Jowell plea on women tennis cash

Started by Julian, Jun 19, 2006, 08:11 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Julian

Culture secretary Tessa Jowell has called for women tennis stars to win the same prize money as men at the Wimbledon Championships.
In a letter to the All-England Lawn Tennis Club, which runs the tournament, Ms Jowell said she was deeply concerned by the gender gap.

This year the women's singles winner will get £625,000 - £30,000 less than the men's champion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5095204.stm

bedlam

I think if you look really hard at the revenue earned by the match you will find that one group probably "earns" more than the other.
Maybe that is what the prize money is based on? The revenue generated by the audience and advertisers.

johnnyp

I think the culture secretary is on to something.  It is sexist to have the women segregated.  

I think the entire tournament should be unisex, then we would not have any problems with representation or bias.
 woman needs a man like a fish needs water

dr e

Quote from: "johnnyp"
I think the culture secretary is on to something.  It is sexist to have the women segregated.  

I think the entire tournament should be unisex, then we would not have any problems with representation or bias.

I second that idea.

Add the two first prizes together and give it all to the best player on the field.  No more special olympics.
Contact dr e  Lifeboats for the ladies and children, icy waters for the men.  Women have rights and men have responsibilties.

scarbo

You guys are

Just

Freaking

AWESOME!!!!

I wish you could hear me applauding loudly. That response makes more sense than 2+2=4.

CaptDMO

About that the poop in the punchbowl-

I think the entire tournament should be unisex, then we would not have any problems with representation or bias.[/quote] This would last as long as it takes to realise women would consistantly be shut out of the upper cash positions. Some sponsors have graciously promoted tournies that handicap the field by virtue of gender, in an effort to "spread it around".

Perhaps when Culture secretary Tessa Jowell generates the cash that is
considered the prize, and when culture secretary is a title
common in professional sports arenas, then I might consider the proposal
anything other than a blatent cash/power grab.

In a letter to the All-England Lawn Tennis Club Ms. Jowell said she was deeply concerned by the gender gap.[/i] I,m deeply concerned that the stick up Ms. Jowell's ass may be causing extreem discomfort, and it may be affecting the seat of governance in this "appointed office". Did
ANYONE solicit the office of the cultural secratary to opine on pro sports?

Until the rules get adjusted to somehow compensate for sheer strength in
the name of "sportsmanship"

Maybe handicaping weights on wrists and ankles? Sound fasmiliar?

I think the unisex idea is ok when tennis is a sport. Once cash is involved,
it is no longer a sport. Perhaps a qualifier such as ball rate of speed or spin?

Auto racing-several tiers depending on average speed and arena-dirt/streets/banked tracks-no gender distinctions.

Folks don't bet astounding amounts of cash on Hai alai because the
ball moves slow enough for everybody to see it.

bluegrass

Well what you guys are missing is the fact that tennis -- and all other sports -- are specifically designed BY men For men to have an ADVANTAGE over women.  Tennis was designed by dead white men.

Tennis will need to be re-designed before it's made unisex in order for men and women to perform on an equal basis.  I say "perform" because "competition" will be the first thing done away with.

There will be no winners or losers.  Teams will be chosen based on how much people "feel" they "deserve" to be on the team.
"To such females, womanhood is more sacrosanct by a thousand times than the Virgin Mary to popes--and motherhood, that degree raised to astronomic power. They have eaten the legend about themselves and believe it; they live it; they require fealty of us all." -- Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers

hansside

Equal work should give equal pay. Men's matches are longer than Women's (more sets) matches so men earn more. Fair enough.

johnnyp

Quote from: "hansside"
Equal work should give equal pay. Men's matches are longer than Women's (more sets) matches so men earn more. Fair enough.

sounds to me like the men are being descriminated against.  Why must they play more sets in the age of equality?

hansside

sounds to me like the men are being descriminated against.  Why must they play more sets in the age of equality?

Good question. Maybe they should change that.

I have often seen women claiming to be more enduring than men.

johnnyp

Good question. Maybe they should change that.

I have often seen women claiming to be more enduring than men.

Yes - I have heard that women are better than men in most things - hmm I am so confused....

Darth Sidious

Great point.  You seem to be full of them today.

SIAM

A woman's match can be over in less than 40 minutes.  Men's matches can last up to 5 hours.  2 extra sets (potentially) is a massive difference in the amount of effort needed to win a match of tennis.  Only 30,000 less than men's top prize?  It is indeed unfair.  They should lower the women's cash prize to be 66% of the men's  - that would be commensurate with 3-sets-for-men-to-win as opposed to the women's 2-sets-to-win ratio.

TheManOnTheStreet

So, let me see if I have basic math down.. what with me being male 'n all...

Women get £625,000 top prize for 3 rounds.  That's 208333 per round.

Men get £655,000  top prize for 5 rounds.  That's 131000 per round....

Hmmmmmmm Who is being paid more?  Just WHOOOOOOO is being discriminated against?

And we wont even go into what the male matches draw is compared to the womens..... Followwwwwwww the money!

Ahem.  I know, too effin simple.

TMOTS
The Man On The Street is on the street for a reason.......

rantmeister

johnnyp wrote:
I think the culture secretary is on to something. It is sexist to have the women segregated.

Dr. Evil wrote:
I second that idea.

Add the two first prizes together and give it all to the best player on the field. No more special olympics.

This would be a valid point at the original Olympics in Greece. I think it's an amusing way to illustrate how we are never supposed to say that men outperform women in all sports - except maybe synchronized swimming. However, the suggestion that all female sports should be eliminated to get rid of sexist double standards earns the label of "lunatic fringe." It is unrealistic and unnecessary.

Why? Because athletes are really entertainers who do not do real productive work. In this sense, female tennis players are certainly capable of being equally entertaining. Or do you not enjoy watching Maria Sharapova play Martina Hingis? On the other hand, I don't find any players in the WNBA at all interesting. The public in general decides who has entertainment value.

The problem is, (as stated by hansside) that the women do not provide entertainment for equal amounts of time compared to men. Therefore, they should be paid less in proportion to the amount of time they spend on the court. If they want to be paid equal to men, then they can play 5 sets. Women are always bragging about their aerobics courses and how they have greater endurance to men, so 5 sets should not be a problem for them physically.

I have more of a problem with college sports and Title IX. I don't mind women competing in their own events, but this does create the mindset that women should be judged according to their own gender-normed standards. It conditions everyone to accept women as equals at whatever standard they demand. Scholarships should be given out on merit, and as such, universities should not be compelled to hand out equal numbers of grants to male and female athletes. I'm not saying that college female athletes should not get scholarships at all, I'm saying it should be up to the universities to decide without interference from the social engineering fascists. Universities should be free to invest more on sports that raise the most money. If female students want to play tennis, golf, or join the rowing team, they can sign up and pay for the classes.

Go Up