revolutions: A Social History of American Family Life. Some draw the traditional explanation from the biblical book of Genesis: "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife; and they shall be one flesh."

Since the days of Adam and Eve, though, marriage has followed a twisting and tumultuous path into modern life. The ancient Hebrews, according to the Old Testament, were polygamous. Cleopatra's Ptolemaic dynasty practiced brother-sister marriage in homage to the Egyptian gods Osiris and Isis. And in some Native American cultures, transgendered women born as biological males -- sometimes called berdache -- were among the most prized of wives.

More recently and closer to home, early American settlers brought a variety of marriage traditions to their new home. Primarily, the institution helped the elite consolidate power, wealth, and property. Common-law and other informal arrangements were more customary among the lower classes, says Stephanie Coontz, a family historian working on a new book about the history of marriage. They had little property to protect, and there simply weren't enough priests or judges to officiate their nuptials or organized records to track them. And slaves, a substantial percentage of the population, were forbidden to marry.

Gradually, the rights and rites of marriage became more available and essential to everyone. Spouses served complementary economic functions -- for instance, the wife of a hunter might process his furs -- and a legal marriage helped the husband lay claim to the benefits of his wife's labor. Children added even more wealth to the family by working in the fields, or, after the industrial revolution, in factories.

In the 1830s, another dynamic social and economic shift began to take place. "We stopped thinking of children in the first place as labor and began to think of them instead as a kind of cost that parents assume out of love," says Hendrik Hartog, a Princeton University historian and author of Man and Wife in America: A History. The function of marriage shifted again as the roles of mother and father were imbued with emotional significance.

When Love Comes to Town

Parental love, as we understand it today, may have been established in the 19th century, but romantic love, as we know it, didn't have much to do with marriage until around 1920. "As late as 1967, one poll of American college students showed that 75 percent of the young women said that they would marry a man they didn't love if he met their other criteria -- you know, if he was a good provider, and he was decent and sober," says Coontz, who is also director of research and public education for the Council on Contemporary Families.

The rise of love -- and a number of other economic and social factors, such as the increasing number of jobs for women and the widespread availability of birth control -- has allowed Americans to be pickier about whom and when we wed, Hartog says. "What's happened is that gays and lesbians haven't changed marriage, heterosexuals have changed marriage," says Andrew Cherlin, a sociologist at Johns Hopkins University and author of Public and Private Families: An Introduction. "They changed it from being about kids and rules and norms to being about personal satisfaction, companionship, and love. Now that that change has been made, that watershed has been crossed, there's no clear reason to exclude same-sex couples."

Not only is there no longer a reason to exclude same-sex couples, there are many compelling reasons to include them. Marriage remains a powerful symbol of the good life, Cherlin says, and it also affords spouses a generous cache of legal rights. "Just as at one point in our history slaves couldn't marry, and just as for years marriage could not take place across the color line, now we're seeing a struggle for marriage rights among people of the same sex," Bardaglio says. "From my perspective, these are all part of the same struggle for equality."

It's perhaps the highest sign of respect for the institution of marriage that even as heterosexuals are abandoning it in record numbers, same-sex couples are demanding it. When they get it, it will signify the triumph of that other cornerstone of American life -- democracy, complete with equal rights under the law.

Cindy Kuzma is an editor and freelance writer based in Chicago.

Somebody else

...but romantic love, as we know it, didn't have much to do with marriage until around 1920.

Never ceases to amaze me how myopic people can be. Where did all the romantic poetry and stories written before then come from?

'I can't even concieve of anything further back than my grandparents, so therefore, [insert topic] never happened before that.'
ust because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get you.

Thomas

And then she opened up a book of poems
And handed it to me
Written by an Italian poet
From the 13th century
And every one of them words rang true
And glowed like burning coals
Pouring off every page
Like it was written in my soul from me to you

-- Bob Dylan, Tangled Up in Blue.

From Italy1.com:
The greatest of Italian poets, Dante Alighieri, who had a high regard for Guinizelli, wrote his first book, La vita nuova (1292; The New Life, 1861), in the new style. In prose narrative interspersed with lyrics, Dante described his idealized love for his beloved, Beatrice. Dante and the other poets of the dolce stil nuovo, notably Guido Cavalcanti and Cino da Pistoia, made it one of the great schools of Italian poetry.
We Are Self-Exterminating Through The Collapse Of Fertility Rates.
The Death of Birth.
Fertility Rates Magazine.

The Gonzman

Quote from: "Thomas"
And then she opened up a book of poems
And handed it to me
Written by an Italian poet
From the 13th century
And every one of them words rang true
And glowed like burning coals
Pouring off every page
Like it was written in my soul from me to you

-- Bob Dylan, Tangled Up in Blue.

From Italy1.com:
The greatest of Italian poets, Dante Alighieri, who had a high regard for Guinizelli, wrote his first book, La vita nuova (1292; The New Life, 1861), in the new style. In prose narrative interspersed with lyrics, Dante described his idealized love for his beloved, Beatrice. Dante and the other poets of the dolce stil nuovo, notably Guido Cavalcanti and Cino da Pistoia, made it one of the great schools of Italian poetry.

Bah! Written by dead white men! History! Patriarchal!  Awk!  Polly wanna cracker!
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the MEANEST son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Thomas

Gonzo wrote:
Bah! Written by dead white men!

Dante is dead? Damn.
The Death of Birth.

gwallan

Quote from: "Thomas"
Gonzo wrote:
Bah! Written by dead white men!

Dante is dead? Damn.

And gone to hell.
In 95% of things 100% of people are alike. It's the other 5%, the bits that are different, that make us interesting. It's also the key to our existence, and future, as a species.

typhonblue

Quote from: "Somebody else"
...but romantic love, as we know it, didn't have much to do with marriage until around 1920.

Never ceases to amaze me how myopic people can be. Where did all the romantic poetry and stories written before then come from?

'I can't even concieve of anything further back than my grandparents, so therefore, [insert topic] never happened before that.'

Arranged marriage for economic reasons was pretty common throughout human history.

The concept of romantic love between men and women arose during the middle ages. Still, it wasn't expected to exist within marriage. I don't think romance was a prerequisite to marriage till the 20th century.

D

Planned Parenthood would sell us arsenic and convince us we have to fight for our right to take it.

Planned Parenthood is an offshoot of pharmecutical companies brainchild.  They don't care about Homos, in fact they used to advocate killing them to organize the purer race.  Gay marriage is that same eugenics thinking, it just takes a generation longer.

The Propaganda from Planned Parenthood is like bug spray, but it's human spray.  The Nazis in fact copied planned parenthood and used it as a defense at the Nuremburg trials.

Shades of Pale

The Song of Solomon was written BC (typically thought to be about 900 or so years BC.)   Well before the middle ages.  While marriage has typically had pragmatic reasons as well as romantic ones, to boldly claim (as this author has) romantic love wasn't part of things until early this century is one height of ignorance and perhaps arrogance.   There are also plenty of references in the Old Testament referring to romantic love within the context of marriage.

I think myopic perfectly describes this kind of tunnel vision.

GregA

I wasn't certain about it, so I googled it, but the Gilgamesh tablets contain the concept of romantic marriage.  Therefore, if the very oldest remaining literary works in history contain this concept, this claim is not only wrong, it is a lie.

Thomas

The concept of romantic love between men and women arose during the middle ages. Still, it wasn't expected to exist within marriage. I don't think romance was a prerequisite to marriage till the 20th century.

Jane Austin was writing about the critical importance of love in marriage by the very early 19th century.

In addition, this from bartleby.com (emphasis mine)
Eros, in Greek religion and mythology

(rīs, rī-) (KEY) , in Greek religion and mythology, god of love. He was the personification of love in all its manifestations, including physical passion at its strongest, tender, romantic love, and playful, sportive love. According to some legends he was one of the oldest of the gods, born from Chaos and personifying creative power and harmony. In most legends he was the son of Aphrodite and Ares and was represented as a winged youth armed with bow and arrows. In Greek poetry Eros was often a willful and unsympathetic god, carelessly dispensing the frenzies and agonies of love. At Thespiae and at Athens he was worshiped as a god of fertility. In Hellenistic and Roman myth, he was represented as a naked, winged child, the son and companion of Venus. To the Romans he was Cupid, or Amor. Eros was sometimes attended by his brother, Anteros, who was said to be the avenger of unrequited love or the opposer of love.

Romantic love long pre-dated the middle ages.
The Death of Birth.

typhonblue

There is a difference between romantic love existing and the expectation that romantic love preceede(and be an essential component of) marriage.

In Ancient Greece marriage was arranged between the father of a girl and her prospective husband. There wasn't an expectation of the girl being wooed or that love should *preceed* her marriage to her husband. Of course she was expected to love and be loyal to the man (she didn't choose) but that was because he was a *man*. Our notion of wooing and romance applies more to the relationships between young men and youths. A young man was expected to woo a youth with presents and favors to sway the youth's choice.

In Jane Austen's time marrying for love was still noteworthy because it was the exception not the rule. Most people married for convienence, not for romantic reasons.

Even today in other non-western societies marriages are arranged by the prospective bride and groom's parents, facilitated by a match-maker. The people in these same cultures look at our notions of marriage and romance as foriegn and often the reason behind our high divorce rates.

Marriage *was* an economic contract, historically. In the middle ages marriage for love was non-existant, notice that the old poems and dramas take place between two non-marrieds and that marriage often came between them, rather then being a culmination of their love for eachother.

"Dante married in 1285 Gemma Donati but his ideal lady and inspiration for his poetry was Beatrice Portinari. She married Simone dei Bardi in 1287."

--Dante Alighieri

Malakas

There is a difference between romantic love existing and the expectation that romantic love preceede(and be an essential component of) marriage.
:yes: Typhonblue.

So, if 'love and marriage' don't go together like a 'horse and carriage' - who is kidding whom?

Examples of indestructible love can be cited from History but the ending is usually tragic. Examples of indisolluble marriage are also common and the result is a feeling of entrapment.

If Love & Marriage is old hat. Neither love alone nor marriage alone can win. 'Love' (between men and women who are not genetically linked) is now a commodity, to be bought and sold. 'Marriage' is a once-sacred institution that may be subverted for financial gain. Just like religion or patriotism.

When George W. pontificates about 'family', I wonder what's his definition of family. It's a rhetorical question. You don't have to answer.  :)
'm an asylum seeker. Don't send me back.

Daymar

Marry:

# Nautical. To join (two ropes) end to end by interweaving their strands.
# To unite in a close, usually permanent way: "His material marries the domestic and the exotic" (Clifton Fadiman).

1. To join as spouses by exchanging vows.
2. To take as a spouse.
3. To give in marriage.

-----

Marriage is not marriage anymore. "Marriage" these days is just an upgraded version of a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship.

But boyfriends and girlfriends aren't forced by the state to divide their assets when they break up. Of course not, that would be stupid, wouldn't it?

VK

Quote from: "Somebody else"

An awful lot of traditionally romantic poetry and stories were homosexual or extramartial (Shakespeare, Guenieve/Lancelot). Choosing a marriage partner based on love, rather than your parent's political/finicial reason was frowned upon (Romeo/Julliet, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, pretty much all of Jane Austen, Tess Of the Durbavilles)

Go Up